Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum

Nutella price crash - new recipe


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, reddog said:

What is this riot about?  People wanting to buy at a discount?  Or people wanting to buy the old formula?

If you believe the press, people wanting to buy at a discount.

I do wonder if they are dumping this on the market before bringing back the old recipe, it has a long shelf life so not something you normally see discounted by 50%.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, thewig said:

nothing wrong with natural sugar, its the refined white powder they put in everything to get you hooked you gotta watch out for

That might be aspartame (pushed by Donald Rumsfeld). I think humans lose some of their natural senses. One summer I got 2x bottles of fizzy orange drink (containing aspartame) and made the empty bottles into wasp traps (like the pic below). In one bottle I put the aspartame drink in and in the other I put in some natural grape juice that doesn't contain aspartame. I left both within 10 yards of a wasp's nest.

After a day the aspartame one had literally just one wasp in, while the other non-aspartame one was packed full of wasps (40+). They obviously knew the difference.

fly-trap-311.jpg

 

It looks like Nutella might be spreading themselves a bit thin with this new offering. I prefer marmite, like Olives lovely for a few but disgusting after a certain point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, thewig said:

nothing wrong with natural sugar, its the refined white powder they put in everything to get you hooked you gotta watch out for

That might be aspartame (pushed by Donald Rumsfeld). I think humans lose some of their natural senses. One summer I got 2x bottles of fizzy orange drink (containing aspartame) and made the empty bottles into wasp traps (like the pic below). In one bottle I put the aspartame drink in and in the other I put in some natural grape juice that doesn't contain aspartame. I left both within 10 yards of a wasp's nest.

After a day the aspartame one had literally just one wasp in, while the other non-aspartame one was packed full of wasps (40+). They obviously knew the difference.

fly-trap-311.jpg

 

It looks like Nutella might be spreading themselves a bit thin with this new offering. I prefer marmite, like Olives lovely for a few but disgusting after a certain point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Errol said:

Just use real oats. Quaker oats are fine - zero sugar. Have the porridge plain with nothing added.

a blob of jam in it scottish kid style.well thats how our parents used to get us to eat the stuff, turns out we find out as adults this stuff is a superfood. 

 

on the nutella front, i make a ice cream sundae in my work.  whippy ice cream, crushed nuts , and drizzled all over with nutella that  has been made more viscous with ground nut oil.   its majic  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm a fan of the stuff, and also been a starving student half my life.  Been through all the supermarket alternatives, and would agree with posters who wrote that nothing they offered came close. 
Been an Aldi and Lidl shopper for over a decade, but hadn't noticed the 'Nukoka' product until last month, (not sure where I bought this yet) - but hot damn!  Actually did some taste tests by spreading both on same bit toast.  9/10 for the supermarket product.  It's not quite, but most wouldn't know unless tasting side-by-side.
If this is new to the market, it could cause a pile-up of unsold product at Ferrero.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Bricks n' mortar said:

I'm a fan of the stuff, and also been a starving student half my life.  Been through all the supermarket alternatives, and would agree with posters who wrote that nothing they offered came close. 
Been an Aldi and Lidl shopper for over a decade, but hadn't noticed the 'Nukoka' product until last month, (not sure where I bought this yet) - but hot damn!  Actually did some taste tests by spreading both on same bit toast.  9/10 for the supermarket product.  It's not quite, but most wouldn't know unless tasting side-by-side.
If this is new to the market, it could cause a pile-up of unsold product at Ferrero.

Oi no professionals

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It seems the floor is being lower in terms of quality with a lot of these big names.  Whilst undoubtedly there is wider choice elsewhere.. But for a price.  I bought a jar of organic Nutella like spread to try the other day... No Palm oil lots of hazelnuts but it was double the price for half the quantity.

With regard to sugar and fruit I do get the impression dentists would prefer you avoid all forms especially oranges.... But I also feel they would have you on intravenous floride if they had there way!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I actually prefer Aldi Nutella to the real thing.  I find this is an ongoing theme with Alid products.  Things where Aldi are "even better than the real thing" in my opinion also include Ryvita, Tuc Biscuits, Twix, Walkers-style crisps, Chocolate Digestives.  I could go on and on.  Even my cats prefer Aldi-style Dreamies treats to the real thing.  I think Aldi are the biggest threat that food retail has had for decades.  When I used to shop in Asda I used to think "well it's a bit more crap than the others, but that's to be expected because it's cheaper".  But Aldi products are actually better AND cheaper.  It's a foolproof recipe for success and I wish them well with it.

