House Price Crash Forum
dougless

Carpetright shares crash on profit warning

This is a ******** statement:

"Black Friday has been hugely disruptive, bringing forward consumer spending that would otherwise have taken place in the traditional month of December. So that's had a knock-on effect on today's figures."

but if the spending happened, what's the knock-on effect? 

Still, carpetright has always been an unexplainable business to me. Who shops there? Traders don't shop there, fitters don't shop there. DIY idiots who aren't aware of a carpet warehouse? I'm shit at DIY but it took me 9 seconds on google to find a fitter and get the carpet I want at 1/4th of their prices. Local lad too, so I kept his business going. 

2 minutes ago, stuckmojo said:

"Black Friday has been hugely disruptive, bringing forward consumer spending that would otherwise have taken place in the traditional month of December. So that's had a knock-on effect on today's figures."

People traditionally buy carpets in December?

3 minutes ago, Errol said:

Nothing whatsoever to do with Brexit. 

Of course, nobody puts off discretionary purchases when they are getting poorer by the month.

Just a coincidence smiley-face-whistle-2.gif

The economy has been on a terminal descent for 15+ years. That's why we are all on HpC. It's already baked in. Brexit is just a blip on the inevitable descent.

Edited by Errol

17 minutes ago, stuckmojo said:

This is a ******** statement:

but if the spending happened, what's the knock-on effect? 

Still, carpetright has always been an unexplainable business to me. Who shops there? Traders don't shop there, fitters don't shop there. DIY idiots who aren't aware of a carpet warehouse? I'm shit at DIY but it took me 9 seconds on google to find a fitter and get the carpet I want at 1/4th of their prices. Local lad too, so I kept his business going. 

Well spotted.

These statements are all BS like this.  So are the news articles (copy and paste merchants, with a bit of social agenda spin).

We should start a log.

I don't get the business either.  Indeed, I initially thought the post was about them actually making a profit!      

This is a product that should thrive too. Wife refuses to let me buy carpet of the internet without seeing/feeling it first (very wise no doubt) and hey all have the same stock carpet ranges but give them different names so it's near impossible to compare like for like prices online.

That said, I've bought 5 carpets in the last 3 years and never stepped in one of these. I just assume they are going to be a rip off/hard sell kind of place. We drive out of the city to a warehouse seller who has everything we could ever want and doesn't insist on extras

How fecking desperate is that !!!!

6 minutes ago, Fromage Frais said:

If your not buying houses you not buying carpets.

if your buying HTB new builds you not buying carpets.

etc

If you've got any sense your not buying carpets from Carpetright.

1 hour ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Another one !!!!

This is what happens when  you have bankers/housing bubble sucking up peoples cash

This.

Once the majority of people have paid their rent/mortgage and general living costs, there's nothing left to spend elsewhere. People are making do with what they've got in terms of furnishings etc. because they haven't got the cash and it seems even with cheap credit available the plates are about to stop spinning.

1 hour ago, dougless said:

More news that helps (or reflects) the downward trajectory of the economy:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42744504

And:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42744499

Re: retail sales.

It says retail sales were up 1.9 percent for 2017.  But if inflation was 3% for 2017 (rough figure), does that mean sales were effectively down 1.1%?

(Can't help but feel some of these stats are designed to confuse)

1 hour ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

92.90GBX71.60 (43.53%)

Bejesus

Their trading update is bad, very bad.

Need to unravel the detail as looks to be a rapid deterioration. I expect it to be a margin collapse (from cost side and rapid cutting of prices . 

Edited by Ash4781

Also watch Kingfisher (B&Q) down today (as I type 3%)...these retailer's fortunes are very closely tied to the housing market in terms of transactional activity rather than price.  Folks do DIY and buy new carpets when they move house.  Government and BOE policies to inflate house prices have inevitably resulted in low transactional activity which is destroying these businesses.  They should instruct their solicitors to investigate a claim for damages from the government for this shameless market distortion.