House Price Crash Forum

Nutella price crash - new recipe

HOLA441

November 9, 2017
Nutella fans are freaking out over recipe change

Somehow they managed to make an already pretty unhealthy product, just a little worse - less cocoa and more skimmed milk (so making it sweeter).

January 2018
French shoppers brawl over discounted Nutella

Nutella 'riots': Sale on chocolate and hazelnut spread sparks chaos in French supermarkets
Nutella 'riots' spread across French supermarkets.

I also noticed Nutella on sale in Debenhams the other day, they had a mountain of large jars for £1.50 but nobody was buying, it does make me wonder if this is fake news and really someone has a warehouse full of this stuff and they need the publicity to try and shift it.

Also it is noticable that none of the newspapers have comments enabled, is Nutella such a touchy subject?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

I wonder if they are trying to compete with supermarket own brands - I would have thought a better strategy would be to try and position themselves as a premium brand.

Also a lot of people are trying to avoid Palm oil and all these products contain that.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

sugary bits of fruit are much better for you, what with them containing actual sugar 

nothing wrong with natural sugar, its the refined white powder they put in everything to get you hooked you gotta watch out for

mega addictive stuff, sugar. we went sugar free a couple of years ago, got headaches and withdrawls like a proper junkie. couldn't keep it up,

I've given up smoking years ago and gave up drinking for a year no problems but sugar? man that sht takes hold of you

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
31 minutes ago, Habeas Domus said:

I wonder if they are trying to compete with supermarket own brands - I would have thought a better strategy would be to try and position themselves as a premium brand.

Also a lot of people are trying to avoid Palm oil and all these products contain that.

No supermarket in 40 years managed to even remotely approach the taste of Nutella. I won't even touch the waitrose/tesco one with a barge pole, might aswell through 2 quids in the gutter

HOLA4412
7 minutes ago, opt_out said:

I'm a big fan of coffee and chocolate, but I feel slightly guilty when I start my day that way. Have I just been indoctrinated to think that sugary bits of fruit are better for me.

Nutella, no fruit, probably a couple of hazelnuts per jar. Something like 60% sugar... and palm oil, which is in a lot of peanut butters also, not to be mistaken for unprocessed palm oil, has to be one of the worst things to put in your body and has been linked to cancer.

Which is why I choose to spread Nutella on my toast every morning.

HOLA4413

According to Wikipedia

• humans consumed an average 17 pounds (7.7 kg) of palm oil per person in 2015
    (So if each jar contains 200g of Palm oil, thats equivalent to about 39 jars of Nutella per year)

• In March 2017, a documentary made by DW Germany revealed that palm oil is also used to make milk substitutes that are now used to make milk to feed calves in dairies in the German alps.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
2 hours ago, PerfectCircle said:

No supermarket in 40 years managed to even remotely approach the taste of Nutella. I won't even touch the waitrose/tesco one with a barge pole, might aswell through 2 quids in the gutter

I thought the Aldi version tasted the same. My tastebuds are knackered though.edit: I didn’t like the taste of the original main brand either though tbh

Edited by Ash4781

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
3 hours ago, PerfectCircle said:

Yes you're right. It's strange that the supermarkets haven't managed this.

They can't have changed the recipe that much as the taste really hasn't changed as far as I can tell. Probably hoping to get some media coverage? It's interesting that it was first produced because of a coco shortage ...

HOLA4422
5 hours ago, crashmonitor said:

Wont be stressing over this, not really in my palate. An unsweetened porridge more to my taste. Spreading bread with sugar and fat..yuk. 

Consumers like sugar. I really like Kelogg's Ancient Grain legends Porridge but you can rarely get it at the supermarkets now. Haven't seen it in months. It wasn't sugar free but noticeably less sweet than any of the other instant porridges, maybe it didn't sell so well because it didn't have a sweet taste. I bought about six months worth of it though when they had the packs at knockdown cost in poundlound.

HOLA4423
1 minute ago, frankvw said:

Consumers like sugar. I really like Kelogg's Ancient Grain legends Porridge but you can rarely get it at the supermarkets now. Haven't seen it in months. It wasn't sugar free but noticeably less sweet than any of the other instant porridges, maybe it didn't sell so well because it didn't have a sweet taste. I bought about six months worth of it though when they had the packs at knockdown cost in poundlound.

Just use real oats. Quaker oats are fine - zero sugar. Have the porridge plain with nothing added.

HOLA4424

yeah.. .problem is I like it when I'm on the go and don't have time to make proper breakfast. Its convenient to just make it up in the back of my van with some coffee, bagels, etc., it's the only instant oats I found that isn't super sweet. Even the quaker instant variety is very sweet. Infact, I like nothing better than slow cooked oats with salt... but then I guess I'm then heavy on salt. Hmmm... bacon sandwich.Now when will there be a healthy alternative to that! The research la that cracks that puzzle will get my vote.

HOLA4425