House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crashmonitor

Longevity test

This test was on the news this week. Basically they are suggesting your aerobic fitness is nothing to do with your lifespan and flexibility is the determining factor. You've got to sit down on the floor and stand up again without using your hands elbows or knees. Now had I gone into this test blind I would have failed and it seemed impossible, but after five minutes practise I was up and down like Zebedee. (I'm 53 btw) So I don't really see how something that is 90% practise and technique can determine your longevity. Same with any test imho, IQ tests for one.

Each time you lose balance or use a hand, knee or elbow you lose a point...you score out of ten. Over eight is the threshold for good health and longevity. Under three and you are five times more likely to die in the next five years than average apparently.:unsure:

Tbh my flexibility is really crap, thinking of taking up yoga as a result of this. Only passed this one (eventually) because I have got strong legs compared to my weight. Any other flexibility test and I would be found wanting. and score under three.

1 hour ago, Freeholder said:

I,m 63 and I score ten. Can't wait to give the lads in the pub the good news.

Well that's impressive, especially if you did it first time. Getting down is easy, getting the technique to get back up is another thing. Never been good on flexibility.

11 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

When you say "use your knees" I assume that means knees on the ground. Standing up without bending them at all sounds impossible.

Yep, just pushing off the ground with your feet crossed when sat as per video. I can do twenty miles hill walking with a heavy rucksack but anything like that I'm a bit crap. 

6 hours ago, crashmonitor said:

This test was on the news this week. Basically they are suggesting your aerobic fitness is nothing to do with your lifespan and flexibility is the determining factor. You've got to sit down on the floor and stand up again without using your hands elbows or knees. Now had I gone into this test blind I would have failed and it seemed impossible, but after five minutes practise I was up and down like Zebedee. (I'm 53 btw) So I don't really see how something that is 90% practise and technique can determine your longevity. Same with any test imho, IQ tests for one.

Each time you lose balance or use a hand, knee or elbow you lose a point...you score out of ten. Over eight is the threshold for good health and longevity. Under three and you are five times more likely to die in the next five years than average apparently.:unsure:

Tbh my flexibility is really crap, thinking of taking up yoga as a result of this. Only passed this one (eventually) because I have got strong legs compared to my weight. Any other flexibility test and I would be found wanting. and score under three.

i tried this and nearly took the TV out. 

How many points do you deduct for not bothering?

Personally can't understand what Heidi is up to. She looks fit enough to me.

2 hours ago, crashmonitor said:

Yep, just pushing off the ground with your feet crossed when sat as per video. I can do twenty miles hill walking with a heavy rucksack but anything like that I'm a bit crap. 

To be fair I didn't see there was a video (gets blocked from work).

3 hours ago, crashmonitor said:

I can do twenty miles hill walking with a heavy rucksack but anything like that I'm a bit crap. 

That's impressive. I usually do a stroll around the neighbourhood carrying a recently purchased newspaper.

14 hours ago, Freeholder said:

That's impressive. I usually do a stroll around the neighbourhood carrying a recently purchased newspaper.

A lot easier than this test, you're the only one that has said they could do it straight off.

3 hours ago, crashmonitor said:

A lot easier than this test, you're the only one that has said they could do it straight off.

I just tried the test again in case it was a fluke. Failed once, succeeded easily once and succeeded with a bit of a struggle once. It probably helps that my BMI is 20.8.

18 hours ago, FedupTeddiBear said:

I am very flexible generally but after a serious knee injury a few years back and several rounds of surgery to try to repair the damage, can't do this. Time to prepare for death!!! :o :lol:

Yep, same here. Could feel the old pains coming on just sitting cross-legged on the floor!

5 hours ago, crashmonitor said:

I implied it. Personally can't see what the issue is unless you have knee problems (which as said need not be anything other than an old injury) or balance issues. Is this really a test of anything? The other thing that strikes me is, unlike a stamina test, it is unclear how you improve your 'score'. And, as implied above, that leaves one with no choice other than to accept impending death. Well, that's if you are lousy at it, like you decrepit  lot are. I've decided I'm only going to talk to Freeholder from now on. Nothing personal, but why waste time culturing relationships with a bunch of people who are gonna be six feet under by this time next year?

3 hours ago, winkie said:

Easier test:

....stand on one foot, close eyes and see how long can hold balance without putting other foot down.;)

balance-age.gif.00b57cdff26e6b32ed1fe57bd42b196a.gif

Quick try now I've seen the video, can't do that at all. The balance test is about right for my age (not a very level floor though, any excuse!).

25 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

Could do that all day, got fed up after a minute. Not sure what that proves...

Eyes closed?

1 hour ago, sexton said:

Eyes closed?

Yep I was same as Craig ( eyes shut)...my balance was terrible but I could just keep wobbling on beyond a minute and when I had got stable felt I could go several minutes.

There's probably a bit of confirmation bias with these tests. If you are yogic you will proffer the first test if you have got stamina and strong legs the second. The only way I can get up on the first test is to shuffle crossed legs into a semi lotus and push off using my leg and ankle strength...probably cheating though not using hands, knees or elbows. And no way would I have figured that on a blind test without practise. Also could have easily lost balance within the first ten seconds on the other test. So you could get massively different results from the same person.

34 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

Yep I was same as Craig ( eyes shut)...my balance was terrible but I could just keep wobbling on ..

From the test webpage:

Ask the person with you to check his or her watch, and time how long you can hold that position without wobbling or opening your eyes. - https://saveourbones.com/hows-your-balance-take-this-30-second-test-to-find-out/

Having said that, let's think about this a bit more. They refer to a bunch of factors that contribute to balance that could be affected by age. Okay. But critically they talk about falls and the severity of injuries that result - both related to balance and muscle tone. So first of all I'm gonna nail my beliefs to the mast and say 'wobbling' might cut your 'official test' time, but it might not cut your lifespan, simply because ability to recover from an off-balance situation (a wobble) has to be a major contributor to a reduction in the amount of falls you experience, and that really is a BIG DEAL for your longevity. Just read this if you don't believe me:

Falls are leading cause of injury and death in older Americans

Of course, if you start from a position where you are able to balance w/o wobbling, then you are off to a better start. While it's perhaps easy to understand how you improve wobbling-balance (strength in feet and calves), improving non-wobbling balance is perhaps trickier.

Clearly powerful small muscles in your feet allow you to make micro-adjustments to reduce the wobbles. But balance is a feedback loop, and all feedback loops need three things: input sensors, a processor and output actuators. Your muscles are the last bit. To really reduce wobbles you need to improve the other two components. How?

It's possible that the processor - your brain - can be trained by continuous attempts to balance, much as one improves at any skill (increased neural connections). So practice could bring benefits.

Input sensors are something else. And this is probably why these tests are indicators of longevity. Balance (among other things, like inner ear) is the combination of sensing tiny changes in pressure across the soles of your feet, and then applying pressure via the feet to correct those changes. So any diseases that cause peripheral neuropathy are gonna be bad for balance. Here's a few things that affect pn:

Nerve damage caused by diabetes is one of the most common forms of neuropathy. This leads to numbness, pain, and a loss of sensation in the extremities. The risk of neuropathy increases for people who:

And of course you will recognize all of those as causes of reduced longevity.

So if you want to retain your natural ability to balance in the hope it will improve your longevity, the message is clear: watch your diet, take exercise.