House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fletcher

Trump: "Why Are We Having All These People From Shithole Countries Come Here?"

8 hours ago, Odakyu-sen said:

Did Trump actually say that? I'd like to hear the tape or read the transcript of the meeting. 

Who knows. The White House certainly did not deny it. 

According to the BBC, this caused a few problems for global media in finding a translation. It became 'restroom like' countries in the Japanese press. There were some other funnies, but in the last hour he has denied everything in a tweet and the original story has been flushed.

He seems to tweet every five minutes so this may change.

1 hour ago, copydude said:

Who knows. The White House certainly did not deny it. 

According to the BBC, this caused a few problems for global media in finding a translation. It became 'restroom like' countries in the Japanese press. There were some other funnies, but in the last hour he has denied everything in a tweet and the original story has been flushed.

He seems to tweet every five minutes so this may change.

at least you hear from him.  rather than a reporter reporting on a precis another reporter has produced.

3 hours ago, Does Commute Abit said:

I'm glad Trump's not coming to London

Absolutely. We are lucky it's a sh1thole.

18 hours ago, Does Commute Abit said:

Very worrying quote, if true.  

I'm glad Trump's not coming to London, it would cause too much trouble. 

Absolutely, just an excuse for those playing the welfare system to get up to a bit of mischief and chaos and smash up a few shops and public buildings. whipped up to a frenzy by the left wing propaganda of channel 4 news and the BBC. Meanwhile the BBC would see it as politically correct rioting, partly created by themselves.

Incidentally, Trump could visit France without a murmur. Here it would be total chaos.

1 hour ago, crashmonitor said:

Absolutely, just an excuse for those playing the welfare system to get up to a bit of mischief and chaos and smash up a few shops and public buildings. whipped up to a frenzy by the left wing propaganda of channel 4 news and the BBC. Meanwhile the BBC would see it as politically correct rioting, partly created by themselves.

Incidentally, Trump could visit France without a murmur. Here it would be total chaos.

Whipped up by left wing propaganda? 

Any examples? When did Channel 4 misquote the commander In chief? I’d doubt they’d need to going on his twitter feed.

Just now, PopGun said:

Whipped up by left wing propaganda? 

Any examples? When did Channel 4 misquote the commander I’m chief? I’d doubt they’d need to going on his twitter feed.

What makes this country different then to say Germany or France where a Trump visit is greeted with barely a protest. It would be total anarchy and riots if Trump came here, egged on by out media. God help us if he does.

Peaceful demonstrations normally turn nasty because of police kettling . . . a long time favourite:

I was a 24-year-old American reading English at Cambridge and went down to London to participate and watch the anti-war protest outside American Embassy in Grosvenor Square.

Along the way I took the pictures, among others, of Tariq Ali and Vanessa Redgrave, who were heading the march. 

I remember being terrified at being chased down by what seemed like scores of mounted police with truncheons flailing about while the square was blocked off so that none who found themselves on the inside could get out.

2 hours ago, crashmonitor said:

What makes this country different then to say Germany or France where a Trump visit is greeted with barely a protest. It would be total anarchy and riots if Trump came here, egged on by out media. God help us if he does.

Why because it doesn’t happen or it doesn’t get reported. Because the French at least need little excuse to protest..

Do you accept that maybe his comments may have contributed, just a little?

Cause and effect, free speech goes both ways.

I don't even see how what Trump said was racist. It has nothing to do with race. If the countries are 'shit holes', the colour of those living there is irrelevant.

1 hour ago, copydude said:

13 Reasons to Visit the ‘Shithole Countries’ President Trump Singled Out

Conde Nast Traveller

From that article:

... though it wasn't clear which of the 54 states on the continent the president may have been thinking of

Can you say "fake news"?

Meanwhile, No 1 in the imagined list of Conde Nast, El Salvador. The reason for traveling there  is this:

el-salvador-national-palace-01-cr-alamy.

That's the National Palace.

So tourists should go visit a fancy building built probably by slave labour for elites, in a country of which wikipedia says:

However, the country continues to struggle with high rates of poverty, inequality, and crime.

Sure, you might wanna blame the Americans for some of El Salvador's economic problems - we've all seen the brilliant movie.

But it always takes two to tango. You need corrupt and weak officials to take the bribes and coercion. And they always have. And then we rubber stamp the newly found status of these puppets by allowing them to believe the bribes they took - the gilded palaces, the custom Rolls Royces - makes them legitimate rulers.

You might not like what Trump said, but maybe, just maybe, it'll puncture the gold-plated-armoured-Rollers the supposed leaders of these countries have gotten used to and remind them that what makes a leader is the health and wealth of their people, not how fancy their palaces are or how awestruck Conde Nast journos are.

3 minutes ago, Sledgehead said:

From that article:

So tourists should go visit a fancy building built probably by slave labour for elites,

Wouldn't that apply to a huge percentage of the world's tourist attractions?

Places like El Salvador don't attract me either, but you can't just rubbish whole nations and in offensive language - I do think Presidents should be a little more circumspect. It simply comes across as vulgar and ignorant.

