House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FANG

Punks Against Pollution.

Punks Against Pollution.

Network rail are planning to build a concrete sleeper manufacturing plant near a residential housing estate close to Walsall. This process will bring more pollution to the area.

https://www.expressandstar.com/news/local-hubs/walsall/2018/01/13/more-than-1200-sign-against-rail-sleeper-factory-plan-near-bescot-station-and-m6/

Could you please spare one minute of your time to support the residents and sign the petition objecting to this by clicking the link https://www.change.org/.../stop-national-rail-building-a...

Thanks for your support

Why should I sign it?

If the petition is successful, they might want to bring the manufacturing to where I live.

NIMBYs for Ever.

4 hours ago, MattW said:

Surprised that NR hadn't outsourced manufacturing to an Asian country! :huh:

I'm sure they would of, if it were not for the weight of them/shipping costs.

Plant some trees so they can go back to wooden sleepers, everyone's happy (until it comes time to creosote them anyway).

Generally I'm all for anything that upsets the sort of people who start sneering "nimby", but saying it's about pollution sounds like it's searching for excuses (big ugly sh1theap of a modern plant is a perfectly decent reason though).

WTF, I am from the West Midlands, it has been hemorrhaging manufacturing jobs for years.

Many people (probably including the nimby's) complain about the lack of opportunities.

Now people complain about a potential factory.  Why?  The area is not exactly an area of outstanding natural beauty.  It is an industrial area, building factories is in keeping with the area.

If it's building on a brownfield site, yes. Otherwise it's just the constant depressing spread of development that makes a place even more of a dump. That said in some places it's not hard to find a place you could build a factory and just get a shrug from me. Pollution doesn't sound like a particularly big worry (would've been 100 years ago).

3 hours ago, Riedquat said:

If it's building on a brownfield site, yes. Otherwise it's just the constant depressing spread of development that makes a place even more of a dump. That said in some places it's not hard to find a place you could build a factory and just get a shrug from me. Pollution doesn't sound like a particularly big worry (would've been 100 years ago).

It is in a very industrial area (or formerly industrial), so yes definitely a brownfield site.

By building this factory close to the residential area it is going increase various forms of pollution and will exacerbate the air quality due to extra traffic and the manufacturing process.

The area already has illegal NO2 levels so the local authority should be looking at regenerating the area and improving air quality instead of turning it into a larger industrial estate and affecting even more peoples heath. Or does that not matter.

There are more suitable sites away from residential areas to build this factory.

16 hours ago, reddog said:

It is in a very industrial area (or formerly industrial), so yes definitely a brownfield site.

OK, definitely a shrug then. Good to have some jobs too. Pity it's concrete (high up on my list of inventions whose applications are depressing), but can't have everything. Extra traffic? If it's for rail stuff you'd hope (but not really expect these days I suppose) quite a lot of stuff would go in and out by rail.

Whilst I sympathise I do wonder how much weight local politicians will give to petitions signed by people at the other end of the country.

It raises the increasingly posed question: what actually can turn the tables once councilors  sees an opportunity to meet gov targets / prove themselves as leaders / get their drive block-paved etc.

The answer to that question, I suspect, is dirt, dug deep, and plenty of it.

Anything else seems to be swept aside. Science, even that produced by the council's own advisors, is ignored or discredited. Guidelines are merely that. Law is side-stepped. And petitions and protest are worn down by attrition.

Anybody successfully stopped anything? Thought not.