House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  

BTL EPC

I believe rentals will need an EPC after April. My house has electric heater in each room with a broken thermostat, and no timer. Certainly no central controlls. Will that fail?

Will the costs of improvements his put more people off BTL?

It's a pretty low bar: EPC E or above. Not sure on the precise mechanics (there are calculators on the web that will give you a rough idea), but you get lots of points for having double glazing and a condensing boiler. Also cavity wall and loft insulation. If you don't make the grade I imagine there will be cheaper ways for the LL to sort it than installing central heating, and they won't need to do it until they start a new tenancy.

34 minutes ago, crazypabs said:

only applies to new tenancies I believe, including renewals.

Yep - 2020 I believe for any existing tenancies. Which is outrageous.

On the plus side, you would have a bit of leverage asking your landlord to have something done. As they would have to undertake upgrades and improvements should you quit the tenancy. 

My EPC is awful, need to find it to confirm but I'm pretty sure it's worse than E.

Poor loft insulation 

Only one thermostat 

Most basic radiator valves 

Oil fired boiler  

We don't really mind, it has open fires which we love and a whole ton of coal costs £230 delivered. Not even half through my October delivery yet so that's probably over a years worth.

I've just signed up for 12 months renewal, does this mean they're going to have to come and do a load of work before the next one (and no doubt Jack up rent)?

It'll be like deposit protection... If you complain they haven't they ask you to move out at end of contract.

3 hours ago, Grab_Some_Popcorn said:

It'll be like deposit protection... If you complain they haven't they ask you to move out at end of contract.

Then they would have to do the work before the could re-let, so that hopefully should be a disincentive.to them doing that.

However, E is a very low standard. We moved into a D rated house about 4 years ago and it was freezing. 

Edited by Confusion of VIs

Many LL's with tenants on benefits or Tax Credits will be eligible to get free insulation and even free boilers under the various schemes running across the country.

Ludicrous.

Edited by nome

Band E is actually more tricky than you may think, to pass you need double glazing and a condensing boiler. A lot of older houses without cavity wall insulation ie victorian with double skin bricks are likely to have great difficulties reaching the required standard.

wtf is an epc when it’s at home?

if it’s an extra cost column in my spreadsheet then there’s only one way I’m  gonna maintain the numbers I need in my profits column... 

once again my tenants will suffer the brunt of this red tape, no skin off my nose 

Double glazing will not make much difference, a cond boiler helps, depends on how bad the old boiler is. No CH heating is the main thing that stops cheap improvements to pass , i.e loft insulation, cavity wall insulation . Solid wall insulation cost is the problem but if the home has modern CH + controls and 300mm loft insulation it should pass. All low energy lighting only adds about 2 points but that might put into E. IMO if old houses have up to date CH they should pass with loft insultion

http://www.elmhurstenergy.co.uk/help-support/minimum-energy-efficiency-standards

Old style boilers are fine, very reliable......the best way is individual thermostats on every radiator in each room can turn on or off, draft proof internal and external doors, double glazing helps, thick lined curtains on windows  that do not cover an external wall radiator.....terraced and semi homes seal in the heat better than detached, halls not adjoining help with insulation.....loft and loft hatch insulation is a must......a thick long winter curtain on stairs will help heat rising to escape........flats where hot air rises helps......it is the outside walls and roofs where heat escapes from......all homes require ventilation to help avoid damp and mould, daytime best to open windows for a bit, a bit of fresh air when asleep also helps.;)

Edited by winkie

Oh for hot water we have economy 7 and an immersion heater.

Landlords will get round regs by advertising privately .

8 minutes ago, Grab_Some_Popcorn said:

Oh for hot water we have economy 7 and an immersion heater.

Landlords will get round regs by advertising privately .

no EPC means a sec21 notices validity can be contested?

1 minute ago, HowMuch! said:

no EPC means a sec21 notices validity can be contested?

Hmmm. Interesting. What about if deposit not protected? Does that prevent s21?

5 minutes ago, Grab_Some_Popcorn said:

Hmmm. Interesting. What about if deposit not protected? Does that prevent s21?

As I understand only a judge can decide if a sec21 notice is valid or not.

As a tenant there are two options, accept the notice to leave and then leave OR not accept it and stay.

If the landlord wishes to gain possession when the tenant does not leave once the request to leave date has passed then there will have to be a court hearing, at this point the tenant might bring up things like Non deposit protection or No EPC.

Whether the possession is granted depends on the tenants case, up till that point the s21 can be issued but it will not be until the hearing whether its ruled valid or not.

Non protection of deposit would be a good reason for the judge to not grant possession, it would then have the added bonus of giving clear evidence to then pursue for a penalty. Since the obvious route would be for the Landlord to then protect the deposit late to try and get a court order again. There for you would have some good evidence the deposit rule had not been observed.

7 hours ago, GreenDevil said:

Band E is actually more tricky than you may think, to pass you need double glazing and a condensing boiler. A lot of older houses without cavity wall insulation ie victorian with double skin bricks are likely to have great difficulties reaching the required standard.

Are you sure, our D rated house had solid walls, leaded lights, minimal loft insulation and incandescent lights. The only thing it had in its favor was a new condensing boiler.