House Price Crash Forum
Midlifemum

Surely we are near the end?

Working families evicted because of high rents- when will it all end? You work but will cant afford private rents and end up homeless with your family- when will it all end? Protect BTL private landlords while the entire country burns around them? 

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/dec/15/homelessness-report-working-families-stable-jobs-local-government-ombudsman

8 minutes ago, btd1981 said:

Wonder what their family income is compared to their compatriots working half the hours with a nice little top up?

Probably lower due to housing benefit.

Although some of the cases are sad this one

A disabled single parent with four children was put up in B&B accommodation for nearly two and a half years after her benefits were capped.

Makes you wonder why she could not move somewhere cheaper.  I know people who despite never having been to the North West have moved there because they could not afford housing in the South East - why not the same for this woman?

12 hours ago, Midlifemum said:

Working families evicted because of high rents- when will it all end? You work but will cant afford private rents and end up homeless with your family- when will it all end? Protect BTL private landlords while the entire country burns around them? 

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/dec/15/homelessness-report-working-families-stable-jobs-local-government-ombudsman

Most of us were at the end 10 years ago.

Slowly but surely everyone is catching up.

3 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Agreed, at this point it's all so far beyond everything - phrases like 'beyond all reason' are a distant memory. I remember beyond all reason quite fondly. Eee, those mid-noughties, when ye could gerra bedsit over a chippie in Lewisham for two hundred grand, them were the days.

4 hours ago, iamnumerate said:

Makes you wonder why she could not move somewhere cheaper.  I know people who despite never having been to the North West have moved there because they could not afford housing in the South East - why not the same for this woman?

I agree.

Can't wait for the moment all the elites have to police themselves, educate their own kids and take our their own garbage.

5 hours ago, iamnumerate said:

The result of a fast growing population is seeing families separated due to housing costs.. I guess if your disabled with 3 kids and you have a support network, family and friends, moving far away in search of cheaper rent might not be a good solution.. I only pay London rents to be near the family, old people who need shopping and chores done each week, and parents who look after the kids and do pickups and drop offs, also allows us both to work full time jobs to give to our landlord ?

i don’t think the tax payer should pay people’s higher rents just because they want to live in a certain area.. but we do have lots of social problems due to the growing population, and separation of families is one of them.. it will cost us more money as well, without families to support elderly relatives/disabled the system will have to take the strain.. 

What happens when generation rent retire and bankrupt the country? More migration will leave UK citizens living on the streets.. 

BTL will cause a £43 billion Shortfall by 2032, the difference between what people will receive in pensions and what they will pay in rent! It’s complete stupidity by this incompetent corrupt government, it’s going to bankrupt the country,, including our current £26 billion housing benefit that’s £69 billion on rent top ups!

Police £12 billion
Schools £26 billion
NHS £123 billion
Rent £69 billion, 

so we will have to reduce public services to pay people’s rent! FFS

52 minutes ago, jonb2 said:

I agree.

Can't wait for the moment all the elites have to police themselves, educate their own kids and take our their own garbage.

they will just force the unemployed to work for free or no benefits.  the new national service ;)

5 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Slowly but surely everyone is catching up.

I was at the end in 2013 and was about to bite the bullet and buy, then Carney and HTB came long.

To say they've destroyed the plans i had for raising my child is an understatement, i have pure hatred for these people yet the lemmings continue to back the majority of this filth in Brexit, a nation full of traitors.

1 hour ago, macca13 said:

The result of a fast growing population is seeing families separated due to housing costs.. I guess if your disabled with 3 kids and you have a support network, family and friends, moving far away in search of cheaper rent might not be a good solution.. I only pay London rents to be near the family, old people who need shopping and chores done each week, and parents who look after the kids and do pickups and drop offs, also allows us both to work full time jobs to give to our landlord ?

i don’t think the tax payer should pay people’s higher rents just because they want to live in a certain area.. but we do have lots of social problems due to the growing population, and separation of families is one of them.. it will cost us more money as well, without families to support elderly relatives/disabled the system will have to take the strain.. 

What happens when generation rent retire and bankrupt the country? More migration will leave UK citizens living on the streets.. 

BTL will cause a £43 billion Shortfall by 2032, the difference between what people will receive in pensions and what they will pay in rent! It’s complete stupidity by this incompetent corrupt government, it’s going to bankrupt the country,, including our current £26 billion housing benefit that’s £69 billion on rent top ups!

