House Price Crash Forum
Saving For a Space Ship

Over 11,000 homes have stood empty for at least 10 years

Over 11,000 homes have stood empty for at least 10 years

Lib Dem research finds just one in 13 councils in England and Wales used powers to take over properties lying empty despite housing crisis and rising homelessness

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/jan/01/over-11000-homes-have-stood-empty-for-at-least-10-years-data-shows

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

In the road behind my Dad there is a 3 Bedroom Semi that has been empty for about 20- 25 years. It was left to the only daughter of the couple who died. She lives a few miles away in another 3 bed Semi ( on her own divorced) she refuses to sell it saying that it was her family home. The place is now very dilapidated and I noticed over Christmas that some of the side windows have fallen out so the elements now have access to the inside. 

About a mile away while parking the car one day just off the high street I noticed a small clump of bushes at the end of the street I was parking in . On closer inspection I realised that there was a detached bungalow behind these bushes the bushes was the front garden that was completely overran this  property must have been empty for decades. 

I have seen other houses like this while out walking in the area . This is an outer London suburb and these places would be £500k + in good condition , what a waste. 

3 hours ago, Insane said:

In the road behind my Dad there is a 3 Bedroom Semi that has been empty for about 20- 25 years. It was left to the only daughter of the couple who died. She lives a few miles away in another 3 bed Semi ( on her own divorced) she refuses to sell it saying that it was her family home. The place is now very dilapidated and I noticed over Christmas that some of the side windows have fallen out so the elements now have access to the inside. 

About a mile away while parking the car one day just off the high street I noticed a small clump of bushes at the end of the street I was parking in . On closer inspection I realised that there was a detached bungalow behind these bushes the bushes was the front garden that was completely overran this  property must have been empty for decades. 

I have seen other houses like this while out walking in the area . This is an outer London suburb and these places would be £500k + in good condition , what a waste. 

nothing new i have seen houses like that all over the place.  i found one like that in isleworth 15 years ago, contacted the council to try and obtain it an it turned out a council official bought it for a song, typical inside scam. 

only way is to track the owner down and approach them direct and tell no one. 

My uncle owns 3 empty houses and rents a 4th one to live in!  The 3 'empty' houses are filled floor to ceiling with possessions, a combination of brand new stuff still in it's wrappings and also piles of rubbish.

The 3 houses are worth around £250k each and yet he's quite happy to leave them rotting and unoccupied, nothing more than storage units for his hoarded crap.

I suspect at least one of the houses is very likely to have the LA take possession of it following multiple complaints over many years from neighbours about the state it's in, he's already had letters from the LA threatening to do this.

And all this whilst he has a number of younger relatives all stuck renting with no chance of ever being able to save up enough of a deposit to ever buy somewhere. He could sell just one of the houses and give his young relatives £50k each which would completely transform their lives.

And Boomers wonder why they're despised.

2 hours ago, nome said:

My uncle owns 3 empty houses and rents a 4th one to live in!  The 3 'empty' houses are filled floor to ceiling with possessions, a combination of brand new stuff still in it's wrappings and also piles of rubbish.

The 3 houses are worth around £250k each and yet he's quite happy to leave them rotting and unoccupied, nothing more than storage units for his hoarded crap.

I suspect at least one of the houses is very likely to have the LA take possession of it following multiple complaints over many years from neighbours about the state it's in, he's already had letters from the LA threatening to do this.

And all this whilst he has a number of younger relatives all stuck renting with no chance of ever being able to save up enough of a deposit to ever buy somewhere. He could sell just one of the houses and give his young relatives £50k each which would completely transform their lives.

Or he could borrow on these and use the monies as a deposit to get more?. Be a proper boomer. 

2 hours ago, nome said:

It's not just boomers. On the street I live on there are two empty properties owned by the same old fella (in his 80s by now). Not sure how he came by them - possibly inheritance - but they have been empty as long as I've lived in the street (11yrs) and now one is starting to fall into serious disrepair. Which is probably a bit of a concern to the immediate neighbours as it's a terraced house.

The quicker the UK gets LVT, the quicker this kind of craziness can end.

12 hours ago, hughjass said:

Its a bit rich Vince Cable moaning,why didn't he get it sorted when he was in the government?

32 minutes ago, Futuroid said:

It's not just boomers. On the street I live on there are two empty properties owned by the same old fella (in his 80s by now). 

Vince is joke, and he has taken his Party there.

12 hours ago, Insane said:

How do you know that it is empty?  I thought a house nearby to me was empty but there is a very strange person living it, despite the windows being broken for years.

I think sometimes its down to old people not knowing what to do with them.I know a lad with learning difficulties and all he does is walk his dog like he is marching in an army and look at the floor.His mother left him her house and he lives in it,but then his auntie died and he was left hers.I simply think he has no idea what to do with it,or even that he can sell it.He probably hasnt even told the DHSS he owns it.I wouldnt trust the council dealing with this.They will tip off mates that a cheap house is coming up etc.It is a huge problem though,bigger than people think.

2 minutes ago, durhamborn said:

I think sometimes its down to old people not knowing what to do with them.I know a lad with learning difficulties and all he does is walk his dog like he is marching in an army and look at the floor.His mother left him her house and he lives in it,but then his auntie died and he was left hers.I simply think he has no idea what to do with it,or even that he can sell it.He probably hasnt even told the DHSS he owns it.I wouldnt trust the council dealing with this.They will tip off mates that a cheap house is coming up etc.It is a huge problem though,bigger than people think.

Particularly when the govt has rigged the market so people feel you can't go wrong with bricks and mortar.

11 hours ago, longgone said:

nothing new i have seen houses like that all over the place.  i found one like that in isleworth 15 years ago, contacted the council to try and obtain it an it turned out a council official bought it for a song, typical inside scam. 

only way is to track the owner down and approach them direct and tell no one. 

Same thing happened to me. Wonder how easy it is to track down the real owner.....

11 hours ago, Slimline said:

Same thing happened to me. Wonder how easy it is to track down the real owner.....

Not that hard I was young and stupid then.

13 hours ago, iamnumerate said:

How do you know that it is empty?  I thought a house nearby to me was empty but there is a very strange person living it, despite the windows being broken for years.

To be honest I am not 100% sure that it is empty. However if someone was living in it they would have a problem getting in and out as the thick bushes are right up to and across the front door. 

11 hours ago, Insane said:

To be honest I am not 100% sure that it is empty. However if someone was living in it they would have a problem getting in and out as the thick bushes are right up to and across the front door. 

I know a house like that and there is - according to the neighbours - someone there.  I feel sorry for them because they must have some mental problem.