House Price Crash Forum

Landlord claiming excessive damages

Hi looking for some advice.

Just moved out of house we (2 adults and 2 children) lived in for just over 18mths.

Landlord trying to claim nearly £1k to redecorate painted walls which have been scuffed. The walls were not perfect when we moved in and I suspect haven’t been painted for a number of years. Looking for solid information to dispute the landlord claims. I believe the walls were due to be repainted anyway and they’re trying to cover the cost of a newly painted house.

Any advice most appreciated.

thanks 

1 hour ago, When??? said:

Hi looking for some advice.

Just moved out of house we (2 adults and 2 children) lived in for just over 18mths.

Landlord trying to claim nearly £1k to redecorate painted walls which have been scuffed. The walls were not perfect when we moved in and I suspect haven’t been painted for a number of years. Looking for solid information to dispute the landlord claims. I believe the walls were due to be repainted anyway and they’re trying to cover the cost of a newly painted house.

Any advice most appreciated.

thanks 

Something similar happened to me. This was before deposits were held. 

I had to take the LL to the small claims court to get my deposit back. Scruffed walls are just normal wear and tear they found. I'd understand of there were huge gouges out of them.

My LL went ahead and had the flat redecorated so her son could move into something pristine and she expected me to pay for it after evicting us.

Do you know where your deposit is held?

https://www.mydeposits.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/mydeposits-fair-wear-and-tear-guide.pdf

8 hours ago, Flopsy said:

Something similar happened to me. This was before deposits were held. 

I had to take the LL to the small claims court to get my deposit back. Scruffed walls are just normal wear and tear they found. I'd understand of there were huge gouges out of them.

My LL went ahead and had the flat redecorated so her son could move into something pristine and she expected me to pay for it after evicting us.

Do you know where your deposit is held?

https://www.mydeposits.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/mydeposits-fair-wear-and-tear-guide.pdf

Thanks. Yes the deposit is held properly, it’s just so annoying having to go through all the negotiation process.

I have been given a list of damages that run to two sides of A4 long! This is all from what the inventory clerk has noted. I feel that they are being very landlord friendly. Plus I think the check out clerk has been more detailed than the check in clerk. 

There is some wear and tear that we have done but the walls have not been repainted for a few years.