House Price Crash Forum

Assange To Be Evicted From Ecuador Embassy

copydude

HOLA441

Assange - The Last Abode

There's a new broom government in Ecuador and Assange will be in the dustpan.

Ecuador is seeking a mediator (or celebrity they say - post is open) to shift him out of the Embassy.

The National

Looks like Assange wants safe passage to Ecuador. Not a bad place. You can go Iguana spotting and see the world's largest tortoise reserve.

However, the British Gov is having none of it.

Who would you recommend as a mediator? Maybe a Nobel Prizewinner like Bob Dylan? The Pope? Australia's cricket captain?

HOLA442
HOLA443
1 hour ago, copydude said:

Assange - The Last Abode

Ecuador is seeking a mediator (or celebrity they say - post is open) to shift him out of the Embassy.

The National

Looks like Assange wants safe passage to Ecuador. Not a bad place. You can go Iguana spotting and see the world's largest tortoise reserve.

Who would you recommend as a mediator? Maybe a Nobel Prizewinner like Bob Dylan? The Pope? Australia's cricket captain?

Lord Lucan is probably the only person who could give him useful advice.

HOLA444

I thought Putin handled the Snowden situation well. 

2 hours ago, debtlessmanc said:

Lord Lucan is probably the only person who could give him useful advice.

Very creative. :) This does indeed call for some out-of-the-box thinking. Thing is, Britain has to do the dirty deed now, they can't just ship him off to Sweden as before. And that's after a UN slap for torture.

It's hardly surprising that HM Gov are considering deportation to Australia once he hits the pavement. 

HOLA445
HOLA446

Well, that would scrub being deported to Australia. Unless he has dual nationality. No idea about Australian rules. 

A statement by Assange’s legal team said: “The UN ruling, issued almost two years ago, is crystal clear in its language. [He] is unlawfully and arbitrarily detained by the UK authorities and must be released. The UK should not permit itself to be intimidated by the Trump administration’s public threats to ‘take down’ Mr Assange.”

HOLA447
10 hours ago, copydude said:

Assange - The Last Abode

The National

Frankly I'm surprised that, given he's shown himself adept at putting up with being in a confined space for so long that he never tried to skip the UK on the sly by slipping out of the embassy in a large suitcase or box - and then pop up in Ecuador by surprise.

HOLA448

Even if he gets out of the Embassy, I doubt that he'd get very far. Snowden is still holed up in Russia. Ed was thinking about Latin America - Ecuador, Bolivia, Venezuela and Nicaragua were open to hosting - but the CIA operates with impunity in South America and he was aware of the possibility of being snatched.

Snowden couldn't move from Moscow airport because America leaned on just about every other country in the world. At one point, if you remember, the CIA thought Snowden was aboard the Bolivian presidential plane. In minutes, the US had Europe closing its airspace and forcing the plane to land.

HOLA449

According to the Times the other day, the embassy are thoroughly fed up with their 'guest'.  Today's Times goes on to say that there are problems with his hygiene, he needs a lot of 'encouragement' (Times didn't put it so,politely) to have a shower.  

HOLA4410
8 hours ago, copydude said:

Snowden couldn't move from Moscow airport because America leaned on just about every other country in the world. 

Yes, but technically he couldn't leave the Moscow airport transit zone as the US revoked his passport. He had no valid travel documents of any kind and was effectively a citizen of nowhere. One could almost see this as a cunning plan to make sure that Snowden remained in Russia (or at least to give the Russians a problem - which Snowden undoubtedly was at the time).

HOLA4411
43 minutes ago, Mrs Bear said:

According to the Times the other day, the embassy are thoroughly fed up with their 'guest'.  Today's Times goes on to say that there are problems with his hygiene, he needs a lot of 'encouragement' (Times didn't put it so,politely) to have a shower.  

To be fair, he is almost certainly suffering from some mental health issues by this stage. He's been in the Embassy for 5 years (I think).

HOLA4412
25 minutes ago, Errol said:

To be fair, he is almost certainly suffering from some mental health issues by this stage. He's been in the Embassy for 5 years (I think).

Well, sure. He has been there since 2012. 'Whiffyleaks' is the story in The Mirror too. Bradley Manning had a sex-change during his incarceration for whistleblowing - which included an inhuman amount of time in solitary. Bradley is now Cheryl.  Snowden is looking at 30 years since his charge sheet is known. 

There are some physical problems with Assange too resulting from light deprivation.

HOLA4413
6 hours ago, Errol said:

No sympathy, I'm afraid. The bloke always did give me the creeps.

Nor for the embassy.  They made their messy (and evidently smelly) bed - now they can lie on it. 

HOLA4414
On 1/11/2018 at 10:47 PM, anonguest said:

Frankly I'm surprised thatt he never tried to skip the UK on the sly by slipping out of the embassy in a large suitcase or box.

I was rather fascinated by this comment. 

If you were locked up for years, wouldn't you dream about a Great Escape? I was brought up on all those books of WW2 guys getting out of Colditz Castle.

'A large suitcase or box'. The 'whiffyleaks' stories indicate that the Embassy staff had to share sanitary arrangements with Julian because his room plans changed . . . he couldn't sleep because of a noisy loading bay. A loading bay! Perfect!

Another thing I find interesting. If you are locked up for 5 years thanks to a CIA honey trapper, would you want revenge when you got out? Or would you forgive and forget?

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

The 'Sunday Times' had an article this weekend entitled:

By taking refuge at the Ecuadorian embassy in Knightsbridge, Julian Assange has ‘saved’ at least £239,000 in rent

Well, I guess there's an upside to everything . . . 

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4417
  • 3 weeks later...
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
22 hours ago, copydude said:

So. Life Imprisonment for Assange?

Well, yet another legal challenge fails. The Judge doesn't think it would be in the 'public interest' to let Assange out. And it sounds like 'ever'.

Sounds extremely murky though

https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2018/02/assange-judges-husband-runs-security-firm-ex-head-mi6/

HOLA4420

Exposing The UK's Hidden Role In Julian Assange's Detention

Behind the scenes, Sweden wanted to drop the extradition case against Assange back in 2013. Why was this not made public? Because Britain persuaded Sweden to pretend that they still wished to pursue the case.

In other words, for more than four years Assange has been holed up in a tiny room, policed at great cost to British taxpayers, not because of any allegations in Sweden but because the British authorities wanted him to remain there.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-02-21/exposing-uks-hidden-role-julian-assanges-detention

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
  • 1 month later...
HOLA4423

Assange internet connection cut off in embassy 

Kim Dotcom is alleging WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange has had his internet connection within the Ecuadorian embassy in London cut off. He has called on Assange supporters to gather outside the embassy building in solidarity.

Neither WikiLeaks nor Assange has made an official statement regarding the reports. Dotcom demanded that authorities “#ReconnectJulian.” Former Greek Minister of Finance Ioannis Varoufakis also tweeted Wednesday, calling for people to rally around Assange to force the Ecuadorian uthorities to restore his internet connection.

https://www.rt.com/news/422602-assange-internet-cut-dotcom-varoufakis/

• 1 month later...
HOLA4424

Craig Murray on the current Assange news:

The Guardian Rejoices in the Silencing of Assange

The Guardian has today published a whole series of attack piece articles on Julian Assange which plainly exult in the fact he has now been silenced by the cutting of his communication with the outside world. 

https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2018/05/the-guardian-rejoices-in-the-silencing-of-assange/comment-page-1/#comment-749052

HOLA4425

Archived