Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum
TheCountOfNowhere

What/who will collapse first in 2018

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, chronyx said:

bog roll is bog roll.

Nay and thrice nay. I was in charge of bog roll and family just assumed Costco (Velvet or Kirkland depending what's on offer) was normal. Post divorce when they bought their own whatever bog roll was available at co-op the kids went nuts, it's too scratchy etc. Costco FTW.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

Nay and thrice nay. I was in charge of bog roll and family just assumed Costco (Velvet or Kirkland depending what's on offer) was normal. Post divorce when they bought their own whatever bog roll was available at co-op the kids went nuts, it's too scratchy etc. Costco FTW.

I do have enough Costco stuff to last the rest of the rear, i mean year, so yes agreed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, chronyx said:

I do have enough Costco stuff to last the rest of the rear, i mean year, so yes agreed

Yup I have enough kitchen towels, bog rolls, toothpaste, soap, dental floss, razor blades etc to keep the Army going for the remainder of the year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Fishfinger said:

Yup I have enough kitchen towels, bog rolls, toothpaste, soap, dental floss, razor blades etc to keep the Army going for the remainder of the year.

Dental floss!.......use grass.😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, winkie said:

Dental floss!.......use grass.😉

Proper PTFE tape floss can also be used for minor leaks around taps and joints😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎28‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 21:36, Fishfinger said:

Proper PTFE tape floss can also be used for minor leaks around taps and joints😉

PTFE = Pipe Tape For Ecowarriors? ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gaucho Grill on their way out.

WHo'd have thought that an Argentine themed eatery would go the same way as Argentina?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Gaucho Grill on their way out.

WHo'd have thought that an Argentine themed eatery would go the same way as Argentina?

Had a rarity value when it opened, but became tatty. Middling food (compared to Hawksmoor or Goodman) for high prices. No surprise whatsoever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Shrink Proof said:

There it goes. I expect Mike Ashley will be picking up bits of the business?

edit- interesting that there was what I make an opening move in the Intu Plc, Sports Direct, and Debenhams share price at open (not looked at the volumes).

Edited by Ash4781

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Card Factory seems to be going down the sh1tter.

Weak pound, forcing up import prices.

No longer loads of cheap lease deals, full price comes due.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, spyguy said:

Card Factory seems to be going down the sh1tter.

Weak pound, forcing up import prices.

No longer loads of cheap lease deals, full price comes due.

 

Yeah I was looking at their accounts yesterday. I didn’t like the look of their cashflow statement. Their balance sheet wasn’t great either. I couldn’t understand why they were expanding ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Ash4781 said:

Yeah I was looking at their accounts yesterday. I didn’t like the look of their cashflow statement. Their balance sheet wasn’t great either. I couldn’t understand why they were expanding ?

Chasing pennies with pounds.

Its a junk compnay.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Listed ~5 years ago.

PE backed junk.

Expanded massively, taking on places with discounted/free rents for a few year.

Now on full whack, increasing rents, low margin single product.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, spyguy said:

Card Factory seems to be going down the sh1tter.

Weak pound, forcing up import prices.

No longer loads of cheap lease deals, full price comes due.

 

Thats a pity. Woukd much rather see those shysters at Clinton's go under. 

£2.50 for a birthday card? GTF. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

Thats a pity. Woukd much rather see those shysters at Clinton's go under. 

£2.50 for a birthday card? GTF. 

It has, a few years ago.

Both very strange companies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ash4781 said:

There it goes. I expect Mike Ashley will be picking up bits of the business?

edit- interesting that there was what I make an opening move in the Intu Plc, Sports Direct, and Debenhams share price at open (not looked at the volumes).

House of Debenhams it is then? 

I dont see what Ashley will do with Frasers. His strategy at sports direct has been to buy brand names cheap (Gelert, Kangol, Dunlop, Donnay,  etc) and then badge up cheap Chinese tag with those names. You can but the same crappy polyester polo shirt with any of those brand names stitched badly to the front.

