House Price Crash Forum

Biggest annual drop in car sales since 2009

HOLA441
9 minutes ago, longgone said:

The platform MEB will be spread over the whole group seat is bringing out the el-born too same car really. Expect skoda and audi to follow too

10-15k cars a week no problem.

Martorell churn out 2100 cars a day.

Ford also bought the MEB platform I believe. 

Your average joe, looking to buy a new car but hesitant about buying an EV will be much more likely to make the jump when the badge says VW, Audi or Ford compared to Tesla. I think the demand will be astronomical. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
2 hours ago, kzb said:

If we have millions of households each drawing 7kW all night, off-peak won't be off-peak anymore.  It will be on-peak. 

5 million cars times 7kW is 35GW.  And that 5 million is a guesstimate, it could easily be 20 million.

Little of UK electric is wind/nuclear/hydro.  Most of it is gas powered.

It’s more like 10.3kw to 14kw, per two car household, which nearly every household I know of is, if not more with grown kids at home. 

Our 3 EVS charge at 7kw and 3.3kw. The 3.3kw nearly always takes 12kw per night over 4 hours. The 7kw can take anywhere from 10kw to 40kw depending how empty it arrives home. 

The National grid actually want this, it’s called “grid balancing” , it’s easier and cheaper to run the grid at 90% 24/7 than 90% daytime and 20% nighttime, especially on high wind nights when they nothing to use the wind leccy on. 

HOLA443
12 minutes ago, 2buyornot2buy said:

Ford also bought the MEB platform I believe. 

Your average joe, looking to buy a new car but hesitant about buying an EV will be much more likely to make the jump when the badge says VW, Audi or Ford compared to Tesla. I think the demand will be astronomical. 

indeed i watched video`s on the production of the cars and guys repairing them, the list prices don`t reflect on the build quality. 

tesla should stick to fast roadsters. once the big boys get going they will be finished on mass car production. 

15 minutes ago, markyh said:

All tractors , agricultural vehicles and plant will be electric by 2035 too. Where are they stealing this red diesel from? 

You can’t beat the system in a police state. Get with it, go electric. 

who says ? as long as vegetable oil is produced you can make diesel. no need for red although i`m pretty sure you will still be able to get it. 

HOLA444
7 minutes ago, longgone said:

indeed i watched video`s on the production of the cars and guys repairing them, the list prices don`t reflect on the build quality. 

tesla should stick to fast roadsters. once the big boys get going they will be finished on mass car production. 

Completely agree and why I wouldn't purchase a model 3 this year. VW have the supply chain expertise on every component. They'll have tonnes of experience setting up new production lines. They'll be setting the mass produced price point going forward.

HOLA445
7 minutes ago, longgone said:

who says ? as long as vegetable oil is produced you can make diesel. no need for red although i`m pretty sure you will still be able to get it. 

Lol. Put veg oil in your modern (post 2000) 2000 bar common rail turbodiesel and seen how quickly it implodes. You need the old slow non turbo 80’s and 90’s diesels for veg oil. And very few of those left about.

HOLA446
2 minutes ago, markyh said:

Lol. Put veg oil in your modern (post 2000) 2000 bar common rail turbodiesel and seen how quickly it implodes. You need the old slow non turbo 80’s and 90’s diesels for veg oil. And very few of those left about.

This.

So you'll be driving around in a knackered old diesel that smells like a mobile chip shop.

Thing is, people always go on about how they and things will never change. How many people were hoarding old lightbulbs for example. Now we're all running LEDs on 1/20 of the power and massively increased bulb lifespan.

Load of rubbish.

HOLA447
8 minutes ago, 2buyornot2buy said:

Completely agree and why I wouldn't purchase a model 3 this year. VW have the supply chain expertise on every component. They'll have tonnes of experience setting up new production lines. They'll be setting the mass produced price point going forward.

For the other side of that argument look at https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Automobiles/Tesla-teardown-finds-electronics-6-years-ahead-of-Toyota-and-VW2

And we know Tesla know more about battery care than Nissan do..

HOLA448
5 minutes ago, Gigantic Purple Slug said:

This.

So you'll be driving around in a knackered old diesel that smells like a mobile chip shop.

Thing is, people always go on about how they and things will never change. How many people were hoarding old lightbulbs for example. Now we're all running LEDs on 1/20 of the power and massively increased bulb lifespan.

Load of rubbish.

People were hoarding lightbulbs when the alternative was those godawful CFL ones, and they weren't being viewed at the time as a stopgap until something better came along - it's just lucky that it did. And LED lights themselves have proven something of a mixed blessing (not because of the technology itself but it's badly applied often enough, e.g. all those very glaring, harsh, very sharply defined beam pattern so they flicker and I can't imagine are that good for a driver being aware of their surroundings either headlights).

HOLA449
HOLA4410
35 minutes ago, longgone said:

I wouldn't fancy putting home made diesel in a 635d, I suspect a £10k bill wouldn't be far off.

