House Price Crash Forum

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 02/09/2018 at 23:47, Mancunian284 said:

That’s all we need, a LLL M/cr special.

Think you could be right on the southern money moving north though.

Guardian had an article on Didsbury

Fallowfield, Moss Side and Withington have gone mental in asking prices but rents haven't followed too much.

I grew up in South Manchester. And yes it IS London/Southern money IMO They are buying in Northern places en-mass.

Urmston M41 is now running at a 40% price increase since early 2014 - Complete utter madness.

Dare say Didsbury, Sale, Chorlton etc. will have seen an even bigger rise.

Low sales volumes yes, but agree money is coming from outside of Greater Manchester, prices are completely detached from average wages, and a shitty jobs market (poor pay, zero hours contracts, temporary positions, hundreds of applicants for every standard office type job advertisement.

Joint household income of £60K+ with £100k down and you can't afford a 3 bed semi in sale anymore. The system is definitely working! 

Urmston has just become the latest place were its semi affordable and semi nice, so of course it has now just become unaffordable. 

All because of this northern powerhouse ********, which seems to be nothing more than ramping up the market and inflating house prices and then claiming the northern economy is booming because house prices are booming and house prices are booming because the economy is booming and the economy is booming because house prices are booming and house prices are booming because the economy is booming and the economy is booming because house prices are booming, etc etc.....

• 4 months later...
On ‎19‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 07:58, Chunketh said:

Has anyone else noticed the prices for new builds are 20% higher than the equivalent house down the road. In some cases other new builds!

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-71343451.html

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-83408708.html 

Yeah there's lots of discussion threads on here about this. I think land registry data had shown that new builds had increased in price 30% more than older homes since Help to Buy started in 2013. No surprise really.

Fun in West Didsbury.

Lets the price drop war commence :) There are at least 4 that have dropped and a kite flyer that is £90k above a very similar town house on the same road! Some are getting the message....

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-84863333.html

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-65395467.html

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-85033385.html 

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

6 hours ago, Chunketh said:

Fun in West Didsbury.

Lets the price drop war commence :) There are at least 4 that have dropped and a kite flyer that is £90k above a very similar town house on the same road! Some are getting the message....

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-84863333.html

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-65395467.html

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-85033385.html 

I'd expect the top two links there to actually sell for around £350k, can't see it being much higher or lower than that to be honest. The third house there for 440k is probably 25% over what it will sell for IMO.

53 minutes ago, Drummer said:

I'd expect the top two links there to actually sell for around £350k, can't see it being much higher or lower than that to be honest. The third house there for 440k is probably 25% over what it will sell for IMO.

It's a nicer house but not 90k nicer. I think you are right and that 350k link will go pretty fast. Interesting that they are all dropping a considerable amount was really the point.

That said, the estate is pretty toy town and not proper "Didsbury" the gorgeous Victorian stock in the village is properly staying out of reach.

....for now ;)

• 2 weeks later...

They're all still up, no STC. 

I think the affordability checks are killing people now.

If you want a house like above, you probably

- have young kids 

- both adults working and hence

-  be paying £600+ pcm in nursery fees.

I just don't think the wages exist in manchester. I'm on £55k+, but my partner works 3 days for next to nothing and we can't touch properties at this price once we have nursery fees, student loan deductions, pension deductions, not to mention loss of child benefit. 

Starting to see more and more houses get reduced down to the 330-350 area in Sale that would have been 400+ a year or so ago. 

Maybe there are only so many teacher + admin assistant couples, with 300k gifted deposits; and not the unlimited supply EA's were hoping for! 

21 hours ago, cbathpc said:

They're all still up, no STC. 

I think the affordability checks are killing people now.

If you want a house like above, you probably

- have young kids 

- both adults working and hence

-  be paying £600+ pcm in nursery fees.

I just don't think the wages exist in manchester. I'm on £55k+, but my partner works 3 days for next to nothing and we can't touch properties at this price once we have nursery fees, student loan deductions, pension deductions, not to mention loss of child benefit. 

