House Price Crash Forum

Tusk Warns Poland Could Hold A Brexit Style EU Referendum

Could Poland Quit EU?

Telegraph

"The benefit of being in the EU boils down to the balance of payments, with a complete disregard for other benefits like the common market, legal order, guaranteed security, etc," Tusk told the Tygodnik Powszechny news weekly.

"As long as we’re not a net contributor, the game is worth the candle for them. So I can easily imagine a situation where if one day Poland finds itself among the (net) contributors, the Polish government will decide that it’s time to ask Poles if they still want Poland in the EU."

Tusk said it was "a sad day for all" last month when Brussels triggered article seven of the EU treaty over what it sees as "systemic threats" to the independence of the Polish judiciary from the nation’s right-wing government.

Never before used against an EU member state, the proceedings can lead to the "nuclear option" of the suspension of a country’s voting rights within the bloc.

Poland has been the biggest recipient of EU funding for years. Ungrateful ba**ards!

Or not really. Multinats and foreign banks have been the major beneficiaries while Polish business has been decimated. 

Polish nationalism may be a poison to Juncker but a country that was wiped off the map for 150 years tends, quite naturally, to have formed a rather different world view. 

Anyway, another disaffected country to add to the growing list.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, copydude said:

Or not really. Multinats and foreign banks have been the major beneficiaries while Polish business has been decimated. 

Perhaps one interesting facet of brexit is that we discovered that complete barefaced lies can be used to achieve end goals. I see that practice has continued.

44 minutes ago, copydude said:

Could Poland Quit EU?

Telegraph

Poland has been the biggest recipient of EU funding for years. Ungrateful ba**ards!

Polish nationalism may be a poison to Juncker but a country that was wiped off the map for 150 years tends, quite naturally, to have formed a rather different world view. 

Disaffected country? Sounds like they are quite happy taking the money but dont much care about anything else.

What exactly has Poland got to be dissafeced with? 

The EU is bang on for holding them to account. If they don't comply they should be thrown out. 

You make it sound as if the EU is in the wrong, when clearly it is not.

2 minutes ago, honkydonkey said:

I can't see how an entity that allows all of your educated children to leave, just when they turn into contributors can be good for the host nation.

Yes, allowing people more freedom is too horrible to contemplate. I feel desperately sorry for Stoke, Malton, Scunthorpe because just as their youth becomes educated we allow them to just get up and leave. 

As I keep suggesting, we need to start geo-stamping people at birth and they will just have to make do in the town they're born in. They should have had more foresight to be born in London if they wanted to live there.

1 hour ago, copydude said:

Could Poland Quit EU?

Telegraph

I love Poland, it is one of  my favourite European countries.  

If you speak to the average young Pole, they are a lot more clear in their understanding of the world, compared to the average young Brit, French or German person.

I recon place like the UK and Germany will be looking to Poland for guidance in 20 or 30 years time.

Also this year is 100 years of Polish independence.  We should be celebrating it!!

RE the EU, they should be calling out Spain, Portugal and Italy for p***ing EU funds up the wall.

All these Eastern European countries were repressed Communist states 25 years ago.

I would say Czech republic has now surpassed Portugal, Spain and Italy, and Poland, Slovakia and Hungary will also achieve that in the nearish term.

Really we should be calling out Portugal, Spain and Italy for wasting money since the 70s/early 80s.

Edited by reddog
29 minutes ago, dugsbody said:

Yes, allowing people more freedom is too horrible to contemplate. I feel desperately sorry for Stoke, Malton, Scunthorpe because just as their youth becomes educated we allow them to just get up and leave. 

As I keep suggesting, we need to start geo-stamping people at birth and they will just have to make do in the town they're born in. They should have had more foresight to be born in London if they wanted to live there.

You probably don't understand the implications because you live in a country that hasn't seen millions of educated adults leave the moment they're able to start paying back. How will a country ever improve if all those willing and able leave?

I'm not saying people should be forced to live and die where they're born. But the pull factor from rich economies create distortions that don't come apparent for a generation or two.

Perhaps education could come from EU funding. Then it wouldn't matter so much. All rise for the EU anthem children.

Edited by honkydonkey
Just now, ccc said:

It's just a question of when. 