Police £12 billion
Schools £26 billion
NHS £123 billion
Rent £69 billion, 

so we will have to reduce public services to pay people’s rent! FFS

My family would be less separated if the taxpayer didn't pay other people to be near their family.  When the benefit cap came in a pro single parent was interviewed on the radio about it and asked "What do your friends think about you having to move?"

The answer "Most of my friends who work have moved to live somewhere cheaper!".

(BTW the stupidity didn't start with the Government, in fact they tax BTL more than before.

1 hour ago, BearsEye said:

I was at the end in 2013 and was about to bite the bullet and buy, then Carney and HTB came long.

To say they've destroyed the plans i had for raising my child is an understatement, i have pure hatred for these people yet the lemmings continue to back the majority of this filth in Brexit, a nation full of traitors.

Yep. You spend years saving a 20k deposit (for example) and then suddenly you find yourself in competition with a load of people that have got as far as 5k. What else was going to happen?

The people responsible for this debacle either knew exactly what they were up to, or are far too dense to be running a country.

26 minutes ago, btd1981 said:

Yep. You spend years saving a 20k deposit (for example) and then suddenly you find yourself in competition with a load of people that have got as far as 5k. What else was going to happen?

The people responsible for this debacle either knew exactly what they were up to, or are far too dense to be running a country.

Can almost stick a zero on that 20k as to what ive saved through physical labour to give my kid a settled up bringing. Stress its caused in the last few years is unbelievable.

I could have bought one of two 3 bed detached houses for 220k then, i held back as prices were coming down ... then boom in an instant HTB sent prices insane, now the same place will cost 320k, chances of it dropping back that level??? not a lot in the short term. 

Currently pushing a couple of councils to buy a self build plot via right to build, mildly optimistic something will come of it in the next 12 months.

I would love to meet Osborne and/or Cameron one day.

15 hours ago, iamnumerate said:

My family would be less separated if the taxpayer didn't pay other people to be near their family.  When the benefit cap came in a pro single parent was interviewed on the radio about it and asked "What do your friends think about you having to move?"

The answer "Most of my friends who work have moved to live somewhere cheaper!".

(BTW the stupidity didn't start with the Government, in fact they tax BTL more than before.

No doubt benefits make it worse, but the fact is that in a rational system nobody working would have to move hundreds of miles to afford a home. 

Even Kensington billionaires need nurses. 

17 hours ago, macca13 said:

i don’t think the tax payer should pay people’s higher rents just because they want to live in a certain area

Absolutely agree. I'm in favour of a welfare state but people should receive X amount in benefits according to their need and they should then have to make the rational choices on what is more important to them, living in a certain area or eating better or whatever.

17 hours ago, macca13 said:

but we do have lots of social problems due to the growing population,

I disagree slightly on this. The problem isn't so acute because of a growing population, the problem is the population are all moving to denser areas where the jobs are. There are hundreds of thousands of cheap houses in the UK but there are no decent jobs near them. This is caused by the developing nations taking back a share of the global wealth by being allowed to participate in the markets (manufacturing, other low skilled labour jobs) while developed nations concentrate on high skilled jobs in cities.

15 hours ago, BearsEye said:

Can almost stick a zero on that 20k as to what ive saved through physical labour to give my kid a settled up bringing. Stress its caused in the last few years is unbelievable.

I could have bought one of two 3 bed detached houses for 220k then, i held back as prices were coming down ... then boom in an instant HTB sent prices insane, now the same place will cost 320k, chances of it dropping back that level??? not a lot in the short term. 

Currently pushing a couple of councils to buy a self build plot via right to build, mildly optimistic something will come of it in the next 12 months.

I would love to meet Osborne and/or Cameron one day.

+1 when I do meet Osborne/Cameron the expletives rolling off my tongue will be uncontrollable 

23 hours ago, North London Rent Girl said:

Agreed, at this point it's all so far beyond everything - phrases like 'beyond all reason' are a distant memory. I remember beyond all reason quite fondly. Eee, those mid-noughties, when ye could gerra bedsit over a chippie in Lewisham for two hundred grand, them were the days.

POTW!

We are near the end.

Christmas market is normally packed with shoppers, car parks full at mid-day. Not this time in my neck of the woods, no queues, slightly busier than November that’s all.