Starting to see more and more houses get reduced down to the 330-350 area in Sale that would have been 400+ a year or so ago. 

Maybe there are only so many teacher + admin assistant couples, with 300k gifted deposits; and not the unlimited supply EA's were hoping for! 

Hide the nursery fees. None of their business if you can pay the nursery from a savings account for 3 months.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm curious to see what happens to south manchester house prices post COVID19. The prices seemed to be rising in an unstoppable, utterly ridiculous way. Will you still get £450k for a 3 bed in alty?  £350k for a 3 bed in sale.. you'd hope not but who knows

3 hours ago, cbathpc said:

south manchester house prices post COVID19

Can I ask, as someone who has only lived in Manchester for 3 years, what the fascination is with Didsbury, Chorlton, Sale, or Altrincham? 

These seem to be the only places anyone who is working in a professional role is interested in buying. I've not been to Altrincham but Chorlton and Sale seemed incredibly boring, like a tired 1930's London suburb, and Didsbury wasn't much better.

With everyone in Manchester looking at the same 4 areas this is surely why the prices are a bit mental?  

Well to generalise

These are the only areas a decent commute into Manchester where people feel comfortable putting their kids in schools. They have a few bars and restaurants and of course, the grammars. 

That's it. You can get a 4 bed in Salford for £130k, but I wouldn't let my kid look out the window, nevermind go to one of the local schools. 

It's classic Partridge, you don't muck around when it comes to your own kids.

If I wasn't so tied to the city for work, I'd move to South Warrington in a heart beat. Just the commute is too shit. 

By the way, as a Sale resident I totally agree. It's boring suburbia. 

Edited by cbathpc
1 hour ago, cbathpc said:

You can get a 4 bed in Salford for £130k, but I wouldn't let my kid look out the window, nevermind go to one of the local schools. 

I live in Eccles (which is technically Salford) and my daughter will be going to the local primary when she's old enough. I know it's not everything but the OFSTED rating is outstanding for the primary as it also is the companion secondary school further down the road. i've seen the school and kids and everyone seems fine. 

I've never seen any trouble round here and the locals are really friendly to me and the misses. The pubs are great too. Really old school and there's a couple of hipster ones too. Tram takes a while to get into town but train is great. 8 mins to deansgate. Misses would prefer Monton but i actually like the edginess of Eccles. Where i buy (Eccles/Monton) will depend where a decent house comes up. 

BTW - I'm not offended by your description of Salford ? . I've had to go into the precinct area and that is a bit too edgy for my liking.

19 hours ago, sammersmith said:

I live in Eccles (which is technically Salford) and my daughter will be going to the local primary when she's old enough. I know it's not everything but the OFSTED rating is outstanding for the primary as it also is the companion secondary school further down the road. i've seen the school and kids and everyone seems fine. 

I've never seen any trouble round here and the locals are really friendly to me and the misses. The pubs are great too. Really old school and there's a couple of hipster ones too. Tram takes a while to get into town but train is great. 8 mins to deansgate. Misses would prefer Monton but i actually like the edginess of Eccles. Where i buy (Eccles/Monton) will depend where a decent house comes up. 

BTW - I'm not offended by your description of Salford ? . I've had to go into the precinct area and that is a bit too edgy for my liking.

Yep, sorry I didn't mean to be offensive. In reality I know plenty of lovely people who live there, and want to stay. I was being flippant to the extreme that internet anonymity allows you to be. These places are obviously going to get nicer as the majority of working people can't afford to live in South Manc anymore, the prices are just utterly stupid. I do think you run the risk of living on a nice street, then having a god awful street the next one over, but you get that in Chorlton.. so hey ho

On 22/05/2020 at 23:36, RandomName24234 said:

I live Prestwich way and it's pretty nice imho.

I've heard Prestwich is nice. Never been there but have been to Heaton Park, which is of course very good. 

Also heard it's expensive there now though and when i looked at what my work colleague paid for his house in Prestwich this seemed high, if not almost as high as south manc.