House Price Crash Forum
Saving For a Space Ship

Cape Town Countdown to Water Running out for 1/2 Million People Apr 16th 2018

Popcorn ready on this one.. 

What happens when a city has the taps turned off ? 

Countdown clock 

https://www.enca.com/south-africa/countdown-clock-day-zero-looms-for-cape-town

Article

https://worldview.stratfor.com/article/cape-town-water-crisis-countdown-day-zero

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

Yeah, this is one the legacy media hasn't been too keen to look into.

In this case I would blame out of their depth city officials (population grew massively, infrastructure not upgraded).

But I am a big follower of Chris Martenson and his "peak prosperity" concept (basically we are hitting a wall on growth, because we have hit a wall on physical resources, particularly cheap oil).  I can see more and more problems with our most important resource, water, as the population continues to grew, while under ground water aquifers are depleted.

I was in Cape Town last week, I work on a large cruise ship, we had to load our fruit and Veg in Cape Town for the next leg, prices are easily double the UK and poor quality, the malls all have the taps turned off in the toilets, and no flushing urinals, was starting to smell a bit bad, Last year when we called in they had a drought, but this year is serious.

27 minutes ago, Mancunian284 said:

Right at the end of the Big Short, Christian Bale’s character is asked what he is betting on next (after he had successfully predicted the sub prime crisis), he replies “water”.

Indeed London is looking at a drought this summer and they already have desalination plants on the Thames estuary 

2 hours ago, Mancunian284 said:

Right at the end of the Big Short, Christian Bale’s character is asked what he is betting on next (after he had successfully predicted the sub prime crisis), he replies “water”.

I actually watched that this weekend - brilliant film.

Also I'm sure the original d day for this was the 12th so at least they have squeezed another 4 days... very small comfort I assume 

Edited by A third of everything
Typo

11 hours ago, Mancunian284 said:

It's been obvious for a lot longer than that. You need a PhD in economics not to understand why.

ov-simmons1.jpg

16 hours ago, debtlessmanc said:

Indeed London is looking at a drought this summer and they already have desalination plants on the Thames estuary 

Nowhere on any news report I have seen is there any mention of desalination plants operating in Cape Town.  Why haven't they got any?  It would seem the obvious answer seeing as they're on the coast??

(Scratches head)

20 hours ago, reddog said:

In this case I would blame out of their depth city officials (population grew massively, infrastructure not upgraded).

Problem is twofold:

1) Statism

2) Demographics

2 hours ago, shavedchimp said:

I believe 3 desalination plants are due to be completed in the near future, next few weeks....but yes it's too little too late

Desalination is very energy intensive.. another problem.

18 hours ago, A third of everything said:

I actually watched that this weekend - brilliant film.

Also I'm sure the original d day for this was the 12th so at least they have squeezed another 4 days... very small comfort I assume 

Great film isn’t it.  I’m going to rewatch it this weekend as it feels as though we’re on the edge of something similar at the moment.

14 hours ago, Bricks n' mortar said:

Great comment! :)

The article had all the London-cliches! But I noted

"House prices have also benefited from the continued “semigration” trend of property buyers from Johannesburg, Tshwane and KwaZulu-Natal relocating to the Western Cape – particularly Cape Town, in search for a more relaxed lifestyle."

(my emph). thats a nice way of putting it...

Edited by dryrot