House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jiltedjen

the new 'like' and 'dislike' feature being abused

Hello all

i posted in this HPC forum about the likes and dislikes being abused:

A lot of the long time decent HPC users have been spammed with 'dislikes' from 'muddlehead' which is a real shame.

2 hours ago, jiltedjen said:

Hello all

i posted in this HPC forum about the likes and dislikes being abused:

A lot of the long time decent HPC users have been spammed with 'dislikes' from 'muddlehead' which is a real shame.

Was wondering why I suddenly had 45 notifications, all relating to threads on old posts (some months old), apparently all featuring muddlehead. Case closed on that mystery then. :rolleyes:

4 hours ago, Jazzman said:

Likes are a bad idea. It will drag this forum down into the superficial depths of Facebook and Twitter, which cynically exploit fickle human emotions for advertising gain. Forums allow people to express their point of view articulately and encourages healthy debate. There is no point scoring, just an exchange of rational thought. Forums are good places to shape ideas and learn. The 'like' feature will turn off some of the more knowledgeable and intelligent posters IMO.

+1

(Old school like)

4 hours ago, Lavalas said:

Looks to me like you asked for it to go and it has?

Disappeared from mine too. 

Glad that I managed to get a couple of reactions from Muddlehead before the function was disabled. 

2 hours ago, Ah-so said:

Disappeared from mine too. 

Glad that I managed to get a couple of reactions from Muddlehead before the function was disabled. 

Thank goodness. It creates a kind of artificial social pressure at odds with free debate. If there is to be social pressure on a forum, I think it's much better done the old fashioned way, through the discussion of the community that forms (and re-forms).

There aren't many online fora where that works without extra mechanisms, but HPC seems to be a rare and valuable example. Don't kill the goose / guild the lily (or whatever other cliche applies), and thank you to all the posters for making this a good place for debate and education: I'm honoured to be here.

9 hours ago, Maynardgravy said:

I've been 'muddleheaded'. Treat it like badge of honour.

On this forum, I think that's what would happen. I would have been curious, if a bit frightened, to see what happened if this place turned into a competition for down-votes. Probably best not to know.

8 hours ago, Ah-so said:

Spyguy had managed to pick up 45 down votes already. 

I thought they were upvotes! They were when i looked.

I was going to say muddlehead is a fine upstanding fellow but a bit stalky.

1 minute ago, The Moderators said:

It looks like the like/dislike feature may have been enabled in error, now disabled and 'muddlehead' dealt with.

Did you script 1E20 dislikes?

1 minute ago, The Moderators said:

It looks like the like/dislike feature may have been enabled in error, now disabled and 'muddlehead' dealt with.

Dealt with? 

Sounds like a line from a Scorcese film. 

Imagine being stuck in the estate agents office on a Friday night, so bored and desparate you notice when a random online forum enables a like feature and you can dish out your vengeance. 

10 hours ago, Maynardgravy said:

Oh yeah. Preferred it without the feature.

I've been 'muddleheaded'. Treat it like badge of honour.

Lol just logged in and 23 notifications from old nut nut MH was wondering what that was all about - accurate name though ??

YAY its gone!

i have to admit i was taking it quite personally. Think we all spend too much time on this forum, and it a way its the community you belong to. 

38 minutes ago, Calcutta said:

Imagine being stuck in the estate agents office on a Friday night, so bored and desparate you notice when a random online forum enables a like feature and you can dish out your vengeance. 

Friday?

I walk down the EA drag on my way to and from the train station.

My hpurs change a bit, so im up and down dufferent times of the day.

No matter what day or what time, its like Waitinr Godot - big windows showing desks of mid 20s EAs - they never get older, wierd eh? - sat doing nothing.

The whole lot dies as soon as rental fees are stopped.

1 hour ago, spyguy said:

I thought they were upvotes! They were when i looked.

I was going to say muddlehead is a fine upstanding fellow but a bit stalky.

1 hour ago, Ah-so said:

Dealt with? 

Sounds like a line from a Scorcese film. 

This muddlehead dude dug out a thread which nobody has posted to since October (linky) and made seven votes on my posts on that thread alone :rolleyes:

The thread in question was started by Mr Banks and is currently on the 14th page of down from the first page of this sub-forum:

image.png.ca285e6ef166151804e9b31932a1c691.png

It certainly looks like a amusingly inept bit of trolling by muddlehead which has to some extent backfired because the notifications gave the posters on the receiving end of muddlehead's reviews more information than muddlehead perhaps anticipated. 

The first post of mine on that October thread that muddlehead voted on was me trolling a troll.

Also, there was the incident when muddlehead searched my shobolerant looking for something to back up somebody else's dull-witted mocking of the forum.

muddlehead made six votes on A Goodbye To All That Buy-to-let including commenting on a post made in April.

Balance of probabilities, this muddlehead joker is a some bozo with a bunch of buy-to-let mortgages and no clue. Fits with my current belief that most of the trolls aren't estate agents - they are gormless leveraged landlords.

Edited by Beary McBearface

2 minutes ago, Beary McBearface said:

Balance of probabilities, this muddlehead joker is a some bozo with a bunch of buy-to-let mortgages and no clue. Fits with my current belief that most of the trolls aren't estate agents - they are gormless leveraged landlords.

I had the same thought given their selection of threads. Made me laugh quite a bit :D

1 hour ago, Greg Bowman said:

Lol just logged in and 23 notifications from old nut nut MH was wondering what that was all about - accurate name though ??

I got 55 somebody loves me.;)

38 minutes ago, Neverwhere said:

I had the same thought given their selection of threads. Made me laugh quite a bit :D

An obvious pattern is that they tend to spend a couple of months and about 100-150 posts trying to fit in (including bashing BTL) and then they move to an 'influence' phase which often is followed pretty quickly by them acting out in some daft way and getting slapped with a ban. Not every leveraged portfolio landlord is a witless cretin but I think that probably the witless cretins are strongly represented within the subset of leveraged landlords who reckon the way to influence the UK property market is to try to influence the conversation here on HPC. Tactically, that approach makes as much sense to me as early Christians responding to the Romans feeding them to lions by smearing themselves with gravy and voluntarily proselytising to the lions*. Takes all sorts to make a world I guess.

triumph-of-faith--christian-martyrs-in-t

* I'm not suggesting that the early Christians did this and neither am I condoning feeding any faith group or ethnicity to lions. Happy Winterval to one and all!