House Price Crash Forum
jimmy2x3

housing associations just another scam

Living in the highlands there are half a dozen housing associations and of course the council itself. these associations have been promoted as the fix for the housing shortage. alas looking at them they are nothing more than self serving crooks. for a start they charge a rent vastly more than the council does and that rent is little less than a private landlord would charge, yet these people get grants and government largess to build their homes. with increasing yearly rents there is now a situation where in mny towns the HA rental costs are beyond the areas private rental costs. on top of this they charge service charges that would make your eyes bleed. For instance in a culdesac i know of the service charge is £6.20 a month on top of the rent, this charge is to pay for cutting the grass and maintenance of the grounds. as there are 48 properties within this culdesac with a bit of maths thats £3521 a year.   so what do the residents get for this money. well their are 3 areas of grass they have no plants or flowers and just one tree thats never been touched. 4 times a year a pick up comes around for an hour and they cut the grass and move on down to the next culdesac. this takes about 1 hour, actually proabably less.  so with 3 guys in the van that works out a maximum 12 hours work a year for a service charge of £3520   which works out at an hourly rate of just under £300 hourly rate per gardener who i know is personally paid £8.60 hr and this is supposed to be a third sector charity. the rent is also over £100 more a month than the council charge, but the council charge this £100 a month less for a house than the HA do for a flat. looking a bit further into it ive seen that they are on very very good wages all that run these schemes. so much so that a local one with 1000 homes the wages of the 3 top earners takes over 10% on the rent in wages, no doubt the same in expenses. A few years ago the council here had a vote of local council house tenents to move over to be run by a housing asociation, the tenenets refused and voted to stay with the council, i bet every single one of them are glad of that decision today. 

So my post is really that HA are not the answer i believe some kind of mass build of part ownership is whats needed. but a system where the tenent can purchase in say 1% amounts. not 25% and not inflated prices to begin with which is what i see in nearly all part ownership homes, they are charging much more than the house would make on the open market. we need a system where people can pay a bit here and there out of their wages not out of bank loans. not enriching bankers, but an easier and cheaper system if we leave this up to HA to build us all the houes your just going to end up with swapping one landlord for another just as bad. 

thanks jimmy......

We also had to fight against privatisation a few years ago.....went the day well.

So, we are still council tenants AND our rents go down 1 % per year. Yay.

46 minutes ago, council dweller said:

thanks jimmy......

We also had to fight against privatisation a few years ago.....went the day well.

So, we are still council tenants AND our rents go down 1 % per year. Yay.

Glad you're doing well Mr Dweller. ohisashiburi

Edited by christhpc

These lot are self serving entities that seem to love paying themselves more than the Prime minister.

Sound like a bunch of robdogs that are doing everything to keep themselves on the gravy train.

You got to admit, love him or hate him.. if Corbyn is as anti greed/banks as he makes out it would be interesting to see what he changed! 

Like he said, of course the banks are worried about me gaining power! Cr@ping themselves! 

On 28/12/2017 at 8:46 PM, council dweller said:

Hello Jimmy....

and yoi otoshio or however you spell it !

I think you'll find that it's 'happii nyu yia'

Housing Associations, Shared Ownership, Help To Buy - its all part of the same con.  I have had my suspicions about Housing Associations for years so I am not surprised by the OP's comments.

On 12/28/2017 at 11:09 PM, macca13 said:

You got to admit, love him or hate him.. if Corbyn is as anti greed/banks as he makes out it would be interesting to see what he changed! 

Like he said, of course the banks are worried about me gaining power! Cr@ping themselves! 

It's not Corbyn in charge though. He's the cuddly pullover-wearing grandpa that everybody is supposed to like. There are darker forces pulling the strings.

2 hours ago, oatbake said:

It's not Corbyn in charge though. He's the cuddly pullover-wearing grandpa that everybody is supposed to like. There are darker forces pulling the strings.

I wonder if they are the same lot who went nuts for Blair when even at...13? I could see the man was an insincere reptile 

On 28/12/2017 at 7:00 PM, hughjass said:

These lot are self serving entities that seem to love paying themselves more than the Prime minister.

