House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone had a seizure?

After a bike ride on Friday I felt very dizzy... Saw lights in front of my eyes... Woke up 2 hrs later on the sofa with jelly legs and no idea how I got there. I'm convinced I had a seizure, and my arms and legs are still aching. I went to A&E but all their tests were clear...

No witnesses to any of it. It also happened a few years back and a witness confirmed I was "fitting" that time.

Sounds like a petit mal or absence seizure but the previous one sounds more serious, almost a grand mal or tonic/clonic event. Did you mention the previous one to the medics this time around? Iask as afew years backmy aunt had an absence seizure and has a family history of epilepsy which resulted in lifelong medication.  

Thinking more about it, just a guess you understand, I'm inclined to think that with the aching muscles and absence of recollection, you first had a petit mal and then followed it with a more serious event when you got home. Either way, it needs further investigation as if confirmed you won't be able to drive. Hope I'm wrong but sorry if I'm correct.

2 hours ago, solentmuppet said:

Thinking more about it, just a guess you understand, I'm inclined to think that with the aching muscles and absence of recollection, you first had a petit mal and then followed it with a more serious event when you got home. Either way, it needs further investigation as if confirmed you won't be able to drive. Hope I'm wrong but sorry if I'm correct.

Surely, isn't GSP saying he had aching legs after he passed out, not before?

I've blacked out myself once, but my resting systolic is so very low, it's not that surprising.

I suppose the distinguishing thing here is the fitting? Are we to wonder whether GSP's muscles weakness / aches following his "absence" stems from spasms? (not a medic I should add) Or is it just post exercise exhaustion and cramping from salt depletion? In my experience (though I've never blacked out post exercise) BP can drop after a workout, presumably because of its affect on the renin-angiotensin system.

What's your resting BP GSP?

My resting BP is normal, occasionally on the cusp of high.

The bike ride was very sedate (for me) and has never caused aches before, certainly not arms too.

The visual disturbances and wobbly legs that marked the start of this were just as I got into the house. I was only a few metres from the sofa where I woke up so I must have made it the last few steps before I blacked out. So it was all part of the same thing with no break.

The doctor in A&E said his test for lactate in the muscles was negative... (Indicator of muscle spasms). I wonder whether my high level of fitness meant the lactate had disappeared (there was 6hrs between incident and test).

13 hours ago, Sledgehead said:

Surely, isn't GSP saying he had aching legs after he passed out, not before?

I've blacked out myself once, but my resting systolic is so very low, it's not that surprising.

I suppose the distinguishing thing here is the fitting? Are we to wonder whether GSP's muscles weakness / aches following his "absence" stems from spasms? (not a medic I should add) Or is it just post exercise exhaustion and cramping from salt depletion? In my experience (though I've never blacked out post exercise) BP can drop after a workout, presumably because of its affect on the renin-angiotensin system.

What's your resting BP GSP?

I'm guessing that the aches may have been because of a fit so to speak but I must add this isn't my speciality. Other than that I'm unsure. Thanks for the input though. 

My mother used to have similar dizzy spells and then collapses, started off as one or two every year or so at first then it progressed to about every other week, remember my father having to constantly collect her after another collapse at work. Eventually diagnosed with Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia syndrome (POTs) after years of doctors being totally puzzled. For her she was susceptible to collapse immediately after a change of position ie. from standing to sitting in a particular position to lying and anything in between basically. Soon learned to take heed of the 30 seconds/minute or so warning she gets from dizziness and lie down immediately, as a result its been a while since she had one.