House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cica

Equality too far?

I'm sure we all love a David vs Goliath story.

BBC story

Not convinced the spirit of the Equality Act was to sign lyrics to the deaf and even when they did she still wasn't happy. Lyrics are available online anyway.

What's worry is the BBC clearly may seem to favour her view given they actually spent the time to include demagogic quotes from the daughter.

Not going to post the link but I did check out a claim in a comment I read and she does indeed run a consultancy offering sign language services. Forgive my cynicism.

The story is one thing but apparently the BBC had this woman on TV this morning and treated her like a hero. The BBC really does a certain type of person doesn't it?

So they are deaf and go to the concert to get the sign language of the lyrics? wtf?

If you are blind and partially deaf, do you have the right to go to a cinema and demand that an employee sits next to you to describe what is going on on the screen?

If you are blind and almost deaf and go to watch Man Utd do you have the right to demand  that an employee sits next to you to describe the action?

16 hours ago, Errol said:

So they are deaf and go to the concert to get the sign language of the lyrics? wtf?

If you are blind and partially deaf, do you have the right to go to a cinema and demand that an employee sits next to you to describe what is going on on the screen?

If you are blind and almost deaf and go to watch Man Utd do you have the right to demand  that an employee sits next to you to describe the action?

Probably. The rest of the world has to shape itself around the minority who can't manage. I've some sympathy - I'm not a complete ****, but the requirements start getting absurd.

16 hours ago, Errol said:

At many grounds you get a black shirt, shorts and a whistle.:blink:

47 minutes ago, nightowl said:

At many grounds you get a black shirt, shorts and a whistle.:blink:

And now VAR to help those who are really disabled.

On 24/01/2018 at 12:10 PM, cica said:

I'm sure we all love a David vs Goliath story.

BBC story

Not convinced the spirit of the Equality Act was to sign lyrics to the deaf and even when they did she still wasn't happy. Lyrics are available online anyway.

What's worry is the BBC clearly may seem to favour her view given they actually spent the time to include demagogic quotes from the daughter.

a true fan knows the lyrics.

Most concerts are so loud you cant hear the lyrics anyway.

Seems that her ploy to drum up business for signers will only lead to auto cues being provided, or even cheaper, an app to your phone.