House Price Crash Forum
HPC Pollster

Brexit - Have you changed your mind?

Brexit  

464 members have voted

1. 1. Since voting on the UK leaving the EU, have you reconsidered your position?

• Voted remain, still want to remain
    • Voted remain, now want to leave
    • Voted leave, now want to remain
    • Voted leave, still want to leave

Good to see that accusing people of being Russian is the best argument you can come up with. Are the 280 people who voted with me on this poll Russian as well?

And it was made abundantly clear by the Prime Minister himself before the referendum that leaving would mean leaving the customs union etc etc. Everyone understood that completely. Nearly all leave voters understand that there will be short/medium term consequences.

Most leave votes (and the ones I speak to) voted 'leave' with the next 20-50 years in mind, not the next 5 (or even 10).

Edited by Errol

The WHINGEING coming from the entitled liberal elite over this is now frightening.

When did they have more rights to an opinion then everyone else? Monied inheritees with MOR educational backgrounds and a leg up from daddy are all over social media proclaiming the stupidity of brexiters.

On 07/10/2018 at 21:26, Si1 said:

The WHINGEING coming from the entitled liberal elite over this is now frightening.

When did they have more rights to an opinion then everyone else? Monied inheritees with MOR educational backgrounds and a leg up from daddy are all over social media proclaiming the stupidity of brexiters.

Ah come on now, you have to admit it's a disaster? I knew it was going to be, but the magnitude of the disaster, the incompetence of UK.gov, has taken even me by surprise 😀

As for the "entitled liberal elite", the "Monied inheritees with MOR educational backgrounds and a leg up from daddy", don't you worry your pretty little head about them, they'll be alright Jack. Console yourself with the thought that they've probably already done the sums and are actually chuckling to themselves behind the whingeing façade!

5 hours ago, AThirdWay said:

Ah come on now, you have to admit it's a disaster? I knew it was going to be, but the magnitude of the disaster, the incompetence of UK.gov, has taken even me by surprise 😀

actually no

19 minutes ago, AThirdWay said:

No? What is going well?

Firstly perhaps you should make up your mind what question you actually want to ask instead of leaning on a diffuse definition of the word 'disaster'.

1 minute ago, Si1 said:

Firstly perhaps you should make up your mind what question you actually want to ask instead of leaning on a diffuse definition of the word 'disaster'.

I thought the question was to the point, albeit with a broad scope? What, from the UK perspective, has went well with the brexit process to date?

38 minutes ago, AThirdWay said:

I thought the question was to the point, albeit with a broad scope? What, from the UK perspective, has went well with the brexit process to date?

Why did you ask me a random question then, if you are saying it has no connection to your previous statement?

5 hours ago, Si1 said:

Why did you ask me a random question then, if you are saying it has no connection to your previous statement?

Ah, I see. Sorry, I was a bit slow on the pick up there 🤣

9 hours ago, AThirdWay said:

Ah, I see. Sorry, I was a bit slow on the pick up there 🤣

I assume the terms 'negotiation' and 'legitimate election result' are similarly challenging.

4 hours ago, Si1 said:

I assume the terms 'negotiation' and 'legitimate election result' are similarly challenging.

I understand what an election result is but what has that got to do with Brexit? I suppose the election result last year was something else that didn't go well for for the party that gave us Brexit ("strong and stable' 😀)!

As for 'negotiation', that was the very subject that my question was directed at. What has gone well with the negotiations? How far has the UK Gov moved on their demands, how far has the EU bent?

On 07/10/2018 at 21:26, Si1 said:

This seems like a collective failure to progress round the change curve, and coming to accept the world - or at least the people in it - isnt quite what they thought afterall.  Denial-anger-resignation-accepance is the order and they are trapped in stages 1 to 2.

For the record I was pragmatic rather than ideological Remainer, but dont want a second vote nor end up in the Norway arrangement as denying the outcome of the verdict of the people may set a vary dangerous precident.

I suspect many leavers may be disappointed that leaving doesnt fix the countries ills, but the silver lining for me is the unexpected damage/wake-up it may do to the establishment and existing political parties may produce something better- albeit by accident than design- hence i would vote leave now rather than wait for demographics to force it.

Edited by nightowl

10 minutes ago, nightowl said:

I suspect many leavers may be disappointed that leaving doesnt fix the countries ills, 

That presumes that we know what they individually wanted from the referendum. I'm suspect of the notion that many people saw it as a silver bullet.

3 minutes ago, Si1 said:

That presumes that we know what they individually wanted from the referendum. I'm suspect of the notion that many people saw it as a silver bullet.

Indeed it is hard to measure it, but if i discuss the subject with anyone I try to ask why they voted what they did, and certainly not lecture them on why they/others are wrong and learn nothing.  I also studied the voting pattern graphs and try to make a broad assessment of whats happened but ultimately the referendum didnt ask "why" to anyone but my guess is as good as can be but still a guess ultimately.

10 hours ago, AThirdWay said:

As for 'negotiation', that was the very subject that my question was directed at. What has gone well with the negotiations? How far has the UK Gov moved on their demands, how far has the EU bent?

This messy negotiation is pretty much what I expected, and there will be echoes of it influencing us for a decade more.

In fairness to you, remainders clearly didn't want this to happen, well obviously 

As far as my impression is valid, I do believe brexiters expected a messy divorce. In fact if they didn't then they needed their heads examining.

But that was (or should have been) something we took into account in voting Leave.

12 hours ago, Si1 said:

This messy negotiation is pretty much what I expected, and there will be echoes of it influencing us for a decade more.

In fairness to you, remainders clearly didn't want this to happen, well obviously 

As far as my impression is valid, I do believe brexiters expected a messy divorce. In fact if they didn't then they needed their heads examining.

But that was (or should have been) something we took into account in voting Leave.

As I mentioned in my first post, I also expected the negotiations to be messy (I used the word "disaster"), but not as messy (disastrous) as this!

We could go through all of the Brexiteers that were on the telly pre-referendum, listing their statements on how easy Brexit would be. We could go through almost every newspaper headline pre-referendum telling us how bright and shiny the future will be 24 months from triggering Article 50, and how we'll be able to forge a better way in the world, free of the EUSSR.

If we take all of that coverage into account, it is not unreasonable to assume that those leave voters who believed that coverage did NOT expect this level of mess. Is it reasonable to assume they did NOT take the likely mess into account prior to voting, because the media told them it was project fear?

Pre-amble over, I note you still haven't answered my question ;)

Just one thing that has gone well for UK.Gov in these negotiations.....

It is peak irony to note that the team we have negotiating with the EU, presumably the best we've got, will be the best team we've got to go out and attempt to negotiate trade deals with the rest of the world post Brexit.... Trade deals that we were told would be better than the EU negotiators managed..... the negotiators that are currently giving our "brave boys" (and girls) a kicking 😀

On 18/10/2018 at 14:23, AThirdWay said:

Well, she would say that wouldn't she.

It's generally considered that TM will stay on until the Brexit deal is done . . . and no one else wants to be saddled with the legacy. So she borrows a little more time for herself here . . .