House Price Crash Forum

Sunday Politics voxpop

Spirit

HOLA441

Loved the bloke who they just asked whether he was optimistic or pessimistic about the Brexit deal....to which he replied " I hope the whole lot crashes,  so that house prices will come down"

Never thought I'd hear that sort of comment on the Beeb!

was it someone from here? ?

HOLA442
15 minutes ago, Spirit said:

Loved the bloke who they just asked whether he was optimistic or pessimistic about the Brexit deal....to which he replied " I hope the whole lot crashes,  so that house prices will come down"

Appealing to their priced out renting, London centric, under 40 year old, Guardian reading demographic? Well for a second anyway,

Those Vox pop pick and choose and put a rubber ball in a box reports are rather silly - I am surprised they went as far as Basingstoke. The last one I saw sought to estimate UK public opinion by sampling the views of the people of Putney!  I am just surprised they allowed a BBC reporter to venture outside the North and south circular!

Edited by MARTINX9

HOLA443
1 hour ago, Spirit said:

Well yes as each year passes more and more people will see that their interests are best served by seeing the whole charade come crashing down.

HOLA444
1 hour ago, MARTINX9 said:

The last one I saw sought to estimate UK public opinion by sampling the views of the people of Putney! 

I hate the BBC with a passion, and want to see the pus drinking organ die, however the balls are continually mocked by the Presenter as being very unscientific.  It is viewed upon as not being correct.  Rather this should be said about the Stations News output as well.

HOLA445
2 hours ago, Spirit said:

And if house prices come down, will that twit have a job to pay for it?

Or is he sitting on a pile of bitcoins waiting to pounce....

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

I guess it’s difficult to imagine a situation where house prices come down significantly, but other areas of the economy remain healthy while it is happening, with no major increase in unemployment. It would need to be a slow shift rather than a situation where ‘the whole lot crashes’ so house prices can then fall. But the man in the Vox Pop segment wasn’t claiming to have a well thought out thesis to be fair to him.

HOLA4413
6 minutes ago, Still Dews said:

I guess it’s difficult to imagine a situation where house prices come down significantly, but other areas of the economy remain healthy while it is happening, with no major increase in unemployment. It would need to be a slow shift rather than a situation where ‘the whole lot crashes’ so house prices can then fall. But the man in the Vox Pop segment wasn’t claiming to have a well thought out thesis to be fair to him.

Forget unemployment, underemployment is rampant. Smoke and mirrors.

HOLA4414
14 minutes ago, Still Dews said:

Or the guy just has very little to lose compared to a lot other people. Crisis are needed to push the big reset button. The reset is bound to happen in this imbalance.

Edited by Freki

HOLA4415
24 minutes ago, Still Dews said:

The last 40 years have seen huge drops in the price of food, clothing and consumer electronics relative to wages. No big spike in unemployment. Housing is just another thing you have to pay for to stay alive.

The bankers love the fact that people "imagine" a significant drop in house prices would mean the lights go out, no food on supermarket shelves, tanks on the streets.

HOLA4416
4 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

The last 40 years have seen huge drops in the price of food, clothing and consumer electronics relative to wages. No big spike in unemployment. Housing is just another thing you have to pay for to stay alive.

The bankers love the fact that people "imagine" a significant drop in house prices would mean the lights go out, no food on supermarket shelves, tanks on the streets.

No food inflation? You cannot be serious.

quality-street-sca_3528170b.jpg

HOLA4417
Just now, zugzwang said:

No food inflation? You cannot be serious.

quality-street-sca_3528170b.jpg

Not sure I would class Quality Street as food... I was thinking more meat, vegetables, canned beans/chickpeas/tomatoes, flour, that sort of thing.

I don't understand junk food pricing at all. Walkers crisps cost more per kg than decent steak.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
23 hours ago, Dorkins said:

Not sure I would class Quality Street as food... I was thinking more meat, vegetables, canned beans/chickpeas/tomatoes, flour, that sort of thing.

I don't understand junk food pricing at all. Walkers crisps cost more per kg than decent steak.

Digging into the inflation report, you can see that the cost of bread has jumped by 5.3% in the last year.

Butter is up by over 21% - enough to make any late-breakfasting readers splutter over their toast.

Imported lamb has risen by over 12% in the last year (compared to just 3.2% for home-reared animals), and fresh fish is 11.2% more expensive than in November 2016.

Coffee was 10% more expensive than a year ago, but tea prices were virtually flat, according to the ONS’s data (online here)

630.png?w=620&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fi

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
7 hours ago, Dorkins said:

Right, but in the late 70s people spent 25% of household income on food. We're about a factor of 2 below that now.

https://www.ifs.org.uk/bns/bn128.pdf

That was the picture in 2010/11. Here's a more recent assessment of the UK's economic prospects from the IFS.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/nov/23/uk-no-earnings-growth-budget-brexit-productivity-ifs

Britain’s leading financial thinktank has warned workers to expect an unprecedented two lost decades of earnings growth and many more years of austerity as a result of the marked slowdown in the economy announced in Philip Hammond’s budget.

The Institute for Fiscal Studies said in its traditional post-budget analysis that forecasts slashing productivity, earnings and growth in every year until 2022 made “pretty grim reading”, and predicted that even by the middle of the next decade, Britain’s public finances would still be in the red.

Paul Johnson, the IFS director, said the OBR’s decision to reduce its growth forecasts by one-quarter over the next five years would delay deficit reduction, limit Hammond’s ability to ease pressure on welfare and public services and harm living standards.

“We are in danger of losing not just one but getting on for two decades of earnings growth,” he said. “We will all have to get used to the idea that steadily rising living standards may be a thing of the increasingly distant past.”

The nascent recovery in earnings, which were growing through 2014 to the first half of 2016, had been choked off, Johnson said. “That they might still be below their 2008 level in 2022 as the OBR forecasts is truly astonishing. Let’s hope this forecast turns out to be too pessimistic,” he added.