House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thecrashingisles

McCann police ask for more funding

9 hours ago, Errol said:

How long is it now???

She'd have been starting her GCSEs about now IF you believe she is still alive.  A very sad case whether still alive or not.

1 hour ago, Save me from the madness! said:

regardless of her parents leaving a primary school kid alone, the person responsible is the person(s) who took her.

if you left your laptop on the roof of the car would you expect it to be there when you get back ? 

There will always be wronguns on the look out.

10 hours ago, longgone said:

if you left your laptop on the roof of the car would you expect it to be there when you get back ? 

Yes.

And if it isn’t, then I have been the victim of a thief.

10 hours ago, longgone said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the laptop was gone, but there's a chance it would be there. The person responsible in the eyes of the law and quite correctly in my opinion would be the person who took it. Of course my negligence might have additional consequences like invalidating my insurance and for that I would be responsible.

I fully agree prevention is better then cure, and that there are many cases where being right is of little consolation (my laptops now stolen, I have a crime number and there's a chance someone out there may get caught, but really that is of little consolation to me). I just feel as a society we are losing our way in allocating responsibility for actions and frequently (and this thread is an example), people who committed the lesser contribution towards an event are the ones being allocated the primary responsibility.

Regarding the topic, whilst its right that the McCann's should never give up hope, sadly I feel the odds of uncovering something now are so low that I'm surprised the police are comfortable justifying this use of police time in the current climate, it does look strange.

Whilst I can feel for the parents, the guilt they must feel would be awful, surely we've reached the end of the road with this? Where is the focus for every other child that goes missing? What makes the McCann's plight so special?

https://www.childrenssociety.org.uk/what-you-can-do/campaign-join/make-runaways-safe?gclid=Cj0KCQiA_JTUBRD4ARIsAL7_VeVS6nX9FSfiFZ_dfOqW5ZHNG9p3ts2p9icI1wjUBZGu6Eyp9k_3eykaAhxaEALw_wcB

3 hours ago, Save me from the madness! said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the laptop was gone, but there's a chance it would be there. The person responsible in the eyes of the law and quite correctly in my opinion would be the person who took it. Of course my negligence might have additional consequences like invalidating my insurance and for that I would be responsible.

I fully agree prevention is better then cure, and that there are many cases where being right is of little consolation (my laptops now stolen, I have a crime number and there's a chance someone out there may get caught, but really that is of little consolation to me). I just feel as a society we are losing our way in allocating responsibility for actions and frequently (and this thread is an example), people who committed the lesser contribution towards an event are the ones being allocated the primary responsibility.

Regarding the topic, whilst its right that the McCann's should never give up hope, sadly I feel the odds of uncovering something now are so low that I'm surprised the police are comfortable justifying this use of police time in the current climate, it does look strange.

The parents have a duty of care to look after the child. they did not they lost. simple. 

investigation driven by self-guilt blame movement  not much else to elaborate on really. 

why not prosecute the parents for neglect, that would be a better use of funds so it focuses the mind of other brainless parents tempted to do the same thing. 

3 hours ago, BuyToLeech said:

Yes.

And if it isn’t, then I have been the victim of a thief.

no you would have been a participant in your own stupidity. 

22 minutes ago, longgone said:

no you would have been a participant in your own stupidity. 

And a victim of theft. They're not mutually exclusive. The thief is still a thief and should be treated as one if caught. The result of the stupidity (beyond the theft) is that an insurance company won't pay up.

14 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

insurance company won't pay up.

They obviously take the same approach as me then. 

Try claiming for your car being stolen with the keys left in the ignition.  

1 minute ago, longgone said:

They obviously take the same approach as me then. 

Try claiming for your car being stolen with the keys left in the ignition.  

I wouldn't expect them to pay up for that either, still doesn't make the thief any less culpable or less of a thieving scrote. The insurance company's position will be that your actions increased the risk beyond what they'd agreed to insure you for, so you hadn't kept your side of the deal, not that you hadn't actually been a victim of a crime.

2 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

still doesn't make the thief any less culpable or less of a thieving scrote.

if the world has people like that in it what do you expect.  plan for the worst and hope for the best is the best policy.  you will never be surprised. 

with the Mcann`s they are just passing blame to the authority with their stupidity, and hanging onto hope.  as posted already there are thousands of missing people.  where do these people go are there hundreds of psychopaths walking about kidnapping and killing people that we don`t know about ?  

missing = no crime 

1 hour ago, longgone said:

are there hundreds of psychopaths walking about kidnapping and killing people that we don`t know about ? 

The estimate I've seen is there are probably about 5 active serial killers in the UK at any given time.

2 hours ago, longgone said:

why not prosecute the parents for neglect, that would be a better use of funds so it focuses the mind of other brainless parents tempted to do the same thing. 

What's the Portuguese legal definition of parental neglect? It would be up to them to prosecute the case.

10 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

The estimate I've seen is there are probably about 5 active serial killers in the UK at any given time.

I think this is probably a very conservative estimate!

You would have been a participant in your own stupidity.

Or carelessness, or forgetfulness, or naivety, none of which are crimes, or even particularly deserving of criticism. 

Everyone makes mistakes, they don’t deserve to be robbed or killed.

And no amount of carelessness or recklessness justifies someone else’s intentional crime.

You’ll be excited to know that the psychological error you are making (and it is an error) has been studied.  The best explanation for it is related to the ‘just world hypothesis’

By blaming victims for their imagined stupidity or moral shortcomings, you can comfort yourself that you aren’t going to be a victim, because you don’t have those shortcomings (or so you think).

Sadly, this is untrue.  In fact, the world is not just, and bad things are often outside our control.  And, in any case, we all have those shortcomings.

One day, you will forget to lock your door, or be distracted for a second while driving, or leave your laptop on top of a car. When that happens, I hope for your sake that the people around you aren’t afflicted with the same comforting delusions.

There are a few modes of reinterpretation that could make an event fit the belief in a just world...

... In the case of observing the injustice of the suffering of innocent people, one major way to rearrange the cognition of an event is to interpret the victim of suffering as deserving.[1] Specifically, observers can blame victims for their suffering on the basis of their behaviors and/or their characteristics.[7] Much psychological research on the belief in a just world has focused on these negative social phenomena of victim blaming and victim derogation in different contexts.[2]

An additional effect of this thinking is that individuals experience less personal vulnerability because they do not believe they have done anything to deserve or cause negative outcomes.[2]This is related to the self-serving biasobserved by social psychologists.[9]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just-world_hypothesis

You’re welcome. 

23 hours ago, longgone said:

media attention. 

So why the media attention on this particular disappearance? What is it that captures the media, and then public, eye?

1 hour ago, AThirdWay said:

So why the media attention on this particular disappearance? What is it that captures the media, and then public, eye?

sells papers does it not ? 

parents pushed the case in the first instance. both professional people. 

i guess the media think it goes against the grain, these things could only happen to families from a sink estate on holidays. not some doctors.