House Price Crash Forum
Fletcher

Pensioner incomes to rise above graduate starting salaries for first time

Good for them, most pensioners worked from the age of 16 to 60 and fought for the country. The snowflakes have never done a day's work :rolleyes:

Typical boomer comments, ‘scrimped and scraped to pay the mortgage’. What they fail to understand is the younger avocado eating/iphone owning millennials would love to have that opportunity.

Both sides on there completely missing the point about low wages. Boomers blaming Johnny Foreigner and millennials blaming Brexit and boomers. No one points the finger at the government, fudging unemployment figures and subsiding companies through £30 billion a year in working tax credits. 

3 hours ago, Bsmf said:

Good for them, most pensioners worked from the age of 16 to 60 and fought for the country. The snowflakes have never done a day's work :rolleyes:

Nope.

I think youll find about 50% of them didnt.

Even for blokes, I think the average for my Dad and his cohorts is about 30 years.

And they didnt fight either.

OK, just seen smiley ...

2 hours ago, sideysid said:

Typical boomer comments, ‘scrimped and scraped to pay the mortgage’. What they fail to understand is the younger avocado eating/iphone owning millennials would love to have that opportunity.

Both sides on there completely missing the point about low wages. Boomers blaming Johnny Foreigner and millennials blaming Brexit and boomers. No one points the finger at the government, fudging unemployment figures and subsiding companies through £30 billion a year in working tax credits. 

They MIRAs to take the sting out.

And high wage inflation.

Come on, it doesn't matter does it?

This is brilliant divide and conquer stuff.

The problem is the cost of housing, boomers get no benefit from high housing costs and gradies can't afford to live.

The whole thing is a cluster fuk

1 hour ago, frederico said:

This is brilliant divide and conquer stuff.

The whole thing is a cluster fuk

Indeed.  Bait for Mr and Ms angry.  After all, everyone in the media knows that anger and fear sells.  Sod the consequences.

Edited by Fence

Most of the better old-style pensions linked to RPI or some now CPI.....still better than frozen or below what is told is inflation........compounded inflation linked increases over time grows faster, when for those starting out with growing families who have food, transport, childcare and mortgages or rents to pay, inflation and costs are higher and rising faster.....older people generally +70 spend less, eat less, will have if worked hard over years have no rent or mortgage to pay, travel less or use the free buses, free prescriptions, help with heating costs........most in that position will I am sure help their kids and grandkids......they need it more than they do. ;)

I can't see the full article. 

However the stated retirement income (£19,00 p.a.) seems to be a survey of 1000 Prudential customers.

If indeed you are a graduate you should be able to tell this is not the same as the average for the population of current retirees.

Perhaps someone could tell us the truth before everyone goes off on one.

2 minutes ago, winkie said:

The majority of OAPs I would say live on less than half that......there are some that live on more than double that, everything in-between.;)

£10,786 including new state pension according to this:

https://propertymoose.co.uk/blog/average-uk-pension-pot-how-does-yours-compare/

i.e practically half of the Prudential advert (yes it's an advert) claim and not much more than half the average new graduate salary.

7 hours ago, Bsmf said:

Most current pensioners didn't fight for the country. If you turned 16 a month before the war ended you would now be 88.

Since WWII the UK has only been in a handful of wars and has had a fully professional (i.e. no conscription / national service) since 1960.

Doesn't stop many of them attempting to bask in reflected glory though. :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, stuckmojo said:

This helps polarising politics to the point that even a complete lunatic like Corbyn has a shot at governing the country.

The figure head for the young just happens to be a recipient of a  final salary package worth two million quid and a major beneficiary of the house price ponzi as he comes up to retirement. It is because of the bankrupting golden promises made to his ilk that the the next generation will get far less and not have his life chances. 

7 hours ago, Bsmf said:

The second world war finished 72 years ago, therefore most pensioners did not fight in it, a lot were not even alive (and the ones that did are probably on average poorer than those who didn't!).

"I didn't fight for this country to..."

"Quite right - you didn't fight for this country."

Actually, my dad did fight for this country. However, he's been dead 10 years now, and by "fighting" I mean "sitting bored shitless in Chatham Docks, winding up the master-at-arms, and buggering each other silly".

Edited by tomandlu

They joined unions, had major protest movements and fought for the rights you now have (and which you are allowing to be gradually taken away by your lack of push back).

So yes they did fight for this country in that sense.

5 minutes ago, kzb said:

They joined unions, had major protest movements and fought for the rights you now have (and which you are allowing to be gradually taken away by your lack of push back).

If they do push back they get told to stop moaning (see posters on here) and have their jobs and livelihoods offshored/onshored with cheap immigrants.

Thanks Grandad, why aren’t you still fighting? It was only ever about the self interest, wasn’t it? Never about social justice...

Edited by EmmaRoid

24 minutes ago, EmmaRoid said:

If they do push back they get told to stop moaning (see posters on here) and have their jobs and livelihoods offshored/onshored with cheap immigrants.

Thanks Grandad, why aren’t you still fighting? It was only ever about the self interest, wasn’t it? Never about social justice...

BUT, if we believe what we are told, it will be the granddads voting against immigration and the young people voting for it ?

17 minutes ago, EmmaRoid said:

Grandads (and Grandmas) believing what they were told put us in this mess.

And most everyone is still doing it.  They really are farming us.

53 minutes ago, kzb said:

I dunno - I always thought the trade union movement started at the end of the 19th century.

If anything, the currently retiring  generation masterminded the dismantlement of it in the 70s/80s!

As far as I can see, pretty much everything that makes Britain good came from the generation before - the people who did actually fight in WWI or WWII and then built council houses and started the NHS. 

Excepting the people who have directly supported me through my life, I don't think I have much to thank the average 60-85 yr old for.