HOLA4411
25 minutes ago, markyh said:

you do realize you can can refine veggie oil down to biodiesel that will run happily in modern diesels 

HOLA4412
2 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

I wouldn't fancy putting home made diesel in a 635d, I suspect a £10k bill wouldn't be far off.

LOL for 10k just buy another one when it goes pop.  The issue was the injectors would clog up but you can overcome those by heating the fuel up first to help viscosity. 

HOLA4413
11 minutes ago, smash said:

Does anyone know if Tesla grabs battery statistics out of the cars at the Tesla charging points?

Tesla grabs everything, GBs of data everyday. location, speed, acceleration, throttle steering position, road grip level, lane markings, cabin air quality etc. etc. 

It even knows when you are heading for a Supercharger and starts pre preparing the battery to maximise the charge rate before you get there.

HOLA4414
25 minutes ago, Houdini said:

For the other side of that argument look at https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Automobiles/Tesla-teardown-finds-electronics-6-years-ahead-of-Toyota-and-VW2

They talk about level 2 autonomous model 3. Audi already have a level 3 car. Not sure why it would take them 6 years to go back to a level 2. 

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
27 minutes ago, Houdini said:

They stuck a few ecu`s inside one unit big deal.  that`s a puff piece. 

great instead a cheaper directly located ecu you need to replace the whole unit which will only be able to be done via tesla no doubt. 

Tesla a Apple phone on wheels. 

2 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Tesla grabs everything, GBs of data everyday. location, speed, acceleration, throttle steering position, road grip level, lane markings, cabin air quality etc. etc. 

It even knows when you are heading for a Supercharger and starts pre preparing the battery to maximise the charge rate before you get there.

so ? does that improve built quality or production costs.  none of that data would sway me to buy one. 

HOLA4417
1 minute ago, 2buyornot2buy said:

They talk about level 2 autonomous model 3. Audi already have a level 3 car. Not sure why it would take them 6 years to go back to a level 2. 

Why is it that the people paid to analyse the industry keep concluding that Tesla is years ahead of anyone else. All these claims about autonomous cars are BS the reality is until you can handle all the edge cases you don't really have anything. Tesla are ahead of everyone else in this but still nowhere near truly autonomous. Although did well in the edge case below.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/tesla-autopilot-saves-familys-life-21512255

HOLA4418
12 minutes ago, longgone said:

you do realize you can can refine veggie oil down to biodiesel that will run happily in modern diesels 

Cool. An oil refinery in your back garden. Nothing impractical then. It can go between the shed and the rabbit hutch.

And the wife can be sent out to brew up another batch of diesel in the freezing cold of winter.

Or maybe you could just store it in giant barrels in the garage.

HOLA4419
1 minute ago, longgone said:

great instead a cheaper directly located ecu you need to replace the whole unit which will only be able to be done via tesla no doubt. 

So we can expect them to do as badly as Apple?

1 minute ago, longgone said:

so ? does that improve built quality or production costs.  none of that data would sway me to buy one. 

Of course data is everything. It's being used to improve range/battery life and provide the data needed to develop the full self driving

HOLA4420
9 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Of course data is everything. It's being used to improve range/battery life and provide the data needed to develop the full self driving

Oh whoopee, sounds great. More contempt to the "mind your own business" principle and all part of further rendering people irrelevant. Still, no doubt those whose idea of a great future is to be fat infantile lumps of flesh constantly under the necessary supervision of machines due to being incapable of doing anything for themselves will lap it up.

There's something seriously messed up with this technology obsession. And Tesla look well on their way to aiming to be the next Facebook or Amazon or Google.

HOLA4421
5 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

So we can expect them to do as badly as Apple?

well i would never buy an apple product ever and even if one was given free to me . 

i don`t care about self driving don`t want it don`t need it. 

i guess tesla is not for me. 

HOLA4422
7 minutes ago, Gigantic Purple Slug said:

Cool. An oil refinery in your back garden. Nothing impractical then. It can go between the shed and the rabbit hutch.

And the wife can be sent out to brew up another batch of diesel in the freezing cold of winter.

Or maybe you could just store it in giant barrels in the garage.

no i will let somone else do it and just buy it from them. 

i i don`t mean bp or shell either. 

HOLA4423
24 minutes ago, longgone said:

Not quite - it means that Tesla isn't reliant on Infineon and Bosch the way the rest of the industry is.

HOLA4424
32 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

Oh whoopee, sounds great. More contempt to the "mind your own business" principle and all part of further rendering people irrelevant. Still, no doubt those whose idea of a great future is to be fat infantile lumps of flesh constantly under the necessary supervision of machines due to being incapable of doing anything for themselves will lap it up.

There's something seriously messed up with this technology obsession. And Tesla look well on their way to aiming to be the next Facebook or Amazon or Google.

These vehicles are behavioural surplus extraction devices impersonating a car.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Age_of_Surveillance_Capitalism

HOLA4425
27 minutes ago, longgone said:

no i will let somone else do it and just buy it from them. 

i i don`t mean bp or shell either. 

You assume there will be enough demand in 2050 to make this local and viable. You may need to drive 50 miles for a fill up. 

Archived