House Price Crash Forum
LittlePig

Landlords ‘unwilling’ to rent to universal credit recipients

"...we look after a couple of landlords who have just one property they rent out as their pension. They are sympathetic to their tenants but if they do not receive that rent then they are the ones who fall into hardship,”

"You can’t say to private landlords that they should just soak up the losses. It’s just not practicable for them, unlike perhaps big social landlords who can take more of a hit,” she said. “They do not receive the arrears back in the vast majority of cases and so it is not surprising if they cut their losses.”

“If you are a businessman and are looking to maximise profit, why would you even take the risk of accepting a tenant on universal credit?”

What, you mean those kind hearted upstanding survents of the people are unwilling to take the hit for the nations needy, are really only in it for the bottom line after all. :o Shocking!

7 hours ago, DarkHorseWaits-NoMore said:

What, you mean those kind hearted upstanding survents of the people are unwilling to take the hit for the nations needy, are really only in it for the bottom line after all. :o Shocking!

+1000.

BTL is supposedly treated on commercial terms.  Even if you do get a tenant who's not on universal credit, there's no saying they'll necessarily be any more solvent.  Plan accordingly, or expect some pain.

Long-term, on aggregate, they have no choice.  Who else will they be renting to?

Sure, some of them might rent to the nice solvent young professionals they’ve callously priced-out.  But there aren’t enough of those - the bottom X% of the market goes to people on benefits and always will.  

So it’s benefit tenants or no tenants.  

What this means is that landlords will have to pay less in order to make the sums work, and to compensate for more risky rental payments.  That’s good news.  

Articles like this are just special pleading for government to reduce their risk premiums, and increase the value of their ‘investments’, using their victims as a bargaining chip.

‘Gimme the money, or I’ll evict’

Moral blackmail, basically. Lovely people.

Edited by BuyToLeech

15 hours ago, Beary McBearface said:

Exactly. Talk is cheap and voids are expensive.

We had a saying - if you want a war, we'll give you a war.  Such aggression is sign of weakness and a time to escalate.  Time for a rent cap.  Put people in hotels if need be, until rents come down or ex-btls come on the market.  Talk is not only cheap but dangerous.

On 25/12/2017 at 2:51 PM, DarkHorseWaits-NoMore said:

"...we look after a couple of landlords who have just one property they rent out as their pension. They are sympathetic to their tenants but if they do not receive that rent then they are the ones who fall into hardship,”

You can’t say to private landlords that they should just soak up the losses.

Silly spinning Guardian again.

Therefore:

I have a stock portfolio as my pension. I am sympathetic to the companies but if I do not receive my dividends then I am the one who falls on hardship.  You can't say to private investors to just soak up the losses.

So the point is what exactly?

'“If you are a businessman and are looking to maximise profit, '

If you were a bussinessman then youd understand the market you are operating in.

If you are a dumb bandwagonesque speculator then you ar4e going to get your ar5e served to you.

If you are leverage loon then you really should not be in the market.

Just cr.p.