House Price Crash Forum
ftb_fml

£225k, 12.6m^2 Oxford "Studio Flat"

Here.

What appears to be a converted shop in the back streets of East Oxford - an area that's quite a way out from the city centre,  popular with students and a little bit ropey in places. 

According to this source the average cost of property outside of the city centre is around £5k/m^2. The flat we used to rent on the other side of town (older, less trendy but nicer and closer to town / the station) worked out at about £5k/m^2 when it sold. Moving out of town a bit further, £280k would get you a whole two-bedroom house with garage, which also works out at about £5k/m^2 (exc. garage). £275k would have bought you a bit of a converted Victorian schoolhouse 5 mins walk from the city centre, which works out at around £10k/m^2. By comparison this "flat" in East Oxford works out at nearly £18k/m^2 :blink:

So it's "trendy" and well-furnished (pretty much its only selling points which the agents are clearly clinging desperately to in the ad), but with those massive windows and only one room that's arguably liveable-in it's going to be like a goldfish bowl. Based on floor space alone (and being generous with it) it's got to be worth £100k tops. 

I think some profiteering individual has massively mis-judged the market (I wonder if it was the developer or agent - I'm guessing the former as the agents can't be that optimistic / thick).Hopefully those responsible lose a lot of money as a result of their greed. Will be interesting to see what it eventually sells for...

Less than 13 metres sq.  Obscene and this kind of thing really needs to be outlawed.  People need to have a minimum space to live in.

6 minutes ago, quine said:

Less than 13 metres sq.  Obscene and this kind of thing really needs to be outlawed.  People need to have a minimum space to live in.

To be fair, if the wind up that massive plastic curtain they'll be in the middle of the street with plenty of light. "It's like being there". 

Aye.. I think their only hope is that some filthy-rich Saudi oil baron will buy it for his spoilt offspring to squat in while they float through a made-up course at Brookes Uni... there seem to be enough of them ragging their brand new AMG Mercs around the city centre / abandoning them on double-yellows :rolleyes:

Edited by ftb_fml

Not even space for a bed!!!!! I couldn't see a place to put the TV either!

"A small home with a big attitude and an inexpensive introduction in to the Oxford property market." - you can buy 3 bed semi's with a garden for that round my way!!!! Shoot me now, I can't take the way this country is going!

I'm so gutted Rightmove doesn't allow comments against listings!

gonna keep a keen eye on this one, that diagonal entry front door has caught my attention, I'd turn that into the shower, then convert that massive walk in shower to a second bedroom/study - lose some of that front window for a front door, bosh we got ourselves a two bed

not gonna bang in an offer just yet as never want to appear *too* keen but I'd be willing to go to £325k if the right bidding war presents itself

Lot of old fuddy duddys on this forum. Dontcha know that the modern young thing lives their entire life with a camera on them broadcasting to the world. Noting is off limit, certainly not bedroom olympics.

This is just taking the concept one step further.

Obviously I think the developers have not been avant garde enough and the toilet should have been in the middle of the shop window in an elevated position. That would have created extra space beneath it, may even have got an extra unit in.

19 minutes ago, Save me from the madness! said:

I'm so gutted Rightmove doesn't allow comments against listings!

Yeah, but there's no reason why a plugin can't be used to enable comments on any webpage. There are a few of these things on chrome app store, but needs to gain traction. I wish they'd incorporate one as standard into browsers to allow 'free speech' and stop moderation.

Why must you always be so negative?

Look at the positives... when you are struggling to cover the mortgage you can put some stickers on the windows and turn it into a micro cafe. ;)

It's bijoux living donchaknow.

It's not even the lack of space that hits me most. Obviously paying 225k to sleep in your kitchen on a sofa bed with no storage beyond a change of clothes is pretty galling.

But those windows. It's like no effort was made to attempt to make this a home. This is a gentrified shanty. Cramming people into any available space for the minimal cost and effort while doing all you can to superficially pretend it's trendy urban living.

I am fairly familiar with crazy Oxford prices, but this really does take the cake.  At that price I'd have thought it'd be in Jericho or similar, or at least within spitting distance of the dreaming spires, but even then...

I do keep an eye on OX3 and OX4 - prices are definitely stagnating if not actually falling much (asking prices that is),  houses languishing on the market for ages,  quite a few reductions on Zoopla. Also quite a few empty HMOs on the market - certainly signs of LLs hoping to get out while the going's still good. One HMO I saw recently was reduced from £750k to just under £600k, IIRC.  

2 minutes ago, Mrs Bear said:

I am fairly familiar with crazy Oxford prices, but this really does take the cake.  At that price I'd have thought it'd be in Jericho or similar, or at least within spitting distance of the dreaming spires, but even then...

I do keep an eye on OX3 and OX4 - prices are definitely stagnating if not actually falling much (asking prices that is),  houses languishing on the market for ages,  quite a few reductions on Zoopla. Also quite a few empty HMOs on the market - certainly signs of LLs hoping to get out while the going's still good. One HMO I saw recently was reduced from £750k to just under £600k, IIRC.  

Link? what do you know? whats the story? is it still available? would they take a nibble at £775k you reckon?

3 minutes ago, thewig said:

Link? what do you know? whats the story? is it still available? would they take a nibble at £775k you reckon?

You never know your luck - why not be generous?   Owner who's been so nobly providing homes for so many since he bought it for £98k in the late 90s (IIRC) quite obviously deserves a ginormous fat profit.  

Re Oxford HMOs again, I do wonder how much of a hit they're mostly going to have to take.  Even if they 'only'  bought at the height of the boom in say 2006/7, prices have doubled since then, if not more - who is ever going to make an HMO pay at these prices?  And they're mostly pretty grotty, so anyone looking to convert to a family home would have to spend a hell of a lot to bring it up to scratch -  can very likely get one ready to live in for same or less - not to mention that a lot of HMOs are in less desirable  roads/areas anyway.  

Edited by Mrs Bear

I was born and raised 15 mins from Oxford. I moved to Glasgow last year because of this type of lunacy.

Apart from there being nothing to do locally (Oxford satellite towns don't have much going on) the houses prices are extortionate. And there's not much to do in Oxford either to be honest should you venture in.... a few nice bars, that's it. Last train back is usually cancelled (always engineering work), the football is dire and the university says "no" to any fun proposals for activities, shopping malls, sports, etc. The Oxford University mafia basically want to keep the town academic (and boring). Which also means expensive.

The worst thing is the local girls refuse to move away from the surrounding towns (because how on earth would they survive without living on the same estate as their sister/mum/nan) so you're stuck with nothing to do at weekends and a crippling mortgage for a tiny ex-council house. Oh, and you'll be lucky to find a woman to date without kids - so not only will they expect you to mortgage yourself to the hilt to live on some horrible and/or bland estate with nothing (nothing!!!) to do but visit an overpriced estate pub, you're putting up with their ex too and subsiding her kids. And they expect you to do so.

Did I mention everyone that lives around Oxford is a chalk-head too? Can't remember the last date I went on in Oxfordshire without the girl I was dating saying her ex was a violent coke fiend. Still - they thought it was a good idea to have at least one kid with him.

What I think I want to say is f#ck Oxfordshire and anyone that is stupid/uninteresting/low-aspirational enough to buy there...... or stupid enough not to sell what  they own and move somewhere else and buy outright with the money they made.

Took me 34 years to move but glad I did. And if the property market crashes in Glasgow I don't care, I'm watching Champions League football at Celtic Park and there's plenty to do. There's worst places to be stuck.