House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
spacedin

Big changes ahead for HMO licensing.

The government is considering nationwide mandatory licensing of HMOs and a change in the definition of HMO to include two story properties! This will spell real trouble for those landlords who thought cramming students into former family homes was easy money. :) Must say I'm quite pleased as such properties have always been HMOs in all but name. And at least this means such properties will have to adhere to standards laid out in the Housing Act 2004 and the Management of Houses in Multiple Occupation (England) Regulations 2006.  The question remains though; how much these standards will be enforced?

I imagine the National Landlord Association won't be happy given how much money they have spent fighting local HMO licensing schemes. 

Rogue landlords targeted by government

Rogue landlords are the target of new measures being considered by both the government and Labour.

The government says landlords in England who want to rent a property to five or more people, from at least two different families, should be licensed.

Under the plan, the maximum number of people who can occupy a room would be specified in the property's licence.

Meanwhile, Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn says his party wants tenants to have more powers to avoid eviction.

There are about 4.3 million households in the private rented sector in England. About 500,000 are houses in multiple occupation.

The Department for Communities and Local Government said the changes, subject to Parliamentary approval, would make flats and one and two-storey properties subject to licensing.

National mandatory licensing currently only applies if properties are three or more storeys.

It estimated that about 160,000 homes will be affected by the new proposals.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42500109

Edited by spacedin

HMOs and over crowding are an inevitable outcome of policy.  This policy announcement is a half hearted attempt at mitigating the symptoms of current policy of tightly restricting housing supply and uncontrolled immigration.  This is more about gesturing - I can see no end to the human misery whilst the cause of the problem exists.

Bad news for people farmers has to be good news for anyone with a soul.. it probably is just posturing by the governemnt to try and buy middle ground and stem the flow of voters to Labour; but good news regardless as it all affects sentiment.

If things continue as they are I suspect we'll have a Labour government after the next election (whenever that may be), then I expect the sh*t to really hit the fan for these parasites :)

It'll be interesting to see if many landlords with 'five bedroom' properties choose to reinstate one of the 'bedrooms' into a living room to avoid having to adhere to the regulations. 

To be honest, I've witnessed local HMO licensing schemes in action and in practice I think little will change unless as you say councils are given more powers of enforcement.

Edited by spacedin

"To be honest, I've witnessed local HMO licensing schemes in action and in practice I think little will change unless as you say councils are given more powers of enforcement and actually bloody use them."

Fixed that for you.

6 minutes ago, Shrink Proof said:

"To be honest, I've witnessed local HMO licensing schemes in action and in practice I think little will change unless as you say councils are given more powers of enforcement and actually bloody use them."

Fixed that for you.

Where there is a high housing shortage.....the landlord shut down whilst/if improvements made, who is left to pick up the pieces, find the better homes?....the councils, so sometimes it might be easier for them not to see it, knowing it is there.;)

4 hours ago, Wayward said:

HMOs and over crowding are an inevitable outcome of policy.  This policy announcement is a half hearted attempt at mitigating the symptoms of current policy of tightly restricting housing supply and uncontrolled immigration.  This is more about gesturing - I can see no end to the human misery whilst the cause of the problem exists.

Exactly.Take an ex colleague of mine.He got the contract for a big factory for the odd jobs.Collecting the cardboard from the lines,breaking up and getting shot of old pallets etc.He bought a terraced house in the Boro and put in 9 people from Iraq.Charged them all rent.He employed them all on the above contract.The company made redundant the people who already did those jobs,mostly people who will struggle to get jobs at other places,low skilled,some borderline learning disabilities.He has only one of them down living there though.That one claims Housing Benefit.The guy lets him keep the housing benefit and an extra few quid.He drives the others to the factory.

Immigration and welfare the two things that destroy working class wages and living standards.Get yourself a bint who will drop two kids and two more when they are 17/18,or your stuffed.You simply cant compete trying to do the right things because the power of the state is racked up against you.

Earlier I checked zoopla  for my daughter's area of Oxford -OX3.  

Just on the first page there are several large HMOs up for sale - mostly untenanted.,

it's been a while since I checked.  Oxford is def HMO territory  but I've never seen so many for sale before.  Tax changes are definitely hitting. 

They don't like these proposals on Povertyl8r:

https://www.property118.com/new-government-powers-ban-landlords-additional-hmo-regulations/

Observe the tasteful picture they've used to illustrate the article, which shows the accommodation blocks at.....  Auschwitz.

I can't decide whether this is an allusion to the poor quality HMO housing provided by some rogue landlords, or a reference to the way that at least one of their number is on record as thinking that landlords themselves are being treated by the government.

I've archived the page with its photo, for future reference.

On 28/12/2017 at 6:20 PM, Mrs Bear said:

Earlier I checked zoopla  for my daughter's area of Oxford -OX3.  

Just on the first page there are several large HMOs up for sale - mostly untenanted.,

it's been a while since I checked.  Oxford is def HMO territory  but I've never seen so many for sale before.  Tax changes are definitely hitting. 

Leicester has seen some relatively large HMO estates up for sale for some time.

Which tells you all you need to know about where the LL's see the prices going.