Sound like a bunch of robdogs that are doing everything to keep themselves on the gravy train.

https://www.insidehousing.co.uk/insight/insight/inside-housing-salary-survey-2016-47874

' These performances were reflected in chief executive salaries with the average basic pay growing by 3.3% to £150,131 in 2015/16 compared with £145,330 in 2014/15. '

It's like the chariddeee CEO salaries

https://www.theguardian.com/society/salarysurvey/table/0,12406,1042677,00.html

51 minutes ago, dougless said:

Interesting read, thanks for that.

This was a post I did from an Inside housing report but the link no longer works:

Highest paid housing association chief executives 2015/16

Chief executive Housing association Total pay Rise/fall
1 David Cowans Places for People £528,870 9.8%
2 Jane Ashcroft Anchor £400,010 12.1%
3 David Montague L&Q £355,105 32.1%
4 David Bennett Sanctuary Group £340,000 6.6%
5 Keith Exford Affinity Sutton £320,933 6.7%
6 Simon Dow Guinness Partnership £273,242 1.6%
7 Darrell Mercer A2 Dominion Group £261,873 2.9%
8 Elaine Bailey Hyde Group £251,478 9.8%
9 Brian Johnson Metropolitan £251,281 10.1%
10 Peter Walls Gentoo Group £245,996 1.9%

Highest percentage total pay increases 2015/16

Chief executive Housing association Rise
1 David Montague L&Q 32.1%
2 Jo Savage Wellingborough Homes 15.6%
3 Harj Singh Aldwyck 14.1%
4 Robert Nettleton Merlin 13.7%
5 Elizabeth Austerberry Moat Homes 12.9%
6 Paul Lees Adactus Housing Group 12.5%
7 Anthony Whittaker United Welsh 12.2%
8 Jane Ashcroft Anchor 12.1%
9 Gary Fulford Walsall Housing Group 11.8%
10 Mike Hinch Newlon 11.2%

Last month I almost accepted a tenancy on a Housing Association flat (social rented) with a service charge of around £140 a month on top of the £290 a month rent. On viewing the flat I was told that it meant the heating, electric and water were all included. Still cheaper than privately renting a 1 br flat.

A week or two later I accepted a council tenancy with lower service charges. Of course I'd have to pay extra for the utilities. A few pence a week to clean the communal windows. I'd gladly pay a bit more for them to clean the flat's windows once a fortnight or so. I'm going to be on the first floor so I can't reach them from the outside.

As far as HA properties sold or let on a private basis and residents having to pay service charges, this needs to be looked into as it just doesn't seem fair.

2 hours ago, council dweller said:

Congats MattW !

and please remember to fight to keep it.

Thanks!

Should be moving into it on 3rd Jan.

As in any directly government charity, all the money has to be spent.

Housing association, that the other half worked for(really stupid leave looking back as they were the best payers/terms as employers you could wish for given the effort required).

Was a surplus of funds each year so the staff go one off bonus, not linked to performance, it was just left over sloshing around. Lowest workers got £500, higher up it will have been 000s.

They used to run competitions for tenants, incentives to pay rent on time. Prizes usually cash. The funny thing is so it was not seen a discrimination those who had the rent paid by housing benefit(direct payments) got put in the draw also, being that most of the tenants where paid like that invariably if was more often or not someone on HB that got the prize.  

thx for the links and happy new year to all. 

a huge scam at the moment is HA getting the grants for under soil heating systems and also for wood pellet burners. the stupidity and scamming is astounding.  

first the pellet burners. due to the local goverment and its green charge the council is blocking up chimneys on properties when they become vacant and putting in pellet burners instead, seeing as these burners cost 8k each to install and are keep breaking down and requiring parts there is really no saving at all,  most of the people appear to burn wood in their fires around here with coal used a top up, hence there is no real enviromental saving either. so what the council, who are in serious debt for which i cant figure how from their housing stock are doing is another form of extreme waste and stupidity. for one the people dont want the boilers, they all prefer the nice open fire, which for some unknown reason they block up the perfectly good fireplace when they install these pellet burners. many tenents angry with this have opened the fires back up themselves. the council can then claim that by burning wood in their expensive breaking down boilers are more enviromentaly friendly than burning wood in a fireplace that was their initially and was costing nothing.  now the council has to hire heating engineers to come out at all hours to repair these boilers. 

in another HA they are installing undersoil heating systems that cost the best part of 20k each to install, so by all accounts a lot of money. these homes are then being marketed on a rent then if you want buy later basis. the problem is 1. the rent at £560 a month is above the local average of around £400 a month for non HA property ie private let. 2. the price of the property if you wish to buy now or in 5 years is £150k but equivelent property and my opinion better property is being sold right now for £115k. its a low wage tourist job area. their catch is that the will knock off 5%of the rent paid if you buy, this is but a tiny amount. they say the high cost is due to the underground heating system, a system that they got grants for in the first place. 

it all just shows that the council are run by idiots and the HA by people looking out for themselves. The only way is a easy form of purchase becuase the housing stock is definetly not in safe sensible habds. 