Prices however, higher than last year. Idiots have not figured out what’s happening 

Busier than a normal Saturday today but nothing like previous xmasses. Plenty of empty parking spaces. Not surprising - I went to buy my usual thing in Morrisons (a chilled veg curry meal deal) and instead of 6 pounds it is now 7. Just like that. With wages flat or declining. Who do they think they are? 

Hmm; the other evening made 10 servings (much of it to cool and then go into freezer) for around £10 + energy costs of oven/slow-cooker + some time to be involved in it.

A lot of it comes down on the buyer, although I realise that's not a popular view, given the projection some push about the purest innocence of people to have no responsibility/ability/understanding to weigh anything up in life for their choices.  

I've seen the £6-£8 ready-made meals.... I see they have their buyers...  "Who do they think they are" (the supermarkets?) - "Who do you think you are." :lol:   Your choice.

Or this dish.. maybe £14 for 8 individual servings.

£8 for a Kilo of Oxtail Cuts.  Plum Tomatoes 37p a tin.  Leeks £1.  Celery £1.  Potatoes £1.50.   Bottle of Stout £1.15.

Jamie's Easy Slow-cooked Beef Stew

11 hours ago, mathschoc said:

We are near the end.

Christmas market is normally packed with shoppers, car parks full at mid-day. Not this time in my neck of the woods, no queues, slightly busier than November that’s all.

Prices however, higher than last year. Idiots have not figured out what’s happening 

Friend of mine is german and was wandering around the Edinburgh xmas market wondering where the 'proper' german xmas market stalls had gone...apparently edinburgh council put the ground rents up 600% year on year so very few came! 

the answer has been the same for 20 years but no-one seems willing to do it on here, just moan and moan and yet fail to understand they are creating the problems for themselves.

The answer is find an alternative to the slavery you have created for yourself.  i rented a unit for my work, and then build a bedroom into the office area inside it. i also lived in a van for 2 years and a garden shed for another year. while doing so i kept myself on the council housing lists in a few places and eventually something came up. there is no fecking way im paying any nosey, interfering, amatuer landlord half my wages so they can feel smug about little me. no way , absolutely no way i would stay in hotels which incidently often work out cheaper that renting a flat, imagine that ehh, flats so expensive that you can stay in decent hotels cheaper with no bills or council tax and someone comes in and cleans your room and changes the sheets, 

yet i sit on here since this website was created listening to all the injustices.  your problem is your playing the game then moaning about it, you are by default creating your own downfall. 

Go buy a large van can get a decent sprinter for 3k/5k kit it out very nice, and live yourself a cheaper and more private and stress free life, funny thats what a lot of your landlords are doing, they are spending the rent money on motorhomes and living in them half the year while their tenents get shafted from them because they feel somehow ashamed to do the same. well one time i had some sympathy for the plight but not now because none seems to want to do anything to help their predicament. 

my next move is to buy a tumble down fixer upper shack in france or ireland or somewhere achievable for 20k/30k and only work 6 months a year. this would be completely un-achievable if paying private landlords rent, infact the only way to not be doing that for ever is 1. do as above or 2. inheriate the money.

1 hour ago, regprentice said:

Friend of mine is german and was wandering around the Edinburgh xmas market wondering where the 'proper' german xmas market stalls had gone...apparently edinburgh council put the ground rents up 600% year on year so very few came! 

i was looking into getting a stall here. the same thing has happened around a lot of the country and the council is totaly to blame. the stalls now cost more than permanent shops do.  in edonburgh they raised the stall price from 7k to 12k each that works out at 2k per week for a market stall. and people wonder why the stall holders chrge so much. in manchester they charge 110 per day for 60 days ie 7k. and they want paid upfront. this is all done by council people squeezing every last penny they can out of working people, council people with no idea how to run a buisness themselves. 

On 15/12/2017 at 12:23 PM, iamnumerate said:

In the  healthier places I have lived there is a healthy balance of both those who have more money than they could ever need or use, some who earn and spend and do very well for themselves and family, and the  poorer people who work hard for little, do not work or do not work because their health is not good enough for them to work.......there is no balance if the poor and the sick are sent to other parts of the country for other places, fewer jobs, less wealth and those just about looking after themselves to have to support them ....The children of the poor are just as worthy, just as bright and just as good as those born to richer stock.....do not disadvantage them further.;)