It will never be disbanded, not without some serious unrest on a continental scale. We still can't even leave if you haven't noticed. Nor do I expect we ever will do, they're just dragging time along so when we get to vote on the final package more young will be of voting age and oldies died off - enough to swing that 4% back.

55 minutes ago, reddog said:

I love Poland, it is one of  my favourite European countries.  

If you speak to the average young Pole, they are a lot more clear in their understanding of the world, compared to the average young Brit, French or German person.

I recon place like the UK and Germany will be looking to Poland for guidance in 20 or 30 years time.

Also this year is 100 years of Polish independence.  We should be celebrating it!!

RE the EU, they should be calling out Spain, Portugal and Italy for p***ing EU funds up the wall.

All these Eastern European countries were repressed Communist states 25 years ago.

I would say Czech republic has now surpassed Portugal, Spain and Italy, and Poland, Slovakia and Hungary will also achieve that in the nearish term.

Really we should be calling out Portugal, Spain and Italy for wasting money since the 70s/early 80s.

30 years ago! Or 29.

Czech and Slovanias progress has been eye opening when compared to Spain, Greece, Portugal and regions like Wales, coal fields, liverpool, middlesbrough.

FFS Thatcher did her Walk in the Wilderness in boro in 87 - 31 years ago! Central Europe were pretending to make trabants or whatever heap of junk.

Theres no nice, easy, quick way to update a regions economy. Whatever the solution is, its not been pouring money via councils and local givornments. Councillors have got rich, the local pop has got poor.

53 minutes ago, honkydonkey said:

It will never be disbanded, not without some serious unrest on a continental scale. We still can't even leave if you haven't noticed. Nor do I expect we ever will do, they're just dragging time along so when we get to vote on the final package more young will be of voting age and oldies died off - enough to swing that 4% back.

:lol:

You are completely deluded. Every political union between nations ends in failure. End of story. 

So you are saying with the EU it's "different this time" ?

Tremendous. 

2 hours ago, IMHAL said:

Disaffected country? Sounds like they are quite happy taking the money but dont much care about anything else.

The EU is bang on for holding them to account. If they don't comply they should be thrown out. 

You make it sound as if the EU is in the wrong, when clearly it is not.

Forced migrant quota’s 

1 hour ago, IMHAL said:

It's held to account anytime it does anytime it deviates from a Brussels 'norm'. There was a row over lowering the retirement age, for example.

Then there is the fine for not taking in the EU selection of migrants while absorbing over 2 million Ukranians - an exodus for which the EU is directly responsible. And without which Ukraine would be more of a disaster area than it is.

And the fight over taxation of foreign business to preserve at least a tiny part of what Poland still owns.

By the way, if the EU had a system of common pensions and healthcare for member states, many of the negative impacts of FoM could be addressed. And certainly benefits comes under that.  

If they don't comply they should be thrown out. 

That's the same kind of Hobson's Choice they were given under Soviet rule by central control freaks. 

There is strong support for UE in Poland and no one from the ruling party has ever mentioned referendum or leaving UE. What Tusk said is just a part of hysteric propaganda of his political party that lost previous general election in Poland.

Edited by Paul77
2 hours ago, copydude said:

It's held to account anytime it does anytime it deviates from a Brussels 'norm'. There was a row over lowering the retirement age, for example.

Then there is the fine for not taking in the EU selection of migrants while absorbing over 2 million Ukranians - an exodus for which the EU is directly responsible. And without which Ukraine would be more of a disaster area than it is.

And the fight over taxation of foreign business to preserve at least a tiny part of what Poland still owns.

By the way, if the EU had a system of common pensions and healthcare for member states, many of the negative impacts of FoM could be addressed. And certainly benefits comes under that.  

That's the same kind of Hobson's Choice they were given under Soviet rule by central control freaks. 

Ok - I'm listening.

I think that they should take their share of immigrants. Why is the Ukraine the EU's fault and why did Poland have to take them in?

In the last part of your argument you are arguing for closer integration - which I agree with if you want to stop the kinds of dislocation we currently have. It will also stop, as you say, some of the problems we are witnessing - so I agree with you, that is the solution.