House Price Crash Forum

Telegraph stories on Christmas Eve

Toast

HOLA441

Some family members get the Telegraph, so I glance through when I visit. This time, the business pull-out section had a collection of interesting headlines. As this is just a sample without context, I can't say it represents a trend (and the pieces are sadly lacking in any denouncement of excessive credit); but I bring them to your attention as a slight restorative in this festive season:

Housing shortage could put Corbyn in No 10, says Buxton. "Unless the government confronts the uncomfortable truth that we have to build thousands of new houses on greenbelt land, then the prospect of a fiercely re-distributive government is firmly on the horizon."

Generation rent could end up being glad that they never bought. "People have realised that it is not necessarily a great investment."

It's time to confront the uncomfortable truth about the green belt. "It is appalling that in 21st century Britain, the younger generation face the prospect of being worse off than their parents."

Agents of innovation forced to think beyond simply bricks and mortar. "Online rivals and falling transactions have left high street property companies needing new tactics." [OK, this one is about the woes of estate agents, rather than the price of residential property.] 

Merry Christmas fellow HPCers. May 2018 bring hope, health, and the rewards of hard work, for you and your families.

--- Toast

HOLA442
2 hours ago, Toast said:

Some family members get the Telegraph, so I glance through when I visit. This time, the business pull-out section had a collection of interesting headlines. As this is just a sample without context, I can't say it represents a trend (and the pieces are sadly lacking in any denouncement of excessive credit); but I bring them to your attention as a slight restorative in this festive season:

Housing shortage could put Corbyn in No 10, says Buxton. "Unless the government confronts the uncomfortable truth that we have to build thousands of new houses on greenbelt land, then the prospect of a fiercely re-distributive government is firmly on the horizon."

Generation rent could end up being glad that they never bought. "People have realised that it is not necessarily a great investment."

It's time to confront the uncomfortable truth about the green belt. "It is appalling that in 21st century Britain, the younger generation face the prospect of being worse off than their parents."

Agents of innovation forced to think beyond simply bricks and mortar. "Online rivals and falling transactions have left high street property companies needing new tactics." [OK, this one is about the woes of estate agents, rather than the price of residential property.] 

Merry Christmas fellow HPCers. May 2018 bring hope, health, and the rewards of hard work, for you and your families.

--- Toast

Great spot, Toast, many thanks- that describes the asset-owner sentiment and is great to hear.

Happy Christmas

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
8 hours ago, Thorn said:

Great spot, Toast, many thanks- that describes the asset-owner sentiment and is great to hear.

Happy Christmas

Happy crashmas! Let’s hope for a cheeky 50% reduction in 2018.. it certainly feels like it’s going tits up.. just been out for a Christmas meal and drink.. booked a table.. waste of time the restaurant was empty.. ?

HOLA447
HOLA448
5 hours ago, suresh786 said:

Stop giving mortgages. Or at least reduce mortgage to 3 x salary.  Plus stop HTB.

Yes, it really is that simple, although I would add end BTL. 

Hence it is clearly a conspiracy by politicians to enrich certain people and hide their years of economic mismanagement and crony capitalism, although that trick has almost run its course.

Any normalisation in house prices would mathmatically destroy the prevailing economic fiction such as GDP growth and debt to GDP ratios.

Edited by Fence

HOLA449
1 hour ago, Fence said:

Hence it is clearly a conspiracy by politicians to enrich certain people and hide their years of economic mismanagement and crony capitalism, although that trick has almost run its course.

Any normalisation in house prices would mathmatically destroy the prevailing economic fiction such as GDP growth and debt to GDP ratios.

Agreed, first thing is stop BTL mortgages.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
4 hours ago, Fence said:

Exactly, the only question in my mind is whether they are doing it deliberately or because of incompetence.

I don't think they understand, because if they did they would realise that what they are doing will end so badly.

Their job is to appear as if they know what they are doing even so far as they really believe it.

Reality will bite .

HOLA4414
2 hours ago, suresh786 said:
  • Stop BTL mortgages for all.
  • Stop Help to Buy schemes.
  • Minimum 25% deposit for any anyone buying house. Maximum 3 x salary for mortgage.
  • Speed up S24 if need be.
  • Stop non-UK passport holders from buying property in UK.

Its not rocket science its easy.

But Hammond told the finance select committee that he has to make housing more affordable while not allowing negative equity, I'm not sure he realises that the only way to achieve this is by 1970s style pay rises.