I know someone who runs a property management company which manages maintainance for HAs and also private flats. I asked him about this and he explained that if you run a 'gardening company' or a 'window cleaning company' and you know the CEO of a HA earns £150k then you don't offer to cut the lawns for £10 and hour but rather £3k for the year. (And other contractors do the same, hey if they can pay £150k a year then the contractors don't feel charitable)....the HA pays it and the tenants end up paying daft maintainance charges to pay for the CEO, my friend slice, the company director of the 'gardening company' and the Gardener. 

The privately owned tenancy (ie not HA) can often be similar but where a block of flats is owned by the tenants themselves then quite often Barry from Flat 22 gets his brother to mow the law for £35 a time. The main disadvantage of having a little tenant run management company is a power mad chair who insists of everyone paying for the drive being brushed....but at least that annoying person often sorts everything and if the power gets too crazy they can be replaced. 

I know a window cleaner who runs a seperate cleaning company and he does communal area cleaning on flats and genuinely gets £600 pcm to hoover crazies and empty bins each week. 2 hours a week and he does 4 jobs like this. These are high end flats but also HAs blocks.   It seems a real gravy train and this guy left a finance job at 40 to do this because it was 'relatively' better pay. 

It would be interesting to see the background of these HAs CEOs and how they are appointed. 

Edited by Pop321
Typos

Council housing can be a con as well.

http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/news/norwich-housing-scandal-boss-speaks-out-1-487462

The former Norwich City Council housing boss sacked for her part in the 'homes-for-staff' scandal has admitted she was wrong to move into the sheltered accommodation at the centre of the controversy.

You do wonder how often they get away with it.  Also it is not open to everyone, just special people.

I looked into buying a house in Cambridge that was sold as 'shared ownership'. Mainly out of curiosity. Basically, the guy selling owned 60% and the HA owned the remaining 40%. So I could buy 60% or more if I wanted. When I enquired about offering LESS than the asking, I was told that the guy selling would have to take the total hit on whatever the loss was, and that the HA would not move on price for their 40%, as the asking price was set at a surveyors valuation. Yet if I offered more, the HA would take their percentage of the profit.

In other words, the HA take all of the reward, and none of the risk, in a shared ownership scheme. 

In other words, its a scam.

The service charge will be mostly management fees and administration fees...this is typical of modern Britain, it is management heavy with a long queue of people seeking to extract money but few actually doing any productive work.

That said, many readers will be laughing at the idea of £6.20 a month service charge is anything to worry about, some in London will be paying over £600 per month service charge and again most of that will be for management.

2 hours ago, b_real said:

I looked into buying a house in Cambridge that was sold as 'shared ownership'. Mainly out of curiosity. Basically, the guy selling owned 60% and the HA owned the remaining 40%. So I could buy 60% or more if I wanted. When I enquired about offering LESS than the asking, I was told that the guy selling would have to take the total hit on whatever the loss was, and that the HA would not move on price for their 40%, as the asking price was set at a surveyors valuation. Yet if I offered more, the HA would take their percentage of the profit.

In other words, the HA take all of the reward, and none of the risk, in a shared ownership scheme. 

In other words, its a scam.

Yep. Ownership is shared. Maintenance and loss arnt.

Edited by spyguy

A good friend of mine was working for a HA in London about 5 years ago and played a part in discovering that a couple of people working there had managed to somehow remove/hide a number of flats (IIRC it was 4 or 5) from the HA's computer system and were renting them out themselves cash in hand! They got away with this for a number of years - it was unclear how many.

After they were caught, the HA didn't prosecute them, for fear of the HA's incompetence being publicised. They were fired, but no further action was taken. 

:rolleyes: