House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mrs Bear

Bronchiolitis

Anybody else had much experience of this?  I hadn't even heard of it until a couple of years ago, but my 18 month old grandson has just spent 6 nights  in hospital with this bloody virus - it's the 4th time he's had to be admitted, though he was much younger for the first 3.  We were hoping he was growing out of it - they are generally supposed to by about 2, so fingers Xed.  

Couldn't fault the NHS care - JR hospital in Oxford was fantastic yet again, and the emergency ambulance arrived within 10'minutes after he suddenly got worse. 

No experience myself, though I used to suffer asthma attacks when very young and had to be taken to hospital on two occasions.

There's still time for him to "grow out of it". His sounds like a more serious episode than most, but then, my asthma was dreadful when I was young, and at age 14 it just went away.

Apparently really common, and usually over by the twos.

Other than to wish your grandson a speedy recovery, given the recurrence, you might want to pursue with your GPs a new notion that fevers might not be something to be suppressed in every case. There is some suggestion that a mild raising of body temperature stops viral replication. Probably at your grandson's age, it isn't something you'd like to "experiment" with, and to treat any fever discomfort accordingly. But there is a suggestion that lurching for the paracetamol at first signs of a slight fever might not be the best course of action. You might wanna read up on it. Either way, be led by your medical practitioners.

On 26/01/2018 at 12:58 AM, The Eagle said:

How many jabs did he already get?

The usual ones, plus meningitis. 

On 18/01/2018 at 11:40 AM, Sledgehead said:

Apparently really common, and usually over by the twos.

Other than to wish your grandson a speedy recovery, given the recurrence, you might want to pursue with your GPs a new notion that fevers might not be something to be suppressed in every case. There is some suggestion that a mild raising of body temperature stops viral replication. Probably at your grandson's age, it isn't something you'd like to "experiment" with, and to treat any fever discomfort accordingly. But there is a suggestion that lurching for the paracetamol at first signs of a slight fever might not be the best course of action. You might wanna read up on it. Either way, be led by your medical practitioners.

My daughter is not the type to fuss over a slightly raised temperature.  

But this time he was clearly very unwell - got worse very fast one evening, laboured breathing, so much so that she called the emergency ambulance and he was whipped into hospital straight away.  Was on oxygen for several days.  Not quite as bad as the first time, though, when he was only about 4 months - was in ICU for a week, sedated and tube fed.