House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will!

Half remembered quotation about making money

I have an idea that on this forum years ago I read a (famous?) quotation to the effect that there are only three ways to make money:  make something, grow something or dig something out the ground and everything else is just moving it around.

Does anyone know the correct quotation please?  I can't find anything with google.

On 1/19/2018 at 9:30 PM, Will! said:

I have an idea that on this forum years ago I read a (famous?) quotation to the effect that there are only three ways to make money:  make something, grow something or dig something out the ground and everything else is just moving it around.

Does anyone know the correct quotation please?  I can't find anything with google.

Well, there's this:

Sir John Rose, chief executive of Rolls-Royce, is one of Gordon Brown's closest industrial advisers, so let's hope the aerospace boss has whispered a few wise words to him about creating wealth, rather than just spending it, ahead of tomorrow's day of reckoning. As Sir John says, there are only three ways to make wealth: you dig it up, grow it or convert something in order to add value. Anything else is merely moving it about. - The Independent

The writer has attributed it to SJR, but I'm thinking it has earlier origins. The Indie quote comes from an article about globalisation entitled "Science is key to how we add value and create wealth", written by SJR for The Telegraph in 2006. In that article, SJR does not attribute the maxim to anyone:

There are only three ways of creating wealth - you dig it up, grow it, or convert it to add value. Anything else is merely moving it about. In a high wage economy you must focus on high converted-value activities. To achieve high converted value you need good education and differentiating skills.

Here is another reference to SJR's usage of the adage, this time with a suggestion it has earlier origins (unattributed):

But he reiterated an old adage: “As the events of the last year have reconfirmed, there are
only three ways of creating wealth – you can dig it up, grow it or convert something in order
to add value. Anything else is merely moving it about.

I should add that the quote concerns wealth (a tangible thing) rather than money (wtf is that?).

19 hours ago, Sledgehead said:

Well, there's this:

The writer has attributed it to SJR, but I'm thinking it has earlier origins. The Indie quote comes from an article about globalisation entitled "Science is key to how we add value and create wealth", written by SJR for The Telegraph in 2006. In that article, SJR does not attribute the maxim to anyone:

Here is another reference to SJR's usage of the adage, this time with a suggestion it has earlier origins (unattributed):

I should add that the quote concerns wealth (a tangible thing) rather than money (wtf is that?).

That's it, thank you!  As you say it concerns wealth rather than money.

14 hours ago, Will! said:

That's it, thank you!  As you say it concerns wealth rather than money.

And creating wealth is a difficult and increasingly unreliable way of acquiring wealth.  

Much better to simply take other people’s wealth through landlording, or similar. 

47 minutes ago, BuyToLeech said:

And creating wealth is a difficult and increasingly unreliable way of acquiring wealth.  

Much better to simply take other people’s wealth through landlording, or similar. 

Easier rather than better (looking at it from the non-individual point of view).

The whole thing about wealth is that there's an obsession with creating it. For what purpose isn't clear, squandering it mostly it seems.