House Price Crash Forum
Si1

Boomers demand free stuff

I got a bus a couple of years ago, train was cancelled, enjoyed a pleasant half hour journey through the country lanes on a bus with two other people. old woman got on in renowned overpriced posh village handing out leaflets to "save this bus service" I said "no ones using it, I don't blame them for shutting it down - what they need to do is build a load of houses here then it'll justify having a bus through this way" 

she kept quiet after that, thought everyone would be behind her precious campaign to save her precious bus that two people use on a good day.

It's a vicious squirqle , buses are a tedious nightmare so nobody goes on them so they don;t justify any spend so they are a tedious nightmare. 

For any Londonistas, buses outside the capital are a tedious nightmare that take seven hours to go two miles via 38 stops.

33 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

It's a vicious squirqle , buses are a tedious nightmare so nobody goes on them so they don;t justify any spend so they are a tedious nightmare. 

For any Londonistas, buses outside the capital are a tedious nightmare that take seven hours to go two miles via 38 stops.

A squirqle  you might be onto something there ?

3 hours ago, thewig said:

she kept quiet after that, thought everyone would be behind her precious campaign to save her precious bus that two people use on a good day.

Using free bus passes

1 minute ago, thewig said:

which they earned by working their entire lives from 16-50 years old

What did they do after 50?

4 minutes ago, Si1 said:

Using free bus passes

The bus pass doesn't mean the journey is free. It just means that the local council pays 60% of the standard adult fare on your behalf. It basically ensures that the bus company keeps its standard adult fares as high as possible which has an obvious deterrent effect on casual users.

5 hours ago, Si1 said:

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/15986446.Cuts_to_Swindon_to_Cirencester_bus_service_concerns_residents/

Young tax payers and service users priced out of living in the area, but some oldies want services for free anyway...

It really pisses me off when my parents complain they might lose their bus pass and but then when I complain about the cost of housing they have no interest at all. Their answer to every single question is they have worked hard all there life. I retort this by stating I never suggested they haven't, that we just want the same opportunities they have enjoyed. They just seem unable to see that their problem of not having a bus pass is a tiny issue compared to not actually haven't a secure place to live. Rant over!

39 minutes ago, Si1 said:

Using free bus passes

Thank goodness for free bus passes......keeps people that shouldn't be driving off the roads safer for everyone and less road congestion, bus drivers with a job......anyway the richer pensioners do not travel or wouldn't be seen on busses, they either drive or get a cab.;)

Small village on my commute, has 3 bus stops in each direction all within walking distance. I've seen busses set off from one after picking someone up to drop someone else off at the next. Why not just consolidate them in to one or only use one per route? Huge scope for greater efficiency but then someone would have to walk their far arses 100m more to the nearest stop... boohoo.

1 hour ago, Ah-so said:

What did they do after 50?

Retired early, bought buy to lets. Then took wages directly from the pockets of 16-50 year olds who can't afford the price of buses and trains. Guessing 

1 hour ago, Philby1 said:

It really pisses me off when my parents complain they might lose their bus pass and but then when I complain about the cost of housing they have no interest at all. Their answer to every single question is they have worked hard all there life. I retort this by stating I never suggested they haven't, that we just want the same opportunities they have enjoyed. They just seem unable to see that their problem of not having a bus pass is a tiny issue compared to not actually haven't a secure place to live. Rant over!

It’s all part of the same problem, lack of money to pay for their free bus pass is because of the greed in society.. The everything bubble is consuming the people that pay the taxes, working tax credits and housing benefits are draining the money away like a bath with the plug out..

:stop mass imigration of 0 tax jobs and automate.

:Heavly tax 2nd homes.. that will crash prices and get rid of the BTL parisites 

:stop the gig economy, low tax, low hours worked jobs are lowering productive economic output.. 

:re nationalise key infrastructure so all our utilities remain cheap.. 

:heavly invest in technology and science, not builders and bankers

everyone pays more tax, services are properly funded, cost of living is cheaper, more disposable income.. economy thrives.. BTL leeches get jobs and stop sponging off the young! ?

4 hours ago, Funn3r said:

True and not true. I live 5 miles out of oxford and most get the bus. The bus lane makes it much faster than driving plus there is no where to park or if you can find a space it’s £15 for the day. Buses to my village every run 10 minutes till 3.30 in the morning. 

2 hours ago, macca13 said:

It’s all part of the same problem, lack of money to pay for their free bus pass is because of the greed in society.. The everything bubble is consuming the people that pay the taxes, working tax credits and housing benefits are draining the money away like a bath with the plug out..

:stop mass imigration of 0 tax jobs and automate.

:Heavly tax 2nd homes.. that will crash prices and get rid of the BTL parisites 

:stop the gig economy, low tax, low hours worked jobs are lowering productive economic output.. 

:re nationalise key infrastructure so all our utilities remain cheap.. 

:heavly invest in technology and science, not builders and bankers

everyone pays more tax, services are properly funded, cost of living is cheaper, more disposable income.. economy thrives.. BTL leeches get jobs and stop sponging off the young! ?

Yes please. Which party are you with so I know who to vote for?

8 hours ago, Funn3r said:

Its true. To get the bus to town it takes 45 minutes and a change of bus too. I can drive it in 5 minutes door to car park. Only 2 miles. Why would you use the bus>?

Where I am if you are a casual user the bus is £5 for a 2mile journey that takes about 30-45mins (1hr if there is rush hour traffic). Oddly you could get a county pass for about £6. I suspect not many use the bus for longer journeys!