House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
North London Rent Girl

Radio 4 Woman's Hour - more lovely landlord behaviour

Yesterday's woman's hour had a bit about landlords and tenants. Landlords letting places for sex and one couple's awful experience of finding that their landlord was secretly filming them. The police wouldn't do anything about it. Polly Neate from Shelter was excellent, she kept highlighting that the underlying problem is the fact that tenants can be evicted too easily and have basically no power. Definitely worth a listen. I would say it was a new low for landlords except there's more of a 18th/19th-century feel to it. Didn't post it yesterday because I thought we've all heard enough stuff about shitty behaviour by landlords but it does make a 'good' companion for the guardian article on here about squalid housing. God. Have a nice Sunday everyone.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09ppzx4

edit - it's the first thing on, 1.06 mins in if you really can't wait.

Edited by North London Rent Girl

Yes - it was shocking. It's a shame they didn't get a police representative on the programme to explain why there wasn't any action.

I heard this. It was grim. The most shocking aspect for me was the police's attitude to the crime that the landlord was committing against the tenant couple. From her telling of events there was clear evidence of the crime and the police would have been able to find more evidence if they looked into it. People are definitely prosecuted for voyeurism. So either the officers didn't know the law, or for some reason were just completely dismissive of this crime. 

You are right the whole thing had a Dickensian London feel to it. They did a good job of linking it to poor tenants rights but I'm always a bit uneasy by placing everything (ie any aspect of a dysfunctional housing market) in the context of a shortage of housing, but that's because I'm not completely convinced by it.

Presumably the landlord in question is continuing to act like a complete perv to his current tenants with impunity.

11 minutes ago, Freezer? Best place for it said:

What's the betting that the Copper that initially attended, and said no crime committed, was also a BTL landlord.

What's the betting that the Copper that initially attended, and said no crime committed, was also the tenants' a BTL landlord.

Was shocked by the police not taking action for a well-understood crime - voyeurism. 

But I also couldn't believe that they didn't change the locks.

3 hours ago, xiox said:

Yes - it was shocking. It's a shame they didn't get a police representative on the programme to explain why there wasn't any action.

the representative might have been too busy managing his BTL portfolio

I wonder if the reason is something related  to the fact that for large swathes of the population (particularly home owners) think of renters as second class citizens. Combined with coppers often not being the sharpest tools in the box.

Edited by btl_hater

21 minutes ago, btl_hater said:

I wonder if the reason is something related  to the fact that for large swathes of the population (particularly home owners) think of renters as second class citizens. Combined with coppers often not being the sharpest tools in the box.

I see you're new to Brown's new feudalism.

Eat your gruel, the pensioners need to have their free winter cruise.

21 hours ago, Still Dews said:

I heard this. It was grim. The most shocking aspect for me was the police's attitude to the crime that the landlord was committing against the tenant couple. From her telling of events there was clear evidence of the crime and the police would have been able to find more evidence if they looked into it. People are definitely prosecuted for voyeurism. So either the officers didn't know the law, or for some reason were just completely dismissive of this crime. 

You are right the whole thing had a Dickensian London feel to it. They did a good job of linking it to poor tenants rights but I'm always a bit uneasy by placing everything (ie any aspect of a dysfunctional housing market) in the context of a shortage of housing, but that's because I'm not completely convinced by it.

Presumably the landlord in question is continuing to act like a complete perv to his current tenants with impunity.

Agree completely. The 'shortage' idea seems to have a life of its own, it's unstoppable - one of them meme things.

Also agree about the impunity, that was the most horrible bit imo - that he knew he would get away with it and proceeded to let them know he'd been going into their home while they were out by e.g. leaving her knickers around the place. WTF? How on earth can the police not take an interest in this kind of behaviour? Posters here saying they might have a btl themselves possibly  not far from the mark. Alternative explanation - he has a huge btl portfolio in the area and was those two coppers' landlord, too!