House Price Crash Forum

Brexit - Have you changed your mind?

HPC Pollster

Brexit  

472 members have voted

1. 1. Since voting on the UK leaving the EU, have you reconsidered your position?

• Voted remain, still want to remain
    • Voted remain, now want to leave
    • Voted leave, now want to remain
    • Voted leave, still want to leave

HOLA441
HOLA442

I voted 'I voted remain, but now I want to leave.' to demonstrate how pointless online polls with a tiny self selected sample are.

Edited by Guest

HOLA443

I voted leave and still want to leave.

The only thing i wish i could changeis who is doing to negotiating on our behalf, and how bad both of the houses are being about this.

Its making the UK look stupid, weak and fractured to the rest of the world.

But thats the world we live in. 

If only we could work together as a united country.

HOLA444

I should add that I voted leave, have always wanted to leave but, if anything, the farce and behaviour by the EU since the vote has only increased the strength of my feeling.

It is even more vital now that the country leaves and distances itself from the toxic EU leadership. I want absolutely nothing to do with them anymore. They are a joke.

Edited by Errol

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

There were two outcomes possible before the Brexit vote

1) A remain where economically we would continue the norm of Europe wide mild growth to stagnation for the developed economies

2) A Brexit (from all EU the major institutions and frameworks) that would cause near term economic issues but deliver mid term to long term recovery and growth due to being more agile than the EU behemoth 

What we will get due to the vote being close and the fact that remainers are still desperate to stall all efforts to strengthen the UKs negotiating position is a worse of all deals where neither the Brexit objectives are met nor the Economic prospects.

This will then be pointed out as 'See, we told you so'

Unfortunately the average voter can see through this sham - caused by lack of leadership and a political establishment that consider the electorate to be beneath contempt and 'know better' - ably supported by the London dominated media that pushes 'Project Fear' 

Edited by moneyfornothing

HOLA448

I haven't been following this s##tshow particularly closely, but on casual inspection it seems May has yielded to everything.  

The EU showed their game plan, as if it was ever in doubt, in the days immediately after the so-called conclusion of the first negotiating stage, when "all of a sudden" it was "revealed" that other non EU countries have said "you can't give the UK a better deal than you have given to us". Bunch of c****, all of them. Pathetic whimpering, simpering behaviour by the UK government. 

HOLA449

Voted remain, predicted the disaster that would unfurl during the negotiations and have been surprised that UK gov has failed to reach even my low expectations of them.

Still amused at the claims that the intransigence of the EU negotiation team is proof that the EU is somehow letting it's members down. These are negotiations to determine the EU's relationship with an external country, the tough tactics of the EU team shows the clout that we are walking away from.

To complain about this outcome is to recognise that the UK's negotiating position is weak. Not only in this negotiation, but in the many others we face in the future.

HOLA4410

. have some sympathy for our negotiators because no thought was ever given to the possibility of Britain voting 'the wrong way'.

The referendum was possibly the most irresponsible action put upon us in my lifetime - and of course, it never was about the EU, only Cameron's party neutralising the UKIP threat.

I have no time for the central control freaks in Brussels, nor the geopolitical, NATO controlled mission creep, the swingeing and totally arbitrary fines and sanctions placed on any country trying to defend its local interests, the truly shocking rise in poverty across the entire Southern Mediterranean as the price of defending the single currency . . .  need I go on.

Was Brexit the way to challenge the EU? Or are we in a position to do so at this time?

At the moment it doesn't look like it. But it's obvious no one thought it through.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA4414

The most interesting thing about this chart is that HPC members are so different from mainstream opinion. 52% in the referendum vs 66% in this poll, thats 14% points, or about 30% more HPC members supporting Brexit than in the general public.

I would have thought the membership here would skew towards the south and south east where a lot of people are priced out, so if anything you would expect to see more remainers on HPC?

HOLA4415
On 12/31/2017 at 3:47 PM, Habeas Domus said:

The most interesting thing about this chart is that HPC members are so different from mainstream opinion. 52% in the referendum vs 66% in this poll, thats 14% points, or about 30% more HPC members supporting Brexit than in the general public.

I would have thought the membership here would skew towards the south and south east where a lot of people are priced out, so if anything you would expect to see more remainers on HPC?

That's a great point, and following from that, it seems to suggest that HPC members were under-represented in the polls before the referendum. 

HOLA4416

The most likely reason is that a lot of remainers feel out numbered on HPC, rightly or wrongly - it could just be that the Brexiters are more vocal - and so the remainers give up and stop visiting the site.

Internet forums do tend to promote an echo chamber of 'like minds', which is something to be wary of - there could be people who are pro remain and pro HPC whose voices arent being heard here.

HOLA4417

Been vaguely keeping an eye on the numbers. Initially it was around 69% total leavers, which has gradually drifted down to about 65%. Possibly new joiners are less pro brexit than the established members, although still majority pro brexit. And there seems to have been a surge in voting recently. I'm sure it was about 350 votes cast the other day, now 414

Edited by Steppenpig

HOLA4418
On 2.1.2018 at 9:11 PM, Habeas Domus said:

The most likely reason is that a lot of remainers feel out numbered on HPC, rightly or wrongly - it could just be that the Brexiters are more vocal - and so the remainers give up and stop visiting the site.

Internet forums do tend to promote an echo chamber of 'like minds', which is something to be wary of - there could be people who are pro remain and pro HPC whose voices arent being heard here.

You jest? Have you read the brexit thread? It's 90% vocal remainers.

HOLA4419
On ‎05‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 12:51 PM, Steppenpig said:

You saved me typing that. :lol:

In fact I have used that thread itself as an example of how a small number of very vocal posters can give a completely different view of reality.

If you went on that as a newcomer to this site - read it for a week - you would probably think about 70-80% of the posters on here were remainers.

• 4 weeks later...
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
On 05/01/2018 at 12:51 PM, Steppenpig said:

Yep, basically an echo-chamber. It's the same reason why London, the Politicians, Bankers and their friends were all shocked by Brexit and Trump. They only ever talk to each other and they all agree, so when they find out that the rest of the country doesn't agree they are rather shocked!

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
32 minutes ago, Peter Hun said:

The real reason is the Brexiteers have lost the argument and given up.

It isn't an argument and hence most can't be bothered to engage. We voted to leave and are leaving. The argument was pre-referendum and everyone had the chance to vote.

The only job now is to leave.

HOLA4425