House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
rollover

Tell the truth say regulators to Estate agents

Estate agents are being warned to tell the truth on property adverts, after regulators said some of them were "stretching the facts". The Committee of Advertising Practice (CAP), which writes the rules, said it would take enforcement action if things did not improve in 2018. It said any estate agent that did not comply with its instructions could face criminal prosecution.

The issues include making fees clear and describing properties accurately. In addition, the CAP reminded estate agents to include VAT in all quoted prices. It said any comparisons with rivals had to be based on objective criteria which were verifiable. BBC

Hope it will work well.

Trust needs to be taken out of the equation. Property Bee has been my biggest help in understanding the story behind a property. It looks like it's been abandoned though unfortunately.

10 hours ago, sPinwheel said:

Are they capable of doing so?

I think to avoid situations like this.

Homeowner is set to sue estate agents after they sold him £280,000 dream flat without telling him neighbours were 'traveller family from hell'

David Stanley, 55, struck a deal with the estate agents in February - securing the one bedroom home in Farnham, Surrey.  But he soon realised all was not what it seemed. The estate agents had omitted a crucial detail. Just a few weeks after he moved in, the previously empty plot of land next to the hairdresser's new property was filled by 20 raucous travellers.

The clan threw parties every night, created noxious fumes from bonfires and aggressively revved motorbikes in the early hours. Mr Stanley claims the clan's activities have devalued his £280,000 property and has lodged a formal complaint with the firm. The disgruntled homeowner said the travellers were not there when he viewed the property. But just a few weeks after he moved in the travellers appeared. The estate agents knew this would happen but did not mention it.

Daily Mail

These people are just irrelevant greased up pointy shoe'd monkeys doing the bidding of greedy house sellers, cut loose lending and it'll show them to be the pointless glorified hotel porters they are.

If people trust EA's more fool them.

9 minutes ago, rollover said:

I think to avoid situations like this.

Did he ask?

Did his solicitor not do a search?

Dont bother asking an EA to tell the truth, just sue them and punitively fine them when they lie.

Let EA indemnity insurance be priced accordingly.

I probably hate estate agents more than any other profession. The time I have wasted going to view properties where they must have sent the photos to be doctored by a special effects team. 

I’m planning to sign up with all the local EAs with the directive to only contact me once a house has been on their books for x weeks (will need tweaking to suit each EA depending on their size / the size of lie they are willing to tell) and has not had any offers. Also the moment another interested party makes an offer I will withdraw my interest in that house.

itll be an interesting experiment and a good gauge of the true balance of power between buyers and sellers in the local market 

this approach has the added bonus of stripping the EA of the only tools they have in their box ie lying about rival bidders and lying about market interest

will report back with my findings 

21 minutes ago, doomed said:

I probably hate estate agents more than any other profession. The time I have wasted going to view properties where they must have sent the photos to be doctored by a special effects team. 

One thing I see a lot is photos stretched horizontally when property is small.  Rooms look bigger and wider but square doors give it away.

2 hours ago, Bear Hug said:

One thing I see a lot is photos stretched horizontally when property is small.  Rooms look bigger and wider but square doors give it away.

I haven't noticed that trick before, have you got a link to any examples 

4 hours ago, Bear Hug said:

Or the old fish-eye lens picture taken from a position somewhere in the top corner making all the walls look curved.

2 minutes ago, Diver Dan said:

Or the old fish-eye lens picture taken from a position somewhere in the top corner making all the walls look curved.

Otherwise known as “the old NASA snap”

1 hour ago, Confusion of VIs said:

I haven't noticed that trick before, have you got a link to any examples 

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-60620311.html

I went to view this other day and photos are 100% elongated so rooms appear bigger.

There was no way I would of paid asking price never mind offered over.

Edited by doomed

14 minutes ago, winkie said:

Huge fridge, really wide cooker.....all out of proportion.....how to make a small area into what looks like a large area....lots of tricks.;)

wide+angle+kitchen.jpg

You can fit a body in that oven.

13 hours ago, doomed said:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-60620311.html

I went to view this other day and photos are 100% elongated so rooms appear bigger.

There was no way I would of paid asking price never mind offered over.

That's quite a professionally deceptive set of pics. Tell tale signs are the slightly fat elliptic plates in the living room and the off perspective in there. Family photos on the landing all look like 16:9 widescreen. The room with a mirror over a fireplace has a weird vertical perspective where the chimney breast quickly widens as it goes up. I expect it's all much brighter than in real life too. You can just see they had the kitchen light on. I'll give some props to the ******* photographer but this stuff really annoys me. And it's so widespread.

On 23/12/2017 at 8:32 AM, Glental said:

Trust needs to be taken out of the equation. Property Bee has been my biggest help in understanding the story behind a property. It looks like it's been abandoned though unfortunately.

The following is not really a long term solution but is better than nothing I guess.

Alternatively, I found this site below which, contrary to what the URL suggests, still offers the main Firefox 56 browser in *various* OS not just Windows:
https://www.softexia.com/windows/web-br ... firefox-56

1. Install and then quickly (temporarily) disable your wifi before Firefox can auto-update to v57.
2. Then go into Firefox's Preferences and change to 'Never Update'.
3. Turn your wifi back on.
4. Then reinstall Property Bee as normal and it works for me (Mac version).

Of course you have to live with the potential security risks of having a non-up to date browser on your system. Offset this by only using Firefox 56 for Rightmove and Property Bee but nothing else. Do all your other web browsing in another browser which you then keep up to date with all the usual security and version updates.

http://www.property-bee.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&p=207688#p207688

How's about a 3 bed terrace in Newcastle for offers over £445,000, also with some misleading stretchy stretchy camera work:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-51564963.html

Or this semi in Durham next to the busy A167 highway for £450,000 with some suspiciously wide chairs:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-68886317.html

Edited by Barnsey

Just don't go for it if they don't have the room size listed in the floorplan tab (rightmove).

PS 375k in Liverpool? Wow. Need to call one of them for a valuation...