House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
disenfranchised

Corbyn has the BTLers in uproar

I've picked up a couple of outraged links to this one from scumlordz I stalk on social media...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/01/28/jeremy-corbyn-announces-labour-will-buy-every-homeless-person/

How dare he propose to just buy houses and GIVE the destitute a roof over their head!

He needs to let them borrow the money to buy the house, then rent it back to the government so they can "earn" (ha ha) a living...

He could always just let prices correct to a sane level and let the problem take care of itself

If he takes property off developers I wonder if that will, in the medium term, dissuade developers by making their business less profitable and more risky? Then what does this do to supply? Then what does that do to prices? If you 'tax' something you get less of it.

On the other side.... what happens to homelessness if you subsidise it?

I'd love a solution to help those who find themselves homeless but I'm not convinced giving them a house would solve more problems than it creates. 

If he was building the houses then great. But aren't we talking about the government stepping in to create demand at the front end of the market. What will that do for prices? (Not for the neighbours....)

The other day the May government announced they were putting 1 billion to tackle the homelessness problem, which supposedly amounts to about 4500 people in the UK.

I was not in the least bit surprised that no journo pointed out this was over 200k per person. That'd be enough to buy them a house each too. However their solution would probably involve the boss of Persimmon continuing to get exceptionally healthy bonuses instead.

Edited by Frugal Git

Free shit for everyone, except the poor PAYE sap who is forced to pay for it all and compete against government largesse with the same money stolen off them.

1 minute ago, doomed said:

Free shit for everyone, except the poor PAYE sap who is forced to pay for it all and compete against government largesse with the same money stolen off them.

This.

Over and over again from all of our governments, regardless of party.

13 minutes ago, Frugal Git said:

The other day the May government announced they were putting 1 billion to tackle the homelessness problem, which supposedly amounts to about 4500 people in the UK.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/nov/08/one-in-every-200-people-in-uk-are-homeless-according-to-shelter

There's quite a disparity between Shelter's estimate and 4500.

4 minutes ago, ae589 said:

Thats much closer to what I reckon is the 'homelessness' figure. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/homelessness-rough-sleepers-record-england-stats-homeless-people-2017-increase-a8177086.html%3Famp

The figures from the other day were actual rough sleepers on any given night.

I'm pretty sure Corbyn's policy amounts to buying new council houses - nowhere have I seen him say that he will actually sign over the houses he is proposing to buy to the homeless people that will be living in them.

The headlines - as usual when Corbyn is involved - are pure spin.

It's pathetic that we have so many homeless people in a supposedly rich country.  The number has definitely increased over the last decade.

2 minutes ago, irrationalactor said:

I'm pretty sure Corbyn's policy amounts to buying new council houses - nowhere have I seen him say that he will actually sign over the houses he is proposing to buy to the homeless people that will be living in them.

It's pathetic that we have so many homeless people in a supposedly rich country.  The number has definitely increased over the last decade.

+1. What he mentioned was to get them allocated the next vacant HA unit until council homes are built.

I wish he would come straight out and say he would ban buy to let. 

increase capital gains tax to 100% (after being adjusted for inflation) and make it payable on all houses regardless if it is main residence or not

End speculation on housing. 

imagine a UK where the young could start businesses or at least take opportunities in predictable recessions

11 hours ago, disenfranchised said:

I've picked up a couple of outraged links to this one from scumlordz I stalk on social media...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/01/28/jeremy-corbyn-announces-labour-will-buy-every-homeless-person/

How dare he propose to just buy houses and GIVE the destitute a roof over their head!

He needs to let them borrow the money to buy the house, then rent it back to the government so they can "earn" (ha ha) a living...

i will be homeless the day after jezza becomes PM.

yep I have it in the smallprint for this very reason "no pets no children no white goods no DSS no smokers no homeless no blacks no whites no pictures three months rent up front"

6 hours ago, Frugal Git said:

I was not in the least bit surprised that no journo pointed out this was over 200k per person. That'd be enough to buy them a house each too. However their solution would probably involve the boss of Persimmon continuing to get exceptionally healthy bonuses instead.

