• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

There could quite likely be an example of each one on the list will go bust... but it won't make a jot of difference, our zombie economy and fake employment levels will just keep on trundling along on the life support machine that is cheap debt and "in work" benefits.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
3 minutes ago, MattW said:

I don't know WH Smith carries on...

...my local one ( I think - haven't set foot in one for about 3 years) now plays home to the main Post Office. Maybe that's how they're carrying on.

They have all the railway stations cornered, and I remember reading they don't have much (or any) debt, so they could be quite robust. What's amazing is that anyone shops there with the prices they charge, but observation suggests lots do...

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
14 minutes ago, MattW said:

I don't know WH Smith carries on...

...my local one ( I think - haven't set foot in one for about 3 years) now plays home to the main Post Office. Maybe that's how they're carrying on.

Their Travel Stores are doing well, and share price up almost 50% during 2017:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/12/16/questor-remarkable-turnaround-wh-smith-travel-shops-help-share/

I only go in to browse the magazines, in my town centre store.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
1 hour ago, Ash4781 said:

Good grief. Another Enron ?

Nope.

Enron was a massive fraud fone in full sight of the brightest and highest paid pros in the US.

Stienhoff is a funny little company, run in SA and probably uses a little old lady for its books.

HOLA4414
3 hours ago, onlooker said:

Their Travel Stores are doing well, and share price up almost 50% during 2017:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/12/16/questor-remarkable-turnaround-wh-smith-travel-shops-help-share/

I only go in to browse the magazines, in my town centre store.

At airports they seem to be under pressure. Edinburgh now has a superdrug and a boots...while wh smith is charging extortionate prices for food and drink these two shops are pretty much selling at high street prices. Superdrug in particular is dirt cheap.

Cant see why WH Smith would continue to make a profit against that competition.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

It will be letters "YONE" at the end of "EVERYONE" dropping next Tory conference to say "BUILDING A COUNTRY THAT WORKS FOR EVER".

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/video/2017/oct/04/tory-conference-letter-f-falls-off-slogan-behind-theresa-may-video

As in working well into your 70's and beyond for your land owning rentier spiv. The F dropping was just a test.

HOLA4418
40 minutes ago, regprentice said:

At airports they seem to be under pressure. Edinburgh now has a superdrug and a boots...while wh smith is charging extortionate prices for food and drink these two shops are pretty much selling at high street prices. Superdrug in particular is dirt cheap.

Cant see why WH Smith would continue to make a profit against that competition.

Indeed 2x 500ml bottles of evian was advertised as being a bargain at 3.50 at Gatwick last time I set foot in one. Taking full advantage of the liquid ban.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Yeah what about some food and beverage chains.  Don't have any knowledge of the area tbh but if there is a kind of downturn and pennies start getting pinched one would think there could be casualties?  Wagamana?  Again no knowledge but struck me as expensive for a bowl of noodles, welcome to be corrected

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
13 minutes ago, thewig said:

my understanding was wagamama was seen as good value / cheap and cheerful?

Yeah, it's called casual dining, in the middle between McDonald's and a proper restaurant (maybe I am a cheap skate, but the prices don't seem that casual to me!!)

In this area I reckon one of the posh burger chains could go down, I have heard Byron is doing badly.

HOLA4424
8 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

My wife spent a record stupid amount of money this year, I am considering divorce.

I know your pain.. I hit the roof when the kids opened Father Christmas presents! Apparently I’m the bad person for being angry.. 

I save like mad.. the wife spends like a complete moron! My kids have school shoes, running shoes, PE shoes, wellies, boots, 4 different coats.. and gilets.. coats with no arms.. who ffs buys coats with no arms.. I would take it back.. it’s broken! 

I blame the schools.. they talk at the school gate you know.. I spoke to my misses mates husband.. sounds like they compare notes on wasting money.. he said his ones just as bad!

im getting her stuffed and mounted above my new fireplace which I would be able to afford if I got rid of her! 

HOLA4425
6 hours ago, onlooker said:

The local council is painting more double yellow lines, and selling residents full day parking permits for short term roadside parking,

£11 for 4 hours parking in Brighton.. it used to be free when I was a lad.. so won’t be driving there again.. funnily enough it used to be nicer as well.. 

more of a dump, but costs a fortune.. sign of the state of the country as a whole..