House Price Crash Forum
macca13

Wheel estate boom

Californians living in cars due to rent and house prices whilst developers trickle housing onto the market at stupidly high prices.. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.sandiegouniontribune.com/opinion/sd-living-in-cars-in-california-20171227-story,amp.html

it sounds to me like the bankers/governments/house builders/elites all got together to scheme on how to screw everyone over and increase slavery.. and the public instead of fighting against it, are participating in our own decline to the bottom with willing exceptance that we deserve to be treated like excreament!

I’m living in my camper van in Portugal. It’s completely free for me to be here as it costs a fraction of any rent and bills I’d be paying. This way of life is going to get more and more popular as people realise 40 hours a week working is needed for a house and 8 hours for a van. 

If it was so bad then why is the algarve full of boomers in motorhomes when they have houses all paid for left empty back home. 

Of course it doesn’t work so easily in the UK, but no surprises there. 

38 minutes ago, honkydonkey said:

I’m living in my camper van in Portugal. It’s completely free for me to be here as it costs a fraction of any rent and bills I’d be paying. This way of life is going to get more and more popular as people realise 40 hours a week working is needed for a house and 8 hours for a van. 

If it was so bad then why is the algarve full of boomers in motorhomes when they have houses all paid for left empty back home. 

It’s happening in Bristol apparently, my friend on the book of faces is saving up for a motor home.. this year I think her and husband are jacking in their rental flat and living in the van.. 

its mainly street parking/living. As long as you have MOT, tax and insurance it’s legal.. at the moment.. not sure what you do about post and work address? 

2 hours ago, macca13 said:

It’s happening in Bristol apparently, my friend on the book of faces is saving up for a motor home.. this year I think her and husband are jacking in their rental flat and living in the van.. 

its mainly street parking/living. As long as you have MOT, tax and insurance it’s legal.. at the moment.. not sure what you do about post and work address? 

Your mums or a friend.

I had a 6 month stretch living for free on ah houseboat. What limited mail I needed then I had sent to where I worked.

3 hours ago, macca13 said:

I live in Bristol and sometimes there is a whole road of campers and converted vans up the road from me (Clifton Downs).  I lived in a Caravan for a while when I first moved down here, I setup a virtual address for £30 a month (for my post) and signed up to a 24 hours gym for £10.99 which meant I had access to a hot shower when needed.  

I imagine they will try and stop it soon and find some way of making it illegal.

5 hours ago, macca13 said:

Californians living in cars due to rent and house prices whilst developers trickle housing onto the market at stupidly high prices.. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.sandiegouniontribune.com/opinion/sd-living-in-cars-in-california-20171227-story,amp.html

it sounds to me like the bankers/governments/house builders/elites all got together to scheme on how to screw everyone over and increase slavery.. and the public instead of fighting against it, are participating in our own decline to the bottom with willing exceptance that we deserve to be treated like excreament!

This makes me wheely angry.

7 hours ago, honkydonkey said:

If I have to be really honest - before the current boom in prices (approx. 5 years ago) my income was low (graduate starting salary - still above national average) and I considered living in a motorhome/van to save up for a house deposit. 

Managed to save some decent money without actually having to live there but I missed the boom in house prices in London.

2 hours ago, warrior88 said:

If I have to be really honest - before the current boom in prices (approx. 5 years ago) my income was low (graduate starting salary - still above national average) and I considered living in a motorhome/van to save up for a house deposit. 

Managed to save some decent money without actually having to live there but I missed the boom in house prices in London.

I did a month or so in the UK before I came abroad and it's a different world. You're looked down upon in the UK for trying to escape the system, whereas in Europe, and especially right now in Portugal there's tons of fulltimers, and the locals don't seem to have any problems as we bring money into essentially poor areas in the middle of nowhere - because they have great beaches and you're left alone.

Also access to water and waste dumps is very easy, and for free 90% of the time, in the UK that involves a £15 campsite stopoff weekly.

Offseason campsites here with hookup are around £7.60 a night, so you can chill out if the suns not shining for little money. Come Feb I expect the sun to be shining more and be higher in the sky to give me all the power I need, although that can be accomodated for over winter with a better solar system.

Oh yeah and unlimited 4g data sim, 30 euros a month. Honestly, van living is good in the right places. I used to spend my evenings sitting infront of a computer at home. Now I spend my evenings sitting infront of a computer in a van. What's the difference? About £40 a day saved for a start, bad neighbours never an issue for more than 1 day, nice views, nice walks, great social life - you speak to far more people from all over the place, I had neighbours I never spoke to for 10 years at home!

Edited by honkydonkey

its not just the rent, everyone wants to squeeze you these days, so much so the time they have all had their bit there aint much left. i remember when £5 did you for electric no problem for a week. or council tax was £250 year, i rented  a bedsit for 150 month. 

now yes things go up all the time. the problem is while most of these things have gone up about 5 fold since 1989 wages aint. infact i think wages have only doubles since then. and here lies the problem. people are being squeezed. also back then you could park for free even right in town centres. now half the jobs out there appear to be about extorting money from you that you find very hard to avoid. a million little government and there hired officials running around lije the mafia collecting cash for free. damn even hospitals charging the staff that work there to park. totally disgracefull. they have all turned this country into a horrible place. i read the other day that 50% of scotsmen have a conviction of some sort. now i honestly can say things are much better than they used to be its just there sitting arounf corners waiting to pounce all the time now. i dont like this country anymore its almost like half the people are sucking off the other half and the ones doing it have all the cards on their side.  everywhere you go security men watching you even in the street, you park your car gotta watch for the traffic warden watching you, forget to tax your car another fine even if its sitting in a shed, baliffs knocking on doors all over usually not for frivolous spending but for all the people hard pressed to pay everything they say their due. cameras watching you everywhere one false move and your up in court even face book is at it with anyone that speaks out of tune on a drunken night having their lives ruined. i honestly have to get away from this place its driving me crazy. 

