House Price Crash Forum
Midlifemum

The Brighton mega bubble

I have lived (rented) in Brighton for 17 years- I love it here- but I am close to conceding defeat as can’t afford the rents anymore & have 2 kids. 

House prices are beyond out of control in a town where apparently 1 in 64 people are homeless and house prices rises annually are higher than the average wage in the town. 5000 Londoners apparently moved here last year making a big problem many times worse. 

11% yoy according to today’s Independent but even earlier in the year it was up 9%

http://www.plumplot.co.uk/posts/area/Brighton-mid-2017.html

Our household income is 75k and yet we can’t afford to rent a 3 bed family home. 

It seems to be a town for people who can rent a room for 800 a month or for London money.

Despair doesn’t come close. 

27 minutes ago, Midlifemum said:

I have lived (rented) in Brighton for 17 years- I love it here- but I am close to conceding defeat as can’t afford the rents anymore & have 2 kids. 

House prices are beyond out of control in a town where apparently 1 in 64 people are homeless and house prices rises annually are higher than the average wage in the town. 5000 Londoners apparently moved here last year making a big problem many times worse. 

11% yoy according to today’s Independent but even earlier in the year it was up 9%

Our household income is 75k and yet we can’t afford to rent a 3 bed family home. 

It seems to be a town for people who can rent a room for 800 a month or for London money.

Go West, young man. Shoreham is nice - especially Shoreham Beach.

I can’t. My kids are in school in Brighton. 

And I’m not a man...:huh:

A doctor friend of mine has just left Brighton because they couldn’t afford to live here with a family. 

But I do also know someone with a lifetime self cert interest only mortgage here who pays £100 a month and has never paid a penny of their mortgage off in a decade. 

A divided city/ nation 

53 minutes ago, Midlifemum said:

I take it you mean a 3 bed bouse is much more than 800 and quoting the price for a single rented room?

800 is cheap for a 3 bed house.

Welcome to Great Britian after 10 years of Zero interest policies and BTL.

31 minutes ago, Midlifemum said:

I can’t. My kids are in school in Brighton. 

And I’m not a man...:huh:

A doctor friend of mine has just left Brighton because they couldn’t afford to live here with a family. 

But I do also know someone with a lifetime self cert interest only mortgage here who pays £100 a month and has never paid a penny of their mortgage off in a decade. 

A divided city/ nation 

I'm sorry, somehow I didn't clock your username.

I'm guessing that Whitehawk or Moulsecoomb aren't options.

Schools can be changed, like your doctor friend did for their children. Kids are adaptable.

edit: Isn't your job more important? West on the trainline, or inland?

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Midlifemum said:

come to worthing! seriously! we rent with 2 kids (4 & 6), 2 bed terrace £900pm. PM me if you like!

2 minutes ago, highYield said:

I'm sorry, somehow I didn't clock your username.

I'm guessing that Whitehawk or Morescombe aren't options.

Schools can be changed, like your doctor friend did for their children. Kids are adaptable.

I don't think that is the point. On £75k, someone should easily be able to live with a family anywhere outside of London. If they can't, what hope is there for essential workers?

The problem is that, with the current system, unless you own a house there is very little difference between 16 hours on minimum wage and £75k.

I am in Surrey and just hanging on until the kids leave school this year before I can finally escape.

Liquidate everything, spank it all on crack, tell the ESA you're not going to work anymore and they'll have to look after you. You'll end up on a craphole estate but the kids schooling should be kosher. 

Or move. Even when there is a crash I have a horrible feeling Brighton will still be screwed given its draw from London.

Kids can always be driven a little way to school, I assume the coastal road (27?) Is a nightmare in the mornings but possibly you could get into town easier from Crawley direction? 

How old are the kids? If they're old enough to really kick off about being move schools then perhaps lay it out them...move out of town or we go survivalist and turn a little flat into a dorm for a few years while they finish school...

It's a shit state of affairs. We're all being royally shafted.

1 minute ago, CunningPlan said:

I don't think that is the point. On £75k, someone should easily be able to live with a family anywhere outside of London. If they can't, what hope is there for essential workers?

The problem is that, with the current system, unless you own a house there is very little difference between 16 hours on minimum wage and £75k.

I am in Surrey and just hanging on until the kids leave school this year before I can finally escape.

This has been mentioned on HPC before. 

Practically, in the short term, there are few options other than moving further from the heart of London by the sea.

1 minute ago, disenfranchised said:

Brighton has been increasing above other areas averages for a long time hasn't it?

I'd have been gone ages ago.

It's a classic tale of a shabby, alternative town that became trendy and horribly overpriced - given local work opportunities and how impractical it is to commute to London (unless one lives walking distance from Brighton train station and works walking distance from Victoria).

Plus, for buying: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bungaroosh

Always the way isn't it?

