House Price Crash Forum
Big Bird

No political party wants a property crash on their watch!

Having rented a 2 bed House in the past (approx 7 years ago) I now find that my salary (and I haven’t had a pay rise in quite a few years - in fact my pay HAS NOT gone up in line with inflation so effectively I’ve had a pay cut!) will now just about cover a ROOM instead!!! 

My question is when will the tide start to turn? When will prices actually fall? I’m really cheesed off with the whole housing situation in the UK. All the main political parties have let the house prices rise and have ALL just stoked it up instead with Help to buy, rather than actually REDUCED PRICES.

It all seems such a mess, started with Thatcher getting rid of council houses, Blair stoking up the house prices, and the Toriescardui g on with more of the same - no patty wants a house price crash on their watch. 

Grrrrr - rant over.

BB

This is all my opinion.

I think a HPC will be the result of something else, external to the UK PLC ecconomy, but connected to. China going bust is my favourite at the mo.

I dont think S24 etc is going to be big or soon enough to cause it. Yes it will be a problem for BTLers, but i think it will take ages to fully wash out, and by then a full warp speed HPC will be in play.

Either way, for each year it doesnt happen, and HPI pushes the prices beyond wage inflation, the harder the crash will have to be to correct fully

No party can afford a house price crash - the whole economy is based on the housing market - they are too fearful of losing votes as which ever party was in power would be vilified by the oppo

there has been some slight fall in prices during 2017 but certainly not enough to make them significantly affordable for most people 

John Major had the '89-early 90s HPC on his watch, he won a majority at the 1992 general election in the middle of it. And this at a time when a much higher proportion of the population were mortgaged homeowners.

Moral of the story is an HPC doesn't mean instant death at the next election for the incumbent party.

On 15/08/2018 at 21:46, Dorkins said:

John Major had the '89-early 90s HPC on his watch, he won a majority at the 1992 general election in the middle of it. And this at a time when a much higher proportion of the population were mortgaged homeowners.

Moral of the story is an HPC doesn't mean instant death at the next election for the incumbent party.

He did lose a lot of seats and Kinnock didn't campaign that well.

If I were a strategist for a political party - this would not convince me.

I am not saying that you are wrong, just not so right that it would convince everyone.

Edited by iamnumerate

I missed this thread but I tend to agree with Big Birds view.  I am of the opinion that most of our fellow citizens are stupid and will vote for higher prices for housing; everything else is secondary. 

4 hours ago, dougless said:

I missed this thread but I tend to agree with Big Birds view.  I am of the opinion that most of our fellow citizens are stupid and will vote for higher prices for housing; everything else is secondary. 

The funny thing is that HPI only benefits a) people with one or more homes than children or b) people who like to think that they are living in a home that their children can't afford.

a) is quite rare and I hope (b) is to.