Bearing in mind how they asset stripped USC I can see similar happening to Frasers. Strip Frasers of its premium locations and brands, quietly pass them to Debenhams then let Frasers fail? Could be the plan. 

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/dec/11/revealed-how-sports-direct-stripped-usc-assets-before-it-collapsed

"Sports Direct, the FTSE 100 retailing giant controlled by the billionaire Mike Ashley, stripped prime assets out of its stricken USC fashion subsidiary in the weeks before the chain collapsed, an investigation by the Guardian can reveal.

The demise of USC, which was controversially bought straight out of administration by another arm of Sports Direct in January, led to about 200 workers being given just 15 minutes’ warning that they were to lose their jobs.

The episode has since seen Sports Direct’s chief executive, David Forsey, charged with a criminal offence for allegedly failing to give the 30 days’ notice required for redundancies under employment law. Forsey denies the charge. Meanwhile, Ashley has been accused of using “disgraceful and unlawful employment practices” during the incident.

The company was branded a “scar on British business” by the Institute of Directors, and was criticised by some of its own shareholders. Opposition MPs demanded the company be investigated by HMRC."

Meanwhile, one insider with direct knowledge of USC told the Guardian that Sports Direct had been transferring leases out of USC and into Republic for months, if not years.

He said that landlords who were prepared to renegotiate leases with USC saw their stores transferred out of USC and into Republic, while those who resisted Sports Direct’s efforts to get better terms were left inside USC. “If a landlord played ball they were OK,” he said. “You don’t win against Mike [Ashley].”

Edited by regprentice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Intu (edit - commercial real estate with significant U.K. shopping centre exposure) share price down again. Look at that trend !  Last time saw they were trading at a discount to net asset value. Might have a look at the gearing and see who the lenders are. Edit: I imagine lenders will be scouting these centres.83120168-BCEB-44E4-BECA-DA2C1376038D.thumb.jpeg.b2a49d8dec2fff330d750779343c031f.jpeg

Edited by Ash4781

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, regprentice said:

House of Debenhams it is then? 

I dont see what Ashley will do with Frasers. His strategy at sports direct has been to buy brand names cheap (Gelert, Kangol, Dunlop, Donnay,  etc) and then badge up cheap Chinese tag with those names. You can but the same crappy polyester polo shirt with any of those brand names stitched badly to the front.

Agreed - pretty much everything in Sports Direct looks like cheap crap independent of what brand they printed on it. 

Don';t get me wrong, I am a cheapskate (or frugal, as some say here), but I just don't see how they will work with HoF.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ash4781 said:

Intu (edit - commercial real estate with significant U.K. shopping centre exposure) share price down again. Look at that trend !  Last time saw they were trading at a discount to net asset value. Might have a look at the gearing and see who the lenders are. Edit: I imagine lenders will be scouting these centres.

Intu was mentioned on the Deflationary Collapse/Reflation thread back in November 2017.

Share-price was 202p on that day, bounced a bit after, but 169.95 current by your chart.   I don't hold any view on it.

Quote

I was looking at Intu the owner of most of the big shopping malls.£5 billion of debt.Net interest is about half the operating profit.Supposed net assets of £5 billion would make them around 30%/40% undervalued.However in a reflation can they push rents up quicker than their interest rate bill will be going up?.Add on a refinance if asset prices fall 30%.A company that might be cheap,or might end up being owned by the bond holders with zero left for the equity.?

and more on that page of thread.

Journalist recently told her story of Binns (HoF) in Middlesbrough closing, and telling of some regret.  How her Mum took her there as a young girl to shop on special occasions.  She wrote a lot about the wonderful building that by itself drew in people to the area just to look upon it.   Elsewhere I read the staircase itself took 11 weeks to build and put together.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Bank of England Base Rate   291 members have voted

    1. 1. What do you predict the Bank of England base rate to be at the end of 2018?


      • .25% or lower
      • .5%
      • .75%
      • 1% or higher

    Please sign in or register to vote in this poll. View topic


×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.