House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
macca13

Wales ends Right to Buy

5 hours ago, macca13 said:

The jig is up.. in Wales at least.. one of the biggest BTL landlords I’ve met made his deposit from this to start his empire denying others the opertunaty he was afforded.. so I’m pleased they have done it.. 

http://www.wrexham.com/news/scrapping-of-right-to-buy-scheme-in-wales-given-royal-assent-144158.html

This shite should end everywhere!!

I was half listening on Radio 4 to some councillor (in London I think) also suggesting  an end to Right to Buy.... Yay!!

He then went on to suggest the tenants could be given money to use as a deposit to buy a house of their own... FFS!!

I really don't see the problem with Right To Buy as long as the money is reinvested in new housing stock. Why not encourage those who have the means to *buy* their housing association/council home? The local authority *should* then be forced to reinvest the process in constructing a new home at least for each one lost, possibly more. Construction cost is a relatively small part.

50 minutes ago, oatbake said:

I really don't see the problem with Right To Buy as long as the money is reinvested in new housing stock. Why not encourage those who have the means to *buy* their housing association/council home? The local authority *should* then be forced to reinvest the process in constructing a new home at least for each one lost, possibly more. Construction cost is a relatively small part.

Right to Buy with no discount would be fine, but if LAs are forced to sell houses for less than it costs to replace them of course the social housing stock will dwindle.

1 hour ago, HowMuch! said:

local authority has first refusal to buy back the property at the same discount.

The discounts should be abolished entirely. What is being rewarded here, living in a council house for a certain number of years? Why does that need to be rewarded?

If we must have the RTB discount, I propose simplifying it. Rather than going through all the fuss of a property transaction to collect their reward we should just make a cash transfer from the government into the bank account of council house occupants. Lived there for 3 years? Here's 35% of the value of the property, in cash, tax free. 40 years? Here's £100k courtesy of the hardworking private tenant in the flat next door. 

Edited by Dorkins