Of course these would not exactly help the productivity puzzle.

I suppose massive devaluation is the only way, but again that won't work because rates would have to go up along with unemployment.

I thank I may be cornered.

HOLA4415
On 24/12/2017 at 10:42 AM, Toast said:

--- Toast

Good find !

A happy Christmas and new year HPCers. I hope 2018 will be better than 2017.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
43 minutes ago, frederico said:

But Hammond told the finance select committee that he has to make housing more affordable while not allowing negative equity, I'm not sure he realises that the only way to achieve this is by 1970s style pay rises.

Of course these would not exactly help the productivity puzzle.

I suppose massive devaluation is the only way, but again that won't work because rates would have to go up along with unemployment.

I thank I may be cornered.

This is exactly how they think. From their side, they want to help general public who can not afford to buy. So they think how we can help to FTB. We can help by following:

• By doing HTB.
  • By reducing deposit.
  • By increasing times of salary for mortgage e.g. allow people to borrow for 5xsalary.

This is wrong and they should just do the opposite. If they do the opposite the prices will come down and more people will be able to afford to buy. The reason people not able to buy is prices. If they keep doing the above things, the prices will keep going up. Less people will be able to afford. Then to help people they will bring more HTB etc. This cycle will keep going. Untill the bubble burst with too much debt.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
5 hours ago, suresh786 said:

This is exactly how they think. From their side, they want to help general public who can not afford to buy. So they think how we can help to FTB. We can help by following:

• By doing HTB.
  • By reducing deposit.
  • By increasing times of salary for mortgage e.g. allow people to borrow for 5xsalary.

This is wrong and they should just do the opposite. If they do the opposite the prices will come down and more people will be able to afford to buy. The reason people not able to buy is prices. If they keep doing the above things, the prices will keep going up. Less people will be able to afford. Then to help people they will bring more HTB etc. This cycle will keep going. Untill the bubble burst with too much debt.

Of course they know.. that’s why they are doing it! 

Terrsa may, Philip Hammond BTL landlords, Sajid Javids bus driver dad millionaire.. from property! David Cameron’s best mate is a land banker, so needs rising asset prices to increase land values, that’s why they continue to pump tax payers money into banks.. £150 billion.. 

Tony war criminal Blair and his horse faced wife 15 btl properties.. 

conservatives funded by house builders and banks..

they know exactly what they are doing,, that’s why they are corrupt, disgusting human beings.. 

bring back Guy Fawkes.. we need mob justice to shift these turds ? they make the laws so they are above them.. most people are too ignorant to see they are being screwed! 

HOLA4420
On ‎24‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 6:43 PM, maverick73 said:

raise interest rates and magically everything becomes affordable again..... unfortunately supporting mass house building, supports the current over consumption society.... ;)

With the system designed as it currently it is with restricted supply prices will always be as high as folks can afford and therefore prices are linked to credit availability.  But...with tighter credit conditions this does not mean we suddenly become better housed as a nation.  We will still have the inadequate and poor quality stock.  We will still be fighting like rats in a sack over inadequate housing supply...

HOLA4421
4 hours ago, Wayward said:

With the system designed as it currently it is with restricted supply prices will always be as high as folks can afford and therefore prices are linked to credit availability.  But...with tighter credit conditions this does not mean we suddenly become better housed as a nation.  We will still have the inadequate and poor quality stock.  We will still be fighting like rats in a sack over inadequate housing supply...

Stop immigration then.. 

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
1 hour ago, Freki said:

I wonder how your brain managed to link poor quality of the housing stock and immigration

He said the word SUPPLY.. I forget mass immigration does not effect supply..That’s a right wing racist idea.. keep them coming.. let’s concrete over everything. Immigration only improves the country.. ??. FFS 

my area is lovely, just don’t go out late as you might get stabbed. Don’t get sick as the doctors is a 2week wait, and don’t have kids as the schools are full..and don’t drive to work as the roads are blocked.. and don’t breath the air as it’s toxic.. 

apart from that a few million more people are going to improve my area no end! 

And they wonder why everyone is so divided.. ?

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
4 hours ago, macca13 said:

Stop immigration then.. 

Fat chance....wages would increase and rents and house prices would plummet. TPTB will do everything to prevent this...including running a campaign to persuade the masses immigration is good and necessary.