57 minutes ago, copydude said:

Wouldn't that apply to a huge percentage of the world's tourist attractions?

No it doesn't. Versailles is not a monument I find objectionable because the system that created it has been replaced by democracy, and the nation that built it decided it should be retained as a play-thing of the people. It represents a nation that can be proud of its wealth, because it is shared. That's the point.

Places like El Salvador don't attract me either, but you can't just rubbish whole nations and in offensive language - I do think Presidents should be a little more circumspect. It simply comes across as vulgar and ignorant.

And you don't think the whole Trump / Brexit vote was a resounding rejection of style over substance?

38 minutes ago, Sledgehead said:

No it doesn't. Versailles is not a monument I find objectionable because the system that created it has been replaced by democracy, and the nation that built it decided it should be retained as a play-thing of the people. It represents a nation that can be proud of its wealth, because it is shared. That's the point.

Most of the shithole places photographed were created by God and can be shared by anyone.

What do you find objectionable about the Table Mountain, for example?

51 minutes ago, copydude said:

Most of the shithole places photographed were created by God and can be shared by anyone.

What do you find objectionable about the Table Mountain, for example?

We were talking about mm stuff in general and El Salvador in particular. Why would I find table mountain objectionable? Moreover, the CN article merely assumes that SA is on the "shit list". Do we really know if it is?

Do you think Trump thinks Table Mountain is "shit"? Do you think he believe an entire nation is "shit"? Or do you think he talks much as we all do? When I say this country is in a state, do I mean the Peak District? Do I mean the population at large? Or do I, like most people, think that the system - ie the governance - needs improving?

Why assume Trump means anything different from what this map tells us:

CPI2016_mapforCard_1280.jpg

And let's not forget, while the latest crop of virtue signalers are telling us why we should visit countries with dubious administrations, previous social justice warriors told us to avoid such places until their politics had been cleaned up, cos to do otherwise was merely giving them legitimacy.

The British MSM and certain people in this country are in danger of becoming a tad obsessive about Trump

His actual policies such as the repeal of elements of President Clinton's Child Health Care Act 2000 which negatively impact many US citizens receive almost no coverage in the UK but there are endless news items about thing he has tweeted or has allegedly said most of which are of tranient importance to  people in Britain.

The latest story has apparently been leaked from a White House meeting which would have been mainly attended by Republican staffers which should raise an immediate red flag that the news coverage might being gamed.

The constant hunger of the 24 hour news cycle for copy means that Trump is a gift for Republican news managers since they can set the media charging after hares while distracting attention from what they are actually planning to do. Moreover the only thing they care about is how the story plays with US voters. They dont give a stuff what the rest of the world thinks.

Incidentally the meeting was to discuss DACA which was already under review before Trump even got elected

The Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) was an American immigration policy that allowed some individuals who entered the country as minors, and had either entered or remained in the country illegally, to receive a renewable two-year period of deferred action from deportation and to be eligible for a work permit. As of 2017, approximately 800,000 individuals—referred to as Dreamers after the DREAM Act bill—were enrolled in the program created by DACA. The policy was established by the Obama administration in June 2012 and rescinded by the Trump administration in September 2017.[1]

In November 2014 President Barack Obama announced his intention to expand DACA to cover additional illegal immigrants. But multiple states immediately sued to prevent the expansion, which was ultimately blocked by the courts. The United States Department of Homeland Security rescinded the expansion on June 16, 2017, while continuing to review the existence of the DACA program as a whole. The DACA policy was rescinded by the Trump administration on September 5, 2017, but full implementation of the rescission was delayed six months to give Congress time to decide how to deal with the population that was previously eligible under the policy.[2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deferred_Action_for_Childhood_Arrivals

20 hours ago, copydude said:

13 Reasons to Visit the ‘Shithole Countries’ President Trump Singled Out

Conde Nast Traveller

Just because a country has some nice things to look at doesn't stop it from being a shithole. This is a totally falacious argument.

18 hours ago, copydude said:

you can't just rubbish whole nations and in offensive language

Well actually you can. And in the US their right to do so is enshrined in the Constitution.

1 hour ago, Errol said:

Well actually you can. And in the US their right to do so is enshrined in the Constitution.

You're quite right of course. But that doesn't stop it being offensive and ill-advised, considering a large number of shitholes around the world were f***ed up by the US in the first place, from Iraq to Ukraine. If not the whole of South America.

17 hours ago, stormymonday_2011 said:

The British MSM and certain people in this country are in danger of becoming a tad obsessive about Trump

I would say, 'a tad apprehensive'. And not without reason.

The Jerusalem embassy incident has triggered riots in Rabat, Beirut, Cairo and fuelled talk of a Palestinian uprising. Many people welcomed Trump on the basis that Hilary would have seen us at war with Russia. However, Trump is hardly looking like a contribution to world peace either. 

Come on, Errol, it's not difficult. You always express your views in a considered and civilised manner and you're not even a president. (Well, as far we now.)