The new final target for aspirational people in the UK - become homeless?

Drop to working 16 hours, don't save with saving rates below inflation, cash any pension in and spend it (at a similar time as freeing up pensions they added drugs and prostitution to GDP),  run up loads of debt for extra spending and have it written off, when homeless get the free house other mugs have slaved for.

6 hours ago, irrationalactor said:

Yup. It's a perfectly sensible policy to build council houses/flats and use them for the homeless if you actually believe in the concept of the welfare net.

Council housing needs reform and expansion. Aside from the social benefits, it could save us billions in the long term.

1 hour ago, thewig said:

yep I have it in the smallprint for this very reason "no pets no children no white goods no DSS no smokers no homeless no blacks no whites no pictures three months rent up front"

Pretty shocked by this. You forgot Irish.

26 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

The new final target for aspirational people in the UK - become homeless?

Drop to working 16 hours, don't save with saving rates below inflation, cash any pension in and spend it (at a similar time as freeing up pensions they added drugs and prostitution to GDP),  run up loads of debt for extra spending and have it written off, when homeless get the free house other mugs have slaved for.

As ludicrous as that sounds, it may actually not be far from the truth. That is why we always seem to get unforseen consequences from government and central bank policies. It's all based on assumptions and people are about as easy to herd as cats. Even if you get broad changes for a while, it never lasts. Now, you could say BoE inflation targeting, that switched from money supply targeting after the 1990's crash, is creating a future social and economic change right now (I personally believe that its a crony bank heist between the BoE and City but heyho, let's go with 'unitended' consequences).

The  Thatcher thing was a reaction to the perceived malaises of the 1960's-70's. Where aspiration, due to moribund entreperneurship and social class structures, were stagnating the performance of the UK. So now we have the same aspirational issues again, four decades later.

If you are young, or fall into unexpected circumstances or maybe emmigrate to the UK without money or high-end skills, there is no point working other than low level survival. Humans don't thrive on that and it starts manifesting itself. So, earning a basic living in the black economy and having most of your day free otherwise is probably preferable to paying a BTL mortgage for someone while working 60 hours a week and commuting. If there is no hope whatsoever. Which there probably isn't for most folk. I think you will see that, maybe a remergence of hippy culture and new ageism in remote corners of Cumbria, Cornwall, North Wales. I remember in the late eightees/early ninetees, at the height of that boom and bust, lots of folk I knew took off travelling for a while or living in remote parts of the UK or Ireland.

The difficulty is that a consumerist society declines, economically, very quickly if consumers aren't consuming. Now, the Daily Mail response will be 'cut benefits!' Welfare benefits are a way for government to keep some kind of social order. That's the big difference between third world economies and first world economies. No infrastructure or social provision is one of the big reasons third world nations get caught in a trap. Also, unchecked poverty and homelessness affects everyone in one way or another. Los Angeles Skid Row (city center homeless community around 12-18 thousand people, depending on time of year) has resulted in regular outbreaks now of hepatitis, typhoid and tuberculosis around Los Angeles county, not just skid row. And these are highly contagious in public places via touch or discarded body fluid. Not to be too graphic, if you just throw people out onto the streets, every bush and grass area becomes open sewers. It's how the black plague spread so quickly across the UK during the Great Plague.

Also, why should tax payers in Cornwall or Cumbria pay for HS2, DLR, etc? That is then used to inflate house prices for bankers and foreign investors in property speculation? People aren't as stupid as policy makers seem to think, even if it's just an unconscious, general angst about the environment around them. I think you will see people drop out in increasing numbers, given these circumstances, and the Tories are pretty much handing Corbyn the next election (any change will probably better than no change for increasing numbers going forward).