House Price Crash Forum
Lurkst

Nicola Sturgeon has stolen your skiing holiday

Definitely the poorest article I have seen from the wonderful Merryn.  Say you are dual-earning family both on about £150,000 with a few kids. Nicola Sturgeon just stole your skiing holiday is either very poorly constructed irony or shows a lack of connection with the plebs.

She's also factually wrong, "Everyone earning over £33,000 will now pay more tax in Scotland than in England." the SNP are comparing this year with last year as the annual inflation adjustment makes it £33k. However, next year anyone in Scotland earning more than £26k will pay more tax than someone earning the same in England, Wales or NI.

1 hour ago, mattyboy1973 said:

What is the likelihood of that in much of Scotland?

'Average' wage in Scotland was around £23k p.a. in 2016, the highest of any UK region outside of London and the South East. Surprising, eh?

The more telling stat is that workers in Scotland appeared to have higher disposable incomes than London at the beginning of that year.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jan/17/scottish-workers-more-disposable-income-london-earners

Anecdotally, there is very little in the way of resentment at this tax rise amongst middle earners. I would guess most of our circle of friends/family earn more than £33k, I have never heard anyone complain about it to date. I reckon it'll cost me approx. £130-ish a year, about a tenner a month. The better half will take a bigger hit. We can afford it tbh.

To put that into context, last year we both took private health options through our work, costing approx. £60 p.m. in total, due to our concerns over the NHS. We would gladly pay £50 p.m. in extra tax if it were targeted into the NHS.

42 minutes ago, AThirdWay said:

'Average' wage in Scotland was around £23k p.a. in 2016, the highest of any UK region outside of London and the South East. Surprising, eh?

The more telling stat is that workers in Scotland appeared to have higher disposable incomes than London at the beginning of that year.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jan/17/scottish-workers-more-disposable-income-london-earners

Anecdotally, there is very little in the way of resentment at this tax rise amongst middle earners. I would guess most of our circle of friends/family earn more than £33k, I have never heard anyone complain about it to date. I reckon it'll cost me approx. £130-ish a year, about a tenner a month. The better half will take a bigger hit. We can afford it tbh.

To put that into context, last year we both took private health options through our work, costing approx. £60 p.m. in total, due to our concerns over the NHS. We would gladly pay £50 p.m. in extra tax if it were targeted into the NHS.

I am a little surprised by the wage, but not so much the disposable income. I would also happily pay more towards the NHS, and would seriously think about moving to Scotland if it wasn't for the weather and the winter darkness - a much more progressive electorate than England, unfortunately for us.

43 minutes ago, mattyboy1973 said:

would seriously think about moving to Scotland if it wasn't for the weather and the winter darkness 

There's only 50 minutes more daylight in London compared to Glasgow at this time of year, and you get the benefit in the summer. Plus as Billy Connolly said, there's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes...

13 hours ago, Lurkst said:

There's only 50 minutes more daylight in London compared to Glasgow at this time of year, and you get the benefit in the summer. Plus as Billy Connolly said, there's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothes...

That is a massive difference, also I don't want longer days it is hard enough to put children to bed in London in the summer.

21 hours ago, mattyboy1973 said:

I am a little surprised by the wage, but not so much the disposable income. I would also happily pay more towards the NHS, and would seriously think about moving to Scotland if it wasn't for the weather and the winter darkness - a much more progressive electorate than England, unfortunately for us.

Come to sunny Dundee,  :) just don't believe all you read about the 'delicious' pehs!

https://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/2016/03/28/12-things-might-surprise-outsiders-dundee/

We're singing from the same hymn sheet wrt the NHS.

I do consider the SNP to be the most progressive, viable, voting option up here, but that doesn't mean I'd trust them to funnel extra funds into the NHS! Like all political parties they're not above a little manipulation of facts and figures to suit their agenda. I'd need a traceable account of the extra spending before I'd vote for considerable tax hikes. The extra taxation under discussion is sweetie money to most.

On 19/12/2017 at 4:48 PM, mattyboy1973 said:

What is the likelihood of that in much of Scotland?

Edinburgh has the Financial Services industry, i work with a number of middle managment level contractors on £400-£500 a day which is around £105-£130k per annum assuming continual employment. 

Aberdeen has oil which , while things arent as good as they were, is still well paid if you can secure a job. The avg for the lowest level 'roustabout' (a cleaning/painting/tidying monkey) is supposedly £60k per annum but again contractors will be on substantially more.

My sister in law fell out with me recently when discussing wages. Shes a Police Constable and was apoplectic when i told her that a mid level project manager contracting at a bank can take home more that the chief constable of her force (Gloucestershire - £132k)

On 19/12/2017 at 17:25, ElPapasito said:

Definitely the poorest article I have seen from the wonderful Merryn.  Say you are dual-earning family both on about £150,000 with a few kids. Nicola Sturgeon just stole your skiing holiday is either very poorly constructed irony or shows a lack of connection with the plebs.

No, she has not. You were meant to get some well second hand skis from ebay (or better yet, buy some discounted new ski in summer at a big discount!) and head for Cairngorm / Glencoe to support the local skiing industry. I skied in Scotland in the past, I saved thousand of pounds but it was a bit of a gamble. There are days that was way too windy and time that we did not have enough snow but it is cheap.