House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Si1

Have private rail firms been gaming the East coast mainline franchise?

The system is a bloody mess, it's set up to encourage huge bids for the franchise  (the opposite of "cheapest bidder", but still stems from the same mentality) which makes it almost impossible to actually run the thing profitably. Why is the East Coast main line should be so badly affected (not that it's been smooth sailing with others)? I guess it's seen as the premier London to Scotland line.

16 hours ago, Riedquat said:

The system is a bloody mess, it's set up to encourage huge bids for the franchise  (the opposite of "cheapest bidder", but still stems from the same mentality) which makes it almost impossible to actually run the thing profitably. Why is the East Coast main line should be so badly affected (not that it's been smooth sailing with others)? I guess it's seen as the premier London to Scotland line.

I believe it's the premier mainline in the UK, period. Least risk, technically best, best markets. Least fragmented.. License to print money in the good times. Limited liability subsidiary company works like a charm in the bad times.

I say "seen as" because it clearly hasn't always been so, for example it was electrfied much later than the west coast line, and on the electrification front it's certainly not technically the best, it was done on the cheap and is rather more prone to failure as a result. Best markets? The west coast line probably serves more large places (I'd have to look at a map to be sure of that though). It's straighter (not sure if it's shorter) though, so potentially faster.

8 hours ago, Riedquat said:

I say "seen as" because it clearly hasn't always been so, for example it was electrfied much later than the west coast line, and on the electrification front it's certainly not technically the best, it was done on the cheap and is rather more prone to failure as a result. Best markets? The west coast line probably serves more large places (I'd have to look at a map to be sure of that though). It's straighter (not sure if it's shorter) though, so potentially faster.

All fair points. East Anglia and East Yorkshire and Leeds seem to have transitioned more and better to the post industrial economy than your Staffords, Lancaster's and Crewes. However i have absolutely no data to back this up and it's all frankly heresay so I may be talking ****** too :)