House Price Crash Forum
Fletcher

Number of Londoners abandoning capital hits 10-year high

How do you define a 'Londoner' anyway - nearly half of London residents were born outside the UK and even fewer of the remainder were born in the capital.

If residency is all that counts then when you leave London you cease to be a Londoner surely? If it's being born, schooled and bred there that makes you a Londoner that's another matter.

Also who are these Londoners and why would they be causing any more social tensions than someone moving from Norfolk or Devon to a new place?

Edited by MARTINX9

7 hours ago, MARTINX9 said:

How do you define a 'Londoner' anyway - nearly half of London residents were born outside the UK and even fewer of the remainder were born in the capital.

If residency is all that counts then when you leave London you cease to be a Londoner surely? If it's being born, schooled and bred there that makes you a Londoner that's another matter.

Also who are these Londoners and why would they be causing any more social tensions than someone moving from Norfolk or Devon to a new place?

Surely that is obvious.

In my postcode NR2/NR4 the average household earns 60k.  A 90m2 terrace is about 300K and any half decent home is now 450k+

Oh and do not worry they go all the way to 1.2 million with lots at 500 - 600 and 800 etc etc

The majority of well paid jobs are either in the council, university or the hospital.....buy far and the old employers seem to be downsizing and outsourcing with the large offices being turned into student flats.

The best paid job I can see at the moment is 150k for a GP and I am actually surprised at the lack of jobs advertised.  Even a consultant cardiologist "only" gets 80-100k here.

It would not be inaccurate to say you could come visit and find more houses for sale for over 400k than jobs over 40k.

Therin lies the tension as people do not mind anyone coming and getting a job its just London folk sell their hovels or silly money to come and overpay here.

"im waiting for the a londoner" is a common line when you house hunt here.

The funny thing is that rather economise and bank a wedge + the cheaper house many have leveraged up to the max which I find nuts.

Recently it has slowed dramatically over 500K in line with the news from London and its looking a bit desperate with vendors holding on for dear life at prices which much be 30% higher than locals done good can afford.

At the other end you also have the issue of foreigners specifically ones whom have obviously been moved here.  With locals having massive affordability issues and being mostly white it is obvious when poor asian and middle eastern families suddenly appear and start wondering about with northing to do.  

That also makes people worried when applications go in for housing (nimby Max here) will it go to local youngsters or will it go to folks imported from other areas of the UK and leaving the local youngsters still shafted.

Edited by Fromage Frais

9 hours ago, MARTINX9 said:

How do you define a 'Londoner' anyway

A rich globalist who doesn't believe in Britain as a nation?

Migrating Londoners will do to Britain what California is doing to America, and Ontario is doing to Canada.

Edited by MarkG

6 minutes ago, MarkG said:

A rich globalist who doesn't believe in Britain as a nation?

Migrating Londoners will do to Britain what California is doing to America, and Ontario is doing to Canada.

Says the ex-pat in Canada :lol:

Irony much?

6 hours ago, knock out johnny said:

Says the ex-pat in Canada :lol:

Irony much?

I'm way more Canadian than most of the Brits I know here, though I've yet to buy an SKS[1] or shoot a wild animal and stick its head on my wall.

Most of all, though, I don't try to tell them what to do. I certainly wouldn't try to bring over all the same old crap that has wrecked Britain.

And I'm firmly in favour of Western Canada seceding and building a wall before the Liberals fleeing the policies they've imposed on Ontario flood us.

Edit: But, yeah, I also firmly agree that Canada should cut off all immigration from the UK. And pretty much everywhere else, for that matter. And if they tell me I 'have to go back', I will. But I doubt that's going to happen, because I'm far more Canadian than an Ontario Liberal. The Prairie-dwellers would ship all them home before they asked me to leave.

And after seeing some post-election Facebook posts from friends who moved to America on H1B visas years ago, I'd say America should cut off all immigration from the UK, too. They have plenty enough SJWs of their own, and don't need to import any more.

Edit2: I would also argue that Britain would have been much better off if emigration had been much more difficult and prevented the Brain Drain. If we couldn't have moved to countries that better suited us, we'd have to have worked to make Britain a better place, instead. It's become a seventy year eugenics experiment where a large fraction of the smartest kids are removed from every generation, and I think that explains many of its problems today.

[1] But I did look at them in the Boxing Day sales.

Edited by MarkG

12 hours ago, knock out johnny said:

Yep cashing in and buying more for less further out - deflating prices in the capital and inflating prices outside of it

I doubt many of them are owners, still kite flying prices and low transactions in London.

Brighton and Bristol are strange choices. Bristol has gone up massively in the last five years and Brighton has always been expensive with little jobs and awful rail links that cost £50 for a day peak return.

4 minutes ago, stuckin2up2down said:

I doubt many of them are owners, still kite flying prices and low transactions in London.

Brighton and Bristol are strange choices. Bristol has gone up massively in the last five years and Brighton has always been expensive with little jobs and awful rail links that cost £50 for a day peak return.

Maybe they are not moving because of the house prices.. my friend lived in north east London, he moved because of safety concerns.. he has had a baby (well his wife has)  and did not want to raise a child in stab/acid attack/rape central.. so moved to Horsham.. 

