House Price Crash Forum
juvenal

We paid off our mortgage in three years..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-42423615/early-retirement-our-road-to-financial-independence

BBC 'livin' the dream'  article fails to mention something the travellers' home page does..

http://ourtour.co.uk/home/how-we-fund-our-lifestyle-retired-at-43/

They fund the lifestyle from share dividends and rental property income!!

5 minutes ago, juvenal said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-42423615/early-retirement-our-road-to-financial-independence

BBC 'livin' the dream'  article fails to mention something the travellers' home page does..

It says they get rental income from 4 homes !

Basically born (just) pre the 1975 cut off point been haves/have nots. So no student loans to pay off and bought several houses when they were cheap.

This was engineered apparently.

4 hours ago, juvenal said:

Yeah. I called BS

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/231910-pension-modelling/&do=findComment&comment=1103324432

4 hours ago, houseface2000 said:

It says they get rental income from 4 homes !

Roll up! Roll up! Now look at what you could have had. Still time! Still time! You don't want to miss the bargain of the century now do you?

What could possibly go wrong?

A stock market which is at record peaks and can only go higher! A housing market at record affordability ratios and is destined for the moon! A jobs market with record low levels of unemployment due to zero hours contracts and other factors suppressing wages, but I am sure they can just walk back into their old jobs and demand more cash!

This sort of blatant coercion of the feckless sheeple is desperate even for the MSM and will all end in predictable fashion

2 minutes ago, Switch625 said:

Roll up! Roll up! Now look at what you could have had. Still time! Still time! You don't want to miss the bargain of the century now do you?

What could possibly go wrong?

A stock market which is at record peaks and can only go higher! A housing market at record affordability ratios and is destined for the moon! A jobs market with record low levels of unemployment due to zero hours contracts and other factors suppressing wages, but I am sure they can just walk back into their old jobs and demand more cash!

This sort of blatant coercion of the feckless sheeple is desperate even for the MSM and will all end in predictable fashion

For this couple? Higher moeprtgage cost. S24 tax preventing offsetting of mortgage cost before deckaring income.

My bitch on this is, rather than being FI, its financial lunacy.

Fair point Spy,

Totally agree, getting yourself saddled with humongous debt has been the only the game in town for decades as far as I can see. But ever the optimist, I think its just a mater of time before those indebted sheeple are ready to sheer and hark I think I hear the trimmers starting up!

16 hours ago, Si1 said:

Basically born (just) pre the 1975 cut off point been haves/have nots. So no student loans to pay off and bought several houses when they were cheap.

This was engineered apparently.

A little bit more complex than that, a friend who was born in 72 didn't have enough money to buy in 94 so decided to stay at home and save - she is still there.  Fortunately she can live at home, but it is a bit unfair.  If she had met someone in 94 or had a little bit more money she would have sorted.

Saying that it is an awful state of affairs

Edited by iamnumerate

1 minute ago, stop_the_craziness said:

More MSM house-related nonsense today...The raffles are back!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/mortgageshome/article-5229793/Would-raffle-home.html

On the current transaction rate, raffles are not going away until they are made illegal.

Missed out a Top Tip for Sellers:

- Lower the price.

'Renu Qadri, 49, a former antiques dealer, wants to move to a smaller property because she can longer work and is struggling to pay the mortgage. She tried to sell her five-bedroom flat in Blackheath, South- East London, through an estate agent for £1.3 million but got only one viewing in six months.

She tried lowering her asking price by £50,000 but still had no offers. So after reading about other sellers raffling their homes, Renu decided to give it a try in May last year. She had hoped to raise £2.5million by selling 500,000 tickets at £5 each. This would cover her asking price, legal and administration costs and leave some cash for charity.'

So, knocking 5% off the inflated price did not get punters in. Try 20%.
Googling, its gets more interesting:
Bought 3 years ago, using HTB, 300k cash paid down.

'A £1.3million five-bedroom house is being raffled off for just £5 a ticket because the owner is struggling to pay the mortgage due to her disability.

Renu Qadri, who suffers from the skin condition of psoriasis, decided to raffle the furnished family property in Blackheath, South East London, after living in it for 20 years, for 'somebody else to enjoy it'.

The mother-of-five said there are too many stairs for her to climb because of her condition - which causes red, flaky, crusty patches of skin covered with silvery scales - and she can't work as much now to afford to live there.'

Crooked bent benefit bint.

They don't have kids either. They thought about it and decided it 'wasn't for us', presumably it gets in the way of them sitting around all day, taking the dog for a walk and bragging about their early retirement on social media.

By virtue of their BTL's they are preventing others from having kids and also not having an of their own. No wonder the birth rate amongst the middle classes is collapsing.

Even if everything goes well for them financially, they are destined for a miserable old age. I wonder how many people will come to visit them on their death bed?

Yeah. I commented on the kids thing.

They thought bout but the bloke did not fancy having to work to pay for nappies rather than toys. And Mrs would have been off work, whilst he had to carry on working.

So he decided it was not for them - hence his partners depression no doubt.

I doubbt theyll be together when they are 50.