HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
13 hours ago, maverick73 said:

Are the leaseholders allowed to source their own cladding?

Leaseholders are allowed to get together and hire some lawyers to sue the company that stuck firelighters on the outside of their building in the first place.

Note to bail out campaigning politicians. If you're gonna do anything, do this. Make it criminal and you can pursue the directors - people who actually made the decision/did the deed raher than allow them to declare bankrupcy and drive off to their villa in the rolls.

Anyone think our country's systems are broken?

HOLA449
19 hours ago, ebull said:

Leaseholders are allowed to get together and hire some lawyers to sue the company that stuck firelighters on the outside of their building in the first place.

Note to bail out campaigning politicians. If you're gonna do anything, do this. Make it criminal and you can pursue the directors - people who actually made the decision/did the deed raher than allow them to declare bankrupcy and drive off to their villa in the rolls.

Anyone think our country's systems are broken?

Very broken, run without morality as everyone chases fiat money ?

• 2 years later...
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

What an unfair, dangerous and unjust situation to find self in, through no fault of own......could buy a nice freehold with that.....even more reason to not buy a leasehold, only good enough to rent short-term, shorter the better....shorted.;)

HOLA4412
1 hour ago, winkie said:

What an unfair, dangerous and unjust situation to find self in, through no fault of own......could buy a nice freehold with that.....even more reason to not buy a leasehold, only good enough to rent short-term, shorter the better....shorted.;)

The list of reasons to avoid leasehold must be as long as War & Peace.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Leaseholders should and must be forced to pay for the upkeep of their properties, regardless of cost.

It's clear for anyone to read when buying, that you absolutely have liability for those cost, and you purchase entirely on that understanding. 

If, after firstly paying the charge, you choose to pursue a management company for their negligence, then of course that's your prerogative.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
1 minute ago, msi said:

Tory Logic: 

1) Leaseholders > Poor > Labour Voters > F**k em

2) Building companies > Rich > Donors > see 1)

Management Company = Rich

Sue them if they believe they'll successfully win the case.

If not, why did they put themselves in the position of paying such an extortionate price knowing they couldn't afford the liabilities?

HOLA4417

I once rented a flat from a work mate and he happened to show me details of management charges, minutes of meetings etc.

The "grounds" were a couple of strips of grass and a few shrubs.

Although I can't recall the amounts I do recall being absolutely stunned by the size of the bills for virtually zero effort and what there was had been poorly carried out.  Grass was ok, they couldn't really screw that up.

Management companies are also often lazy and incompetent. From previous experience elsewhere I found getting them to do to their job can be very difficult.

All this makes me think that abuse of leaseholders and associated corruption must be rife throughout the country.

If I had the choice of a leasehold flat to purchase or rent, I'd just rent it.

HOLA4418
17 minutes ago, Bluestone59 said:

If I had the choice of a leasehold flat to purchase or rent, I'd just rent it.

Prior to the housing mania, it was much more normal to rent a flat that was part of a block wholly owned by the same landlord. Makes sense.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
4 minutes ago, longgone said:

surely the responsibility lies with the freeholder of the building ?

....of course......but they will try to get away with it if they can.......wanting all the benefits and none of the disadvantages, passing the buck.....way of the world today.;)

HOLA4424
1 minute ago, longgone said:

why do leases exist then ? what you paying a lease extension for if the building is not owned. 

I'll correct mysel, as i gave you the wrong answer. It depends on the freehold and on the lease. Perhaps a more knowledgeable person can clarify this?

HOLA4425