House Price Crash Forum

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, cbathpc said:

Brought in 2017 for £264k. 

They require £86k profit for 3 years of sitting on their backside and adding (cheaper design/finish) Ercol furniture. 

That 2 bed terrace is a great size for a couple starting out but it's priced beyond their means. It's too small for a family as nowadays everyone seems to be aiming at 2 kids. It's hemmed in on both sides and there's no space at the back so no way to add space.  

I honestly don't know who would be at the correct stage in life that this house would suit but also have the means to buy it.  

If its a flat, wait for 6 months.

After covid, as work from home numbers are increasing, we may see thousands of people relocating to counties.

Try buying a house if you get good bargains.

But I think Leeds is better area than Manchester/Liverpool.

• 4 weeks later...

Not familiar with Sale, but those prices are eye watering.

I've had dealings with Edward Mellor. They've not been as bad as certain other EAs in the south who operate more towards Moss Side way.

Speaking of Moss side, just seen this on Rightmove.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-71844774.html

So added after the Stamp Duty "holiday" so whack on another 10k+ to the price. What is telling, the seller is selling with all furniture and fittings etc with no vendor chain.

I lived down down this street many moons ago, the parking is dreadful and the houses quite small. I wouldnt spend 170k round here on a 2 bed.

Here's another, get that price jacked up

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-81781951.html

I suppose the question is (if you're young and or no ties) is why stay in the UK?. There's daily mention of impending unemployment, we've got Brexit and all its sh*t on the way and there's covid that still need tackling.

• 2 months later...
On 14/07/2020 at 22:38, frye said:

Not familiar with Sale, but those prices are eye watering.

I've had dealings with Edward Mellor. They've not been as bad as certain other EAs in the south who operate more towards Moss Side way.

Speaking of Moss side, just seen this on Rightmove.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-71844774.html

So added after the Stamp Duty "holiday" so whack on another 10k+ to the price. What is telling, the seller is selling with all furniture and fittings etc with no vendor chain.

I lived down down this street many moons ago, the parking is dreadful and the houses quite small. I wouldnt spend 170k round here on a 2 bed.

Here's another, get that price jacked up

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-81781951.html

I suppose the question is (if you're young and or no ties) is why stay in the UK?. There's daily mention of impending unemployment, we've got Brexit and all its sh*t on the way and there's covid that still need tackling.

Both are SSTC.

I wouldn't buy either of them! I thought the big appeal of living round there is that its supposed to be cheap. They don't even look like good investment properties... it makes no sense.

19 minutes ago, cbathpc said:

it makes no sense

Everyone at work seems to be either buying or selling at the moment.

It’s looking likely that WFH will become permanent so I assumed more people would hold out for this decision or already be looking further out. Not so! They’re still super keen to buy in the usual pricey areas of Manchester.

None of this makes any sense to me. I’m sitting this particular mania phase out and seeing what happens after April. Annoying that this stamp duty frenzy has delayed my plans though. 

46 minutes ago, cbathpc said:

We are contributing to the madness by also selling and buying, we couldn't wait longer due to family size. 

That is certainly driving some of the mania and the often-quoted 'pent up demand'. The stamp duty stimulus provides the ticking clock though to compress all the transactions into the next few months. 

1 hour ago, cbathpc said:

I think a lot of people are gambling on the belief that full time WFH won't last forever. I personally think we'll all gradually be brought back in.

I'm not so sure. Even before Coronavirus we were starting to see interview candidates that specified remote working for part of the week was a requirement for them. I can't see how this won't now become industry standard where it's possible. I suspect if our company insisted on 5 days per week in the office we'd only manage to hire juniors/uni leavers who'd then jump after 2 years to a company that offered remote working.  

• 5 months later...
10 minutes ago, cbathpc said:

Anyone keeping eyes on the Manchester market? Is it cooling at all now? 

I'm no longer looking to move within Manchester, however work colleagues have been telling me they've been outbid on houses around Didsbury and Alty so have given up for now.  

I did have a look again on RM recently and saw this familiar place near me https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/99202031#/ 

It's been up for sale on and off for years, at least since 2018, and was initially asking over £600K. Now it's asking for £500K and insisting on 'cash only', likely because it has two kitchens. Not sure why it's not showing the earlier listing and reductions. I guess the agent has got smart to property tracker. 

Help to Buy estate round the corner from me selling well apparently, if you believe the developer twitter feed. Lots of naive FTBers rushing to beat a deadline that doesn't apply to them. Also seems to still be plenty of HMO / 2 bed terrace BTL fodder showing as SSTC so someone's buying. 

Don't know if this says much about the Manchester market but it's what i'm seeing anyway :)

2 hours ago, cbathpc said:

Anyone keeping eyes on the Manchester market? Is it cooling at all now? 

I know it went totally insane when it opened back up after covid..

Nope, not looked since last summer so god knows what it'll be like now.  Ill see what April and beyond brings

9 hours ago, sammersmith said:

I'm no longer looking to move within Manchester, however work colleagues have been telling me they've been outbid on houses around Didsbury and Alty so have given up for now.  

I did have a look again on RM recently and saw this familiar place near me https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/99202031#/ 

It's been up for sale on and off for years, at least since 2018, and was initially asking over £600K. Now it's asking for £500K and insisting on 'cash only', likely because it has two kitchens. Not sure why it's not showing the earlier listing and reductions. I guess the agent has got smart to property tracker. 

Help to Buy estate round the corner from me selling well apparently, if you believe the developer twitter feed. Lots of naive FTBers rushing to beat a deadline that doesn't apply to them. Also seems to still be plenty of HMO / 2 bed terrace BTL fodder showing as SSTC so someone's buying. 

Don't know if this says much about the Manchester market but it's what i'm seeing anyway :)

Nice house, remember looking around the Ellesmere Park area years back which this house is on the outskirts of but the problem is it is very very close to some rough parts of Eccles.

Possibly cash only now due to structural issues found or maybe still classed as commercial building which causes mortgage problems.

I stopped looking at Manchester house listings some time ago, as it was just crap average houses at silly prices, nothing interesting ever up for sale.