House Price Crash Forum

Carpetright shares crash on profit warning

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This cant be right Deutsche Bank said they were worth £2.00 a share on the 2nd of January.Peel Hunt thought they were worth £2.30 on the 8th of January.

Costs up,cant be passed on,margins destroyed.You can get a decent carpet delivered from Ebay for £60 and they arent hard to fit,or you can get someone in for £30 to do it.

4 hours ago, Smiley George said:

This.

Once the majority of people have paid their rent/mortgage and general living costs, there's nothing left to spend elsewhere. People are making do with what they've got in terms of furnishings etc. because they haven't got the cash and it seems even with cheap credit available the plates are about to stop spinning.

True.....they also realise a new carpet/laminate floor will no longer add £10k+ to the price.;)

5 hours ago, stuckmojo said:

Who shops there? Traders don't shop there, fitters don't shop there. DIY idiots who aren't aware of a carpet warehouse? I'm shit at DIY but it took me 9 seconds on google to find a fitter and get the carpet I want at 1/4th of their prices. Local lad too, so I kept his business going. 

i bought a carpet there, TBH the experience was pretty good, fitter was good and cheap, carpet was good quality and not overly expensive.

Though this was a good few years ago, and was probably a sale on( there usually was)

Edited by GreenDevil

Those who buy expensive carpets are boomers, and they normally use local independents. Carpetright caters to the lower end of market where the bottom must have fallen out. I have bought from both them and united carpets a decade ago,  reasonable price and good service, carpets still ok too. 

1 hour ago, nothernsoul said:

Those who buy expensive carpets are boomers, and they normally use local independents. Carpetright caters to the lower end of market where the bottom must have fallen out. I have bought from both them and united carpets a decade ago,  reasonable price and good service, carpets still ok too. 

This based on my sample of one (my boomer parents) is correct. They’d not go abywhere near Carpetright. 

23 hours ago, stuckmojo said:

This is a ******** statement:

"Black Friday has been hugely disruptive, bringing forward consumer spending that would otherwise have taken place in the traditional month of December. So that's had a knock-on effect on today's figures."

but if the spending happened, what's the knock-on effect? 

I believe the comment refers to December figures specifically. I.e. because the spending was done in November instead (is that when black friday is?) the December figures were worse than they would have otherwise been.

Of course, it's still all rubbish, because the spending was still up Y-o-Y, but the comment is at least logically consistent :)

18 minutes ago, winkie said:

Lucy has a few tips......:wacko:

I dream of the day these types of people aren't given a platform to project their pathetic worthless voices. Just 30 seconds in and I had to shut it down. Lucy try and do something worth while with your existence before its too late, you're off the boring and tedious scale! 

21 hours ago, TonyJ said:

Just proves that 'professional' analysis is less than useless. Same goes for all those professional predictions of 2% growth in house prices this year. Worth nothing.

The Economists Buttonwood had a column on analysts.

Connected to the MFID research rules that come in.

Basically nice idea but none were indepentdent. Useless basically.