House Price Crash Forum
Cosmic Apple

Guardian at it again! Millenials... you can't afford a house because you drink Coffee & eat Avocado Toast

Ah, that makes sense. The good piece on housing speculation in London from last week was, in fact, an exception to the shite the Guardian publishes. This fits right in.

Young person on "average" London salary with almost no debt is not "average" at all. 

And the answer to the question at the end is still "no". 

6 minutes ago, stuckmojo said:

Ah, that makes sense. The good piece on housing speculation in London from last week was, in fact, an exception to the shite the Guardian publishes. This fits right in.

Young person on "average" London salary with almost no debt is not "average" at all. 

Was being pushed hard on BBC R2 this morning as "Yes you can just stop spending money on coffee". Er how about let prices return to sanity?

Why are comments not open on this!

could reach a 10% deposit of £35,000 in between four and eight years, says Lewis. “And the sooner you start, the sooner you’ll get there.”

Yay. Slave away for 4 to 8 years and then, and only then will you possibly get the chance of getting in massive debt. That's providing houses haven't increased in price even more, as they have done for years and years.

My advice to you millenial, enjoy your life and forget about owning a house in London. You can travel the world for less.

Not forgetting that house purchase will be an ex council flat in some inner London dump up and coming neighbourhood with plenty of neighbours living there for free.

Edited by honkydonkey

I got to the bit where the journalist writes that a one bed flat in the area is £350k and Martin Lewis outlines the few options. Share a one bed flat? 

Martin Lewis has to be an establishment shill of the highest order. Pushing housing and student loans at insane prices onto the young. He should be tried for treason.

4 minutes ago, doomed said:

Martin Lewis has to be an establishment shill of the highest order. Pushing housing and student loans at insane prices onto the young. He should be tried for treason.

Yeah, you never hear him say. It's the biggest expenditure of your life, all the savings you make everywhere are meaningless in comparison to waiting for value to return to housing. You need to decide whether sacrificing everything, having children, enjoying your life is worth it for that 1 bed in Dagenham.

1 hour ago, stuckmojo said:

The average 'Londoner' under 50 is foreign and on benefits.

1 hour ago, Cosmic Apple said:

Was being pushed hard on BBC R2 this morning as "Yes you can just stop spending money on coffee". Er how about let prices return to sanity?

Be cheaper to not pay the BBC license fee.

Few people under 40 watch the BBC anyhow.

I know many people who just say saving for a 5% deposit is enough to "buy a house". Is it really that easy to get a 95% mortgage?

12 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Be cheaper to not pay the BBC license fee.

Few people under 40 watch the BBC anyhow.

I obviously heard it on someone elses radio as they drove around in the rain with the window down while my window was also down...

Wait, do you need a licence for listing to bbc radio?

11 minutes ago, spyguy said:

The average 'Londoner' under 50 is foreign and on benefits.

Well you need a Market to sustain BTL, give work to the Carillions' of this world etc. All good for GDP, just  bang the activity onto the two trillion national debt because nobody is actually paying taxes to fund the activity generated.

Did young people not buy coffee between 2000 (the answer is no).

I have friends who were far less frugal than me, but because I joined the job market later them have better houses than me (I probably earn more than them now, but it is too late now, I would need to earn £100k + pa more than them.

5 minutes ago, Errol said:

And would you want one anyway?

Because for 10 grand you can "buy" a magic money making machine that can be re-mortgaged every other year to make 40k tax free :rolleyes:

The thing about the advice to save every little "surplus" money you have to one day put into overpriced property is that it doesn't go into the rest of the economy, and pretty soon you would have articles about how young people aren't contributing to the wider economy by supporting coffee shops and nightlife and so on, which would cause constriction of the economy in many sectors and make a recession more likely. Damned if you do, and damned if you don't.

1 hour ago, ccc said:

I've never had avocado toast. Am I missing out ?:o

Yes!  I only started eating avacado when it was presented to me on toast.  That was almost 20 years ago... Somehow it's become a thing recently... Very tasty with bit of pepper or salt maybe lemon juice, or just by itself on butter. Yum.  Trouble is finding good avacado quite fickle fruit

2 minutes ago, Dogtanian said:

Yes!  I only started eating avacado when it was presented to me on toast.  That was almost 20 years ago... Somehow it's become a thing recently... Very tasty with bit of pepper or salt maybe lemon juice, or just by itself on butter. Yum.  Trouble is finding good avacado quite fickle fruit

I don't eat bread though. I shall have to find something else to put it onto.

24 minutes ago, ccc said:

I don't eat bread though. I shall have to find something else to put it onto.

I blame bread and our high grain diets for the majority of health problems in the West. I eat a high protein, high fat diet and have never felt better.

You need to hand over more of the fruits of your labours and industry...don't think you can get away with consuming much yourself.  That is not your role.  Your role is to be productive and hand over the output from that production to others to enjoy.  Think you can enjoy small luxuries like coffee in a café ? - forget it.  You need to sacrifice this so you have more to handover to other privileged groups.

4 minutes ago, doomed said:

I blame bread and our high grain diets for the majority of health problems in the West. I eat a high protein, high fat diet and have never felt better.

Interesting, what do you eat when you are out of the house if you don't eat sandwiches?