House Price Crash Forum
Vested Disinterest

The illusion of a concrete Britain

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42554635

Asked how much of the UK's land area is densely built on, the average estimate was 47%. The far more accurate figure -based on satellite images - highlighted by Professor Alasdair Rae and in my blog last November - is 0.1%.

The average Briton thinks 356 times more of our nation's land is concrete jungle than is the reality.

4 minutes ago, opt_out said:

Where do they find all these people who have never looked at google earth or driven more than 50miles on a Motorway? I despair.

Tellies tell lies.

Majority still get their worldview from the #vileBBC imo

8 minutes ago, winkie said:

Trump to make Jerusalem the capital of England

No but srsly... don't want to derail us into another Br3xit thread but breaking up the UK would be a great solution and it's about time. Why shouldn't England be our own country; tired of seeing everyone else having their separatist thing but somehow we can't.

Whilst public perception is still way off, if you look at just ENGLAND (i.e. ignoring the vast Scottish highlands) it's also a lot more built up than those headline newspaper figures.

Sure 34% of the UK is just natural habitat - but almost all of that is in Scotland, with a bit in Wales.

Excluding that it's probably more like 12% built-on than 6%.

The result of very successful campaigning to protect the views from the windows of the mansions on the green belt.  The plebs pay very dearly with their time, money and health for the protection of this green space around the homes of the rich.

1 hour ago, Futuroid said:

But Britain is full init?

It's housing stock is...if it wasn't this website wouldn't exist.

43 minutes ago, Wayward said:

Full...? Or perhaps just "acquired".

My wife and I were having a chat about her sister who moved from one UK city to another for work and rented her house out. Now she is buying in the new city but going to continue renting out the original house. That juicy "money for nothing" every month she gets from her tenant is just too good to turn down! Then I had a sudden realisation, out of our close family and friends under 70 years of age, we are the only ones who only own a single property (i.e. no holiday home, no BTL, no doer-uppers).

The reason this site exists is to do with poor allocation of resources.

1 hour ago, Wayward said:

The result of very successful campaigning to protect the views from the windows of the mansions on the green belt.  The plebs pay very dearly with their time, money and health for the protection of this green space around the homes of the rich.

Exactly

It depends who you ask as to what their perception of concreting is

I can quite understand average Joe thinking its 47%

Can't understand the snidey "Well acksherlly its 0.00000000000001" comments 

12 minutes ago, fru-gal said:

If so much of it is farmland, why the hell do we have to import so much food?

Nobody is saying its efficiently used farmland. The main purpose of it is to attract subsidy. In France they made the mistake of basing pensions for retiring farmers on the amount of land they had under cultivation. A friend's neighbour was claiming all the land round my friends house was cultivated by the neighbour. Those 5ha gave him a decent pension.

18 minutes ago, fru-gal said:

That is what  would like to know.....very few vegetables, grain, pulses for humans to eat......plenty of grass for animals to eat.;)

12 minutes ago, scb said:

Because 165 acres here, how much actual farming does it look like happens there? I live within a quarter of a mile of it, I can tell you, close to none!
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-60495298.html

A nicely sized parcel of land for the avoidance of IHT?

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/agricultural-relief-on-inheritance-tax

4 hours ago, Vested Disinterest said:

Well hang on, I'm not sure where you've got 0.1% from.  That is misleading.

by Professor Alasdair Rae

I've been through the UK file on that site and added up all the man-made land uses (not including agriculture).  The total is 8.0877%. 

Over half the area is agricultural.  Peat bogs are over 9%.

Very little of it wants building on I'm afraid.

There's lots of empty and derelict zones in urban areas outside the southeast.  Move some jobs to where the people are, that is the answer.

3 hours ago, Wayward said:

The roads, railways and (inter)national health service are also hopelessly overloaded.

4 hours ago, Wayward said:

This website isn't called buildmorehouses.com

3 hours ago, chronyx said:

Exactly

It depends who you ask as to what their perception of concreting is

I can quite understand average Joe thinking its 47%

Can't understand the snidey "Well acksherlly its 0.00000000000001" comments 

People over estimate it because they live in built up area, work in built up areas and travel in roads between these so perceive everything is built on, which is confirms the narrative they hear.

The same happens if you ask people to estimate what percentage of the atmosphere is CO2.

3 hours ago, fru-gal said:

We don’t.

We ‘choose’ to import food, because that is more economically ‘efficient’. 

We also export food, although not as much obviously.

Of course, we don’t know whether it’s really efficient, because we don’t use a free market to allocate land, so people can hoard up land without paying for the trouble that causes.  It is possible that if all the golf courses and grouse moors had to be paid for, they wouldn’t be economically viable.  In a free market, that land might switch to agricultural use, or it might become residential, or it may not change at all. We probably can’t know because of https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_calculation_problem

1 hour ago, thewig said:

This website isn't called buildmorehouses.com

True...but perhaps it should be. For the very high prices we see today you need both easy credit and conditions of scarcity. Without conditions of scarcity and competitive bidding there is no mechanism for inflation.

I dont know how you expect prices to fall when we are all fighting like rats in a sack for housing , they will be as high as folks can afford just as TPTB have engineering it. Those bemoaning and objecting to more house building and more supply have fallen into their trap.

1 hour ago, BuyToLeech said:

We don’t.

We ‘choose’ to import food, because that is more economically ‘efficient’. 

We also export food, although not as much obviously.

Of course, we don’t know whether it’s really efficient, because we don’t use a free market to allocate land, so people can hoard up land without paying for the trouble that causes.  It is possible that if all the golf courses and grouse moors had to be paid for, they wouldn’t be economically viable.  In a free market, that land might switch to agricultural use, or it might become residential, or it may not change at all. We probably can’t know because of https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_calculation_problem

Even at full capacity I doubt UKs farmland could feed 70 million, it manages about 35 million currently.

Guess we could become vegan....dairy and red meat take up a hell of a lot of land for bugger all food. Gets by on subsidies....especially lamb and beef...about one cow per acre.

Edited by crashmonitor

5 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

Even at full capacity I doubt UKs farmland could feed 70 million, it manages about 35 million currently.

Guess we could become vegan....dairy and red meat take up a hell of a lot of land for bugger all food. Gets by on subsidies.

Some land isn't suitable for arable farms

Sheep and cows make the best use of that land 

It's almost like nature sorted it all out already:lol:

1 hour ago, nightowl said:

People over estimate it because they live in built up area, work in built up areas and travel in roads between these so perceive everything is built on, which is confirms the narrative they hear.

The same happens if you ask people to estimate what percentage of the atmosphere is CO2.

Ok

Based on the perceptions the planning permission regs make the most common, then 

Even London terraces used to have pretty sizeable gardens