1 hour ago, macca13 said:

Maybe they are not moving because of the house prices.. my friend lived in north east London, he moved because of safety concerns.. he has had a baby (well his wife has)  and did not want to raise a child in stab/acid attack/rape central.. so moved to Horsham.. 

I reckon both.

Woodford & Wanstead are just as safe as Horsham (see crime stats).

What you do get with Horsham is a lack of dangerous nearby locations for your teenage kids to wander into. However they will be BORED STIFF. Lived there 83-85 and it's frightening how unchanged it is due to Nimbys & retired officers pouncing on anything not 'in keeping' 

12 hours ago, MarkG said:

I'm way more Canadian than most of the Brits I know here, though I've yet to buy an SKS[1] or shoot a wild animal and stick its head on my wall.

Most of all, though, I don't try to tell them what to do. I certainly wouldn't try to bring over all the same old crap that has wrecked Britain.

And I'm firmly in favour of Western Canada seceding and building a wall before the Liberals fleeing the policies they've imposed on Ontario flood us.

Edit: But, yeah, I also firmly agree that Canada should cut off all immigration from the UK. And pretty much everywhere else, for that matter. And if they tell me I 'have to go back', I will. But I doubt that's going to happen, because I'm far more Canadian than an Ontario Liberal. The Prairie-dwellers would ship all them home before they asked me to leave.

And after seeing some post-election Facebook posts from friends who moved to America on H1B visas years ago, I'd say America should cut off all immigration from the UK, too. They have plenty enough SJWs of their own, and don't need to import any more.

Edit2: I would also argue that Britain would have been much better off if emigration had been much more difficult and prevented the Brain Drain. If we couldn't have moved to countries that better suited us, we'd have to have worked to make Britain a better place, instead. It's become a seventy year eugenics experiment where a large fraction of the smartest kids are removed from every generation, and I think that explains many of its problems today.

Laughable. The entire post that is

You're not canadian but would like to see the country split

You take your political lead from facebook

Every problem is down to sjws

You'd like to greatly curtail emigration. You're in the wrong country - Try North Korea

Wyou do realise we're in the 21st century?

11 hours ago, hotblack42 said:

I reckon both.

Woodford & Wanstead are just as safe as Horsham (see crime stats).

What you do get with Horsham is a lack of dangerous nearby locations for your teenage kids to wander into. However they will be BORED STIFF. Lived there 83-85 and it's frightening how unchanged it is due to Nimbys & retired officers pouncing on anything not 'in keeping' 

Wanstead gets acid attacks too now - it isn't the posh suburb it once was. Horsham may be dull but you don't need to worry about risking life changing facial disfigurement on your walk home.

http://www.ilfordrecorder.co.uk/news/crime-court/police-launch-manhunt-after-acid-sprayed-in-teenagers-faces-in-wanstead-high-street-1-5098743

8 hours ago, knock out johnny said:

Laughable. 

You'd like to greatly curtail emigration. You're in the wrong country - Try North Korea

Wyou do realise we're in the 21st century?

KOJ,

Do keep up,

Times they are a'changin

On 30/12/2017 at 11:53 AM, maverick73 said:

less renters, means more houses re-entering the market for sale ;)

Or re-entering the houses for rent / thereby increasing competition and driving down rental prices...hopefully

just love it when a house to let is vacant for over a month - means that the landlord has to pay the mortgage himself - hah! Anything to screw their yield ;-)

11 hours ago, MARTINX9 said:

Wanstead gets acid attacks too now - it isn't the posh suburb it once was. Horsham may be dull but you don't need to worry about risking life changing facial disfigurement on your walk home.

http://www.ilfordrecorder.co.uk/news/crime-court/police-launch-manhunt-after-acid-sprayed-in-teenagers-faces-in-wanstead-high-street-1-5098743

Vs murder, attempted murder, hit  run death & face stabbings in Horsham 2014-17?

It's not possible to eliminate the risk of violence, but it can be mitigated, by moving from above average crime locations & also being honest with your family & yourself about the risks of poor choices of time & place

Britain / London not violent by comparison with say Miami or South central L.A., but nowhere is 100% safe.

......the thing is, the people may well move, to new places here there and all over the world, but that doesn't mean they will sell what they own and have lived in and paid for all the years whilst working there, some might rent it out to children, to family who need a place near their work, a bolt hole to visit at any time......;)

....London has always been edgy, like most large cities......made up of the mega wealthy mixed in with the poor, turn the street corner and the whole dynamic changes, part of the pull of the place.......nobody could be wealthy without the poor, the poor require the wealthy to survive......;)

Once London just used to exist, get on with it, do what can to get by, cheap places to live and work......now London is what seems like another commodity, great fireworks, great parade, great shopping, best place to be, fantastic shows, brilliant shopping, Olympics, big wheel.....best jobs in UK, best place to be, best place to live......once it was just London, now the whole world wants a piece of it.......they call it progress.;)

On 31/12/2017 at 3:48 AM, MarkG said:

Is it just me that reads this and feels like I'm living in the twilight zone? 

I wouldn't even know where to start trying to argue against this. Too far gone.