Edited by stop_the_craziness
bad grammar
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, stop_the_craziness said:

I actually prefer Aldi Nutella to the real thing.  I find this is an ongoing theme with Alid products.  Things where Aldi are "even better than the real thing" in my opinion also include Ryvita, Tuc Biscuits, Twix, Walkers-style crisps, Chocolate Digestives.  I could go on and on.  Even my cats prefer Aldi-style Dreamies treats to the real thing.  I think Aldi are the biggest threat that food retail has had for decades.  When I used to shop in Asda I used to think "well it's a bit more crap than the others, but that's to be expected because it's cheaper".  But Aldi products are actually better AND cheaper.  It's a foolproof recipe for success and I wish them well with it.

Although going slightly off topic, I would agree that some Aldi products are very good and possibly better than their equivalent main stream brands.  This is not a new phenomenon though, many decades ago I discovered that I actually preferred some Sainsbury's own brands when compared to the real thing; Sainsbury's Ry-vita equivalent comes to mind.  Back to Aldi, I think the difference in quality between Aldi and Lidl is really opening up now with Aldi being ahead of Lidl with most of their products.

Edited by dougless
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I definitely agree some of the basics are now better idll and aldi.  In my dad's local shopping centre Sainsbury's was for decades the anchor store.  I thought the place had been going down hill a bit with lots of pound like shops.  Amazingly there is now an Aldi right next door in the same arcade and my dad has already found there oat biscuits superior.  I'm not sure what kind of deal Sainsbury's had with the centre .. It's a big shop in a fairly small centre ... But whatever deal I assumed they had is obviously no longer.

I'm more of a Lidl person from locality more than anything but there are many items that are better quality whilst cheaper.  And of course there are over priced deals to, which I'm fine with as long as it's other people buying so as to keep other prices low.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I haven't followed this palm oil publicity, but my understanding is that all the oils get broken down to their constituent fatty acids (plus glycerol) during digestion, so you just look at the fatty acid content. Palm oil seems to be mostly palmitic and oleic acid (the latter the one that makes up most of olive oil, which also has palmitic). So, it's got more saturated fatty acids than olive oil, but not vastly more, and if it's refined, it won't have a lot else (either good or bad). Olive oil has some minor chemicals, which may well be good for you (although the evidence is unclear, because nobody has paid for any big studies).

On sugar: refined cane sugar or refined beet is still sugar. You break it down to glucose and fructose, so post-digestion it's pretty much the same sugar composition as honey (again honey contains some minor stuff as well). Fruit sugar is fructose, which (in large quantities) is worse for you than glucose, because of the way it's metabolised by the liver. The main issues with refined sugars, as far as I can see, are that we eat too much of them, and we tend not to eat them with lots of fibre, which would slow down their absorption (and which comes for free with fruit). Eating large amounts of sugar probably sets you up for type 2 diabetes.

So, it seems it seems to me that if you eat a balanced diet, it can contain refined ingredients too, without causing any problems: they don't have any mysterious components that do you a mischief.

Edited by Toast
Grammar
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, dougless said:

Although going slightly off topic, I would agree that some Aldi products are very good and possibly better than their equivalent main stream brands.  This is not a new phenomenon though, many decades ago I discovered that I actually preferred some Sainsbury's own brands when compared to the real thing; Sainsbury's Ry-vita equivalent comes to mind.  Back to Aldi, I think the difference in quality between Aldi and Lidl is really opening up now with Aldi being ahead of Lidl with most of their products.

Sorry i’ll continue going off topic. I am actually shocked at how good (in my opinion) the products are at Aldi for the price. We did a trial shop moving from Sainsbury’s and the basket was half the price. I was pleasently surprised with the quality of the fruit and veg. I expected the quality to be like Spar or newsagent shop quality. 

Some of their store customs around packing, scanning and unpacking took some getting used to though.