11 hours ago, EmmaRoid said:

Did @Rave ever make the move?

No...I went and passed my truck test so that I can drive as big a van as I please, but then got cold feet. Have spent the last year drying out and trying to do more shop arbing, for which living in London is a major advantage! I'd really like to be able to buy the van without dipping into my house deposit fund, but perhaps I'm missing the point there...

2 hours ago, Rave said:

No...I went and passed my truck test so that I can drive as big a van as I please, but then got cold feet. Have spent the last year drying out and trying to do more shop arbing, for which living in London is a major advantage! I'd really like to be able to buy the van without dipping into my house deposit fund, but perhaps I'm missing the point there...

Your money is safer in a van than the bank. You won’t be losing anything  when you sell  if you buy a good second hand one 

5 hours ago, Rave said:

Hope the drying out is working and the sharbing going well.

I'm not a #Baller but I've had a good couple of months on 2-up. Liverpool paid for Xmas :lol:

19 hours ago, honkydonkey said:

I did a month or so in the UK before I came abroad and it's a different world.....

Ok, ok, sign me up!  Always thought it was plan B, now plan A.  I'm adding "project van" to my short life plan.  A few folks around here do it but prefer horse boxes.  A bit too big methinks for your lifestyle - something more agile with an awning methinks.

PS:. Clever boy!

Edited by Fence

17 hours ago, Saving For a Space Ship said:

Related...

Living in cars, working for Amazon: meet America's new nomads https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/dec/02/nomadland-living-in-cars-working-amazon 

Equal part fascinating and scary, and Amazon are clearly keen to take full advantage for the benefit of their shareholders/the 1%

21st century living seems to be like a permenant 1930s great depression for a lot of westerners, 1 poor financial decision or redundancy and your finished, esp those over 50 :/

I note some are living in Prius's, i know the rear seats fold flat so you could theretically sleep in one for a few hoyrs but indefinately? Wow..

46 minutes ago, Sugarlips said:

Equal part fascinating and scary, and Amazon are clearly keen to take full advantage for the benefit of their shareholders/the 1%

21st century living seems to be like a permenant 1930s great depression for a lot of westerners, 1 poor financial decision or redundancy and your finished, esp those over 50 :/

I note some are living in Prius's, i know the rear seats fold flat so you could theretically sleep in one for a few hoyrs but indefinately? Wow..

Prius is great choice , but as you say , could be a bit bigger, Auris hybrid estates will drop in price as next best imo

As things will get worse imo, a cheaper camper type pop up roof for a car would be great for more space .

perhaps a roof top camper for the kids 

http://www.instructables.com/id/Roof-top-car-camper/

I've done research on disaster shelters , and thought that scrapper cars would be better than a tent to live in if push comes to shove

Prius tent  

emotionheader1.jpg.650x0_q70_crop-smart.jpg

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Prius+tent&num=100&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiyo5b669TYAhUSOsAKHSf1C-YQsAQIMw&biw=1242&bih=636

10 hours ago, Greg Bowman said:

Your money is safer in a van than the bank

VW Caravanette  camping in the Highlands as a kid!Sausages and midgies.

Any thoughts on how a good second hand van might look on Gumtree?Ford Connect for converting perhaps.Image result for stealth van ford connect convert

4 hours ago, stairlift needed said:

VW Caravanette  camping in the Highlands as a kid!Sausages and midgies.

Any thoughts on how a good second hand van might look on Gumtree?Ford Connect for converting perhaps.Image result for stealth van ford connect convert

ive bought a citroen dispatch lwb to convert. area fraction less than a vw t5 but half the price of a vw t5 and dont say vw is more reliable they aint, infact they are less reliable, its just the trendy scene like iphones that keep em going. any repairs are also half the price. im just hoping i find it comfortable enough and not want something bigger, if so then ca n allways sell. my intention is to use for 6 months of the winter around europe next winter and check out where i might like to buy somewhere. 

Been thinking about this myself recently - I reckon doing a Sprinter conversion (high top, LWB version preferably with 4x4) is the way to go.

Not so much to live in permanently but would be fantastic for contracting.  Just 'stealth camp' in lieu of getting a hotel or short-term let as you're talking 3-4 months per contract usually. It would also be great for vacationing in all the spare time between contracts.

On 1/13/2018 at 10:47 AM, Sugarlips said:

To be fair, most of the van people are happy enough to do the work to earn a bit of ready cash with no long term commitment - they're not being exploited.  The lifestyle is based around doing seasonal jobs for ready cash and travelling and chilling out the rest of the time.

Living out of a car though ........  :ph34r: