House Price Crash Forum
The Spaniard

HTB house of horrors

The government says the country needs 300,000 new homes a year to meet demand.

But as it pushes developers to build faster, there are growing concerns that the quality of homes being built has drastically dropped.

The BBC just can't bring itself to blame the developer. The obvious conclusion is that developers can get away with selling any old sh*t because money is being thrown at them via Help To Buy and there's no enforcement of building standards. But no, they're just under too much government pressure to build quickly. FFS.

2 hours ago, The Spaniard said:

You cannot help but feel sorry for the unfortunate buyer  (through HTB) of this pile of excrement:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42396938

How on earth can Bovis get away with selling it?

It's amazing the quality of new housing in this country is of such a shit quality both in design standards. My 1930 semi's roof if original and in good nick some houses on a 2012 Taylor wimpy estate down the road are having roofs replaced also report of damp etc

Love this nugget.

Bovis... added that it had made "significant changes" to how it operated in the past 12 months - including reducing the number of homes it planned to build.

Everything going swimmingly Mrs May.

Judging by the House Builders Federation survey it seems they can't properly build houses. :blink: These people need to go out of business.

So has she never had it surveyed before? Odd, if I were buying a new build, the way I would expect it to work is that I don't hand any money over until I'm happy with what's being delivered.

If people aren't being given the opportunity to have the house surveyed and demanding the problems are sorted before buying it then something must be done.

If the opportunity is there but such people aren't taking it to save themselves a couple of hundred quid then it's their own stupid fault. 

I don't understand how a mortgage lender would even lend on an unfinished or (independently) uninspected house.

Sounds to me like the builders are being allowed to get away with this. They really have this country by the balls.

Of course, the answer to this is, as is common in North America, hold back a sum of money to pay for repairs and hold it in the conveyancers' trust account, only releasing it to the vendor after a contracted period of time.

But that seems beyond dumb Brits with their corrupt Government.

£600,000 HtB threshold 'too low' for Greater London.

One in four boroughs have no qualifying houses. :blink:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/consumer-affairs/help-buy-lock-one-four-london-boroughs-have-no-qualifying-houses/

There is a chronic shortage of London homes that qualify under the Government's flagship Help to Buy programme, new figures reveal.

In eight of London's 32 borough there are no qualifying houses at all with many other boroughs, including Southwark, Greenwich and Barnet, having only a handful of listings.

Help to Buy is open to first-time buyers with deposits of at least 5pc. The Government lends up to 20pc of the purchase price and the remaining 75pc is mortgaged.

Properties must be new builds and not cost more than £600,000.

However, research from James Pendleton, a London estate agent, found just 603 qualifying houses across the capital

6 hours ago, Digsby said:

So has she never had it surveyed before? Odd, if I were buying a new build, the way I would expect it to work is that I don't hand any money over until I'm happy with what's being delivered.

I bet it was the developers surveyour, solicitor and mortgage provider... they offered a total 1 stop shop to make it easy for the buyer lol

25 minutes ago, Monkey said:

I bet it was the developers surveyour, solicitor and mortgage provider... they offered a total 1 stop shop to make it easy for the buyer lol

Yes, and I fully expect the builder's solicitor to have stitched them up with a costly leasehold arrangement.

325k for a pile of poo.

I once lived in a house that was built in 1999 which cost £51k new, yes it was basic and like an 80's house but it was relatively well built, no gaps, draughts or leaks.

So at these crazy prices why can't they get basic construction right?

10 hours ago, Digsby said:

If people aren't being given the opportunity to have the house surveyed and demanding the problems are sorted before buying it then something must be done.

If the opportunity is there but such people aren't taking it to save themselves a couple of hundred quid then it's their own stupid fault. 

I don't understand how a mortgage lender would even lend on an unfinished or (independently) uninspected house.

Sounds to me like the builders are being allowed to get away with this. They really have this country by the balls.

A whole new industry has sprung up with people using professional snagging reports to highlight issues on new builds. This is on top of survey reports which are mostly for the mortgage company benefit.  Some new build companies will not give permission for a snagging report to be made on the property.  Alarm bells should be ringing if that happens and you should walk away from the deal. 

3 hours ago, Timbuk3 said:

A whole new industry has sprung up with people using professional snagging reports to highlight issues on new builds. This is on top of survey reports which are mostly for the mortgage company benefit.  Some new build companies will not give permission for a snagging report to be made on the property.  Alarm bells should be ringing if that happens and you should walk away from the deal. 

Any large purchase, be it house, boat, plane etc. The purchaser should use an independent service, checking the project at every stage to make sure its built to spec and the "fit for purpose" final product is delivered. 

The cost of this is such a small % of the build and it ensures that there will be less of a chance of underlying issues where the manufacturer has cut corners.

Of course legally the retailer is liable, but by the time the issues come to light its often to late to get back the time, stress and money involved. Getting your money back and costs then it another matter.

I watched the Victoria Derbyshire program and there was someone who sent in a message about being given the option to "move" and I was struck that so many of the new build resales could be these sub-standard rejects. 

We are renting a new build in a development now 5 years old and so many of the houses have been on the market recently.

The other thing I noticed (and I may have missed this) was that the developments were not identified. 

Edited by Flopsy

5 hours ago, thewig said:

everything being built now looks like its designed to be bulldozed in twenty years time imo.

Creates more work for building companies. Make s*** houses, get more work later re-building. Built in obsolescence.

Edited by Arpeggio

For *three hundred and twenty five thousand pounds* - to be paid out of my net income or savings - I would expect a 5 bedroom detached house with a triple garage, a third of an acre of land, every possible creature comfort, finished to perfection and that could withstand a nuclear attack.

I would also expect it to come with a 'free' Tesla Model S and to be welcomed by Scarlett Johannsen in a négligé eagerly offering to share the bed with me each night.

That people pay these sums for this crap is just tragic.

1 hour ago, Arpeggio said:

Maybe HTB has done its job and boosted the lower end to keep house prices up?

Yeah, well if you keep needing to raise the threshold, it kind of answers the question of whether the policy is increasing prices doesn't it?