 

Edited by Ash4781
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Toast said:

I haven't followed this palm oil publicity, but my understanding is that all the oils get broken down to their constituent fatty acids (plus glycerol) during digestion, so you just look at the fatty acid content. Palm oil seems to be mostly palmitic and oleic acid (the latter the one that makes up most of olive oil, which also has palmitic). So, it's got more saturated fatty acids than olive oil, but not vastly more, and if it's refined, it won't have a lot else (either good or bad). Olive oil has some minor chemicals, which may well be good for you (although the evidence is unclear, because nobody has paid for any big studies).

On sugar: refined cane sugar or refined beet is still sugar. You break it down to glucose and fructose, so post-digestion it's pretty much the same sugar composition as honey (again honey contains some minor stuff as well). Fruit sugar is fructose, which (in large quantities) is worse for you than glucose, because of the way it's metabolised by the liver. The main issues with refined sugars, as far as I can see, are that we eat too much of them, and we tend not to eat them with lots of fibre, which would slow down their absorption (and which comes for free with fruit). Eating large amounts of sugar probably sets you up for type 2 diabetes.

So, it seems it seems to me that if you eat a balanced diet, it can contain refined ingredients too, without causing any problems: they don't have any mysterious components that do you a mischief.

I think the big problem with palm oil is the environmental aspect, it is rather like buying new furniture made from Mahogany wood - there is absolutely no sustainable source for it, so when buying the stuff you are effectively (directly or indirectly) taking an axe and chopping down a small part of the Brazillian rainforest.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, dougless said:

Although going slightly off topic, I would agree that some Aldi products are very good and possibly better than their equivalent main stream brands.  This is not a new phenomenon though, many decades ago I discovered that I actually preferred some Sainsbury's own brands when compared to the real thing; Sainsbury's Ry-vita equivalent comes to mind.  Back to Aldi, I think the difference in quality between Aldi and Lidl is really opening up now with Aldi being ahead of Lidl with most of their products.

I agree we have got used to buying the alternative and gotten used to them......brand loyalty no longer pays.....brand new customers only, play them at their own game.;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Habeas Domus said:

I think the big problem with palm oil is the environmental aspect, it is rather like buying new furniture made from Mahogany wood - there is absolutely no sustainable source for it, so when buying the stuff you are effectively (directly or indirectly) taking an axe and chopping down a small part of the Brazillian rainforest.

Fair comment: I'd got the impression that the objection was on nutritional grounds.

I can definitely see that we don't want to expand palm oil production if it eats up rainforest. My guess would be that reducing production probably wouldn't lead to those plantations being returned to a wilderness state, though. Counter to that, you could also argue that as the world is getting richer, and so consuming more, the people who know and care should reduce their usage, to partly compensate for those who don't.

As a general rule, I think eating vegetable fats ought to be better than eating animal fats; e.g. if you replace palm fat with butter, you have probably used a lot of erstwhile dry forest land in Brazil to grow the soybeans to feed to the cattle. James Lovelock was of the opinion that the best environmental footprint would result from going to nuclear for power generation, using some of that energy to chemically synthesize food, and then returning most of the UK landmass from its present state of pastureland, to a proper forest wilderness. Maybe even re-introduce bears, wolves and lynx (perhaps wolverines; I don't know if they were ever native). It would be a fantastically interesting experiment, but would make a trip to darkest Dorset to see the inlaws a bit hairy.

All this eating malarkey is a bit of a minefield.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, chronyx said:

Vegetable oils are poison 

Coconut oil and cocoa butter excepted

I think the ones we eat are generally regarded as safe, but if there's something specific I should know about, e.g. sunflower, walnut, rapeseed, olive, pumpkin oils etc., then it's always good to learn.

The comment you quoted was supposed to be about the environmental damage caused by producing different sources (sorry if that wasn't clear). I don't know much about any of this, so it was a statement of what I have gleaned from the secondary scientific literature (and probably corporate BS as well), so feel free to challenge.

As for nutrition, I think animal and vegetable fats and oils are a bit of a mixed bunch: coconut is high in (short chain) saturated fats, and butterfat naturally contains about 11% trans fats, and I think there is some evidence that trans fats are implicated in circulatory problems (but I haven't looked at the data, so I may be talking nonsense). Many vegetable oils are high in unsaturated fats (which have been suggested to be better for you than saturated; again, I don't know the data), and fish oils contain both high levels of unsaturated, as well as essential fatty acids, so look like a good bet, if you're willing to overlook problems of over-fishing, and high concentrations of heavy metals in the tastier fish.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.





×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.