Cheap property sometimes results in small communities of interesting people forming 

Then becomes trendy 

Then money moves in

Then becomes boring again 

I was in San Francisco and L.A. last month. Vastly expensive property but soulless. Hard to believe some of the places I visited gave birth to so much creativity in the past 

I don’t have stats to hand but I keep an eye on Brighton flat prices and half remember Brighton was flat or even slightly down YOY? Might be wrong.... and not much consolation if it was up 15 the year before 

11 minutes ago, highYield said:

It's a classic tale of a shabby, alternative town that became trendy and horribly overpriced - given local work opportunities and how impractical it is to commute to London (unless one lives walking distance from Brighton train station and works walking distance from Victoria).

Plus, for buying: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bungaroosh

It takes a special kind of masochism to commute by train from Brighton to London, but I've known quite a few people who do it.  They're all good at lying to themselves that somehow at least an hour on the train is 'worth it'.

Bungaroosh sums up Brighton nicely.

DOI:  Lived in Kemp Town for six months and enjoyed it, but my commute was 5 minutes door-to-door. 

1 hour ago, Midlifemum said:

And I thought I'd heard it all on this forum.  You a troll or something?  17 years and £75k pa and you can't decently house 2 kids.  Your despair, my anger.  I would ask you to send them my way so I can dump my load on them and get off this Island but we don't have a Waitrose, etc.  What a cluster....!  

According to land reg, looks like about 5% YoY in Brighton currently which is about in line with most towns/cities an hour away form london in past 12 months. 

http://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/sites/brighton-hove.gov.uk/files/2017 (3) Housing Market Report (Jul-Sep).pdf

There is nothing really special about Brighton vs any other town 1hr outside London ( or indeed any major city in the world really)

This has happened all over the world. Nothing special about Brighton, I lived there 10 years! Or the UK really. 

Honestly I've stopped looking at local or even national housing news. Nothing is going to happen to the UK without something happening on the global scale first......

I don't think earnings are very relevant to most Brighton buyers. 

I know about 5 people who bought in brighton over the last 3 years.  Each one from varying combinations of London gains, family loan, and  business equity (lots of entrepreneurs move to Brighton for some reason). None of them earn a single penny from employment within Sussex, so there is part of your answer. 

52 minutes ago, Will! said:

It takes a special kind of masochism to commute by train from Brighton to London, but I've known quite a few people who do it.  They're all good at lying to themselves that somehow at least an hour on the train is 'worth it'.

Bungaroosh sums up Brighton nicely.

DOI:  Lived in Kemp Town for six months and enjoyed it, but my commute was 5 minutes door-to-door. 

My boss used to do Brighton to London. She had to wear a gum shield when she slept cos she kept biting herself in her sleep (stress)

I Remember going to Brighton in the mid 90's . I was thinking about relocating there at the time. 

I looked at a 5/6 floor guest house that was for sale just off the sea front. It was for sale at £130,000. 

A few years later I took another look . There was a very rare house that had not been divided into flats in the Seven Dials area. It was huge but needed total refurbishment. They wanted £310,000 and a very quick exchange or it was going to go to Auction. 

3 hours ago, 999house said:

My boss used to do Brighton to London. She had to wear a gum shield when she slept cos she kept biting herself in her sleep (stress)

Sure it wasn't just teeth grinding? I don't think it's that uncommon. Biting yourself whilst asleep would be quite a thing. 

8 hours ago, Midlifemum said:

Reduce spending on other things. 75k means your take home will be 4k which seems good income to me, if rent 1k then it should be ok

Edited by suresh786

Thanks

Its anything between £1500–£1800 pcm for a 3 bed in Brighton now. We rent a 2 bed terrace for £1200 at the moment.

I think we have had enough. I like living here & have stayed because after 17 years I have lots of friends and a life here- good job, kids happy in school etc 

But ultimately my son needs his own room as he’s close to secondary age.

We genuinely feel like we are being forced out. 

My partner is too old to get a mortgage now & our deposit saving has not kept up with house price inflation as it’s pretty much lottery win territory down here now.

Its so depressing. I have always wondered how Brighton continued to defy all rational logic really as it is looking very deprived again- Parks look shabby, no investment, massive homeless and social problems but as someone commented, most of the money isn’t earnt in the city. 

6 hours ago, Fence said:

And I thought I'd heard it all on this forum.  You a troll or something?  17 years and £75k pa and you can't decently house 2 kids.  Your despair, my anger.  I would ask you to send them my way so I can dump my load on them and get off this Island but we don't have a Waitrose, etc.  What a cluster....!  

Err, no, i’m not a troll. I saved for many years to try and buy a house but have never kept up with house price inflation. I wish now that I had taken a risk 10 years ago but it seemed like prices were dangerously over inflated then in Brighton. If only